MCU Falcon (Redux) WIP - Pic Heavy

SMP Designs

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
***UPDATE*** Costume was found and delivered - check the most recent post for details. ***UPDATE***

As some of you may know, I have been working on this project with @JJ Griffin. We completed the project and it was, much to our dismay, lost in transit. So, I'm going to be rebuilding it for him and will be upgrading certain aspects. All of the pieces described in the first few posts were part of the ver 1.0 suit and worked very well - so they will just be copied for ver 2.0. I'll cover the upgraded pieces as they are made.

If you want to follow along on JJ's part of the build, he has a thread on it as well.

I began with creating the mock ups for the main top sections: shirt and vest. As usual, I used muslin to create a basic sloper pattern to the client's measurements. From this muslin base, I drew out the sections of the shirt that would be stretch and the areas that would be made out of the Cordura and other 'ballistic' materials.

I then used the same pattern to draw out the vest and how it will match up to the shirt. I created these mock ups - just very basic shapes at this point - in Cordura and jumbo spandex for the initial fitting.

falcon-shirt-1.jpg
falcon-top-1.jpg
falcon-top-2.jpg

I used half of the original pattern to sketch out the vest details. Using reference pictures, I sketched out all the vest parts onto a mock up in sharpie.

falcon-front-1.jpg
falcon-back-1.jpg
falcon-vest-1.jpg

Once the details were sketched out onto the mock up, it was removed from the form, cut apart and traced onto paper to create a usable template for cutting the piece.

falcon-vest-2.jpg
falcon-vest-3.jpg
falcon-vest-4.jpg

The mock up pieces were sent off to the client for fitting as well as an additional copy of the template so that it could be compared to the templates for the hardware for scale.

Once the fittings were done with the mock ups and I had notes back on alterations, I was able to use those notes to create a modified template for the vest.

falcon-vest-6.jpg

There are several main materials going into this project:

• Grey 500D Cordura
  • Grey textured 100D Cordura (the two greys have slightly different textures and add depth)
  • Red 500D Cordura
  • Grey equestrian stretch
  • Headliner
  • 2mm EVA foam (craft foam that comes in a roll)

I began by creating the layered 'armor' pieces for the vest from bottom to top. The central ab section was created with three main pieces that were all detailed and layered on top of each other. Once they were all assembled, the base for the upper abs was attached.

falcon-vest-7.jpg
falcon-vest-8.jpg

The detail for the upper ab section was created with 2 layers of 2mm EVA foam and covered in Cordura. The first layer of EVA make the main shape and the curves on the sides were cut and spray mounted on top.

falcon-vest-9.jpg

This entire piece was then covered with Cordura. The Cordura was spray mounted down and the details at the curves were stitched down using a zipper foot to retail the bevel. Then, the allowance was folded under and hot glued down on the back side of the foam.

falcon-vest-10.jpg
falcon-vest-11.jpg

Once complete, it was glued to the rest of the ab section and the curved piece that separates the upper and lower ab sections was made and attached in the same manner.

falcon-vest-12.jpg

The chest section was next. This one began as a single piece, backed with headliner foam and edged at the top with bias tape. I then added the red sections that would serve as placeholders for the cast pieces that would be added later.

falcon-chest-1.jpg

Using the template I'd created earlier, I began finalizing and laying out the detail pieces.

falcon-chest-2.jpg

I worked from the center out. All of the detail pieces were created in a similar manner to the ab section above - 2mm EVA was covered in foam - and, using a combination of stitching and hot glue, the pieces were created one by one and layered onto the main chest piece.

falcon-chest-3.jpg
falcon-chest-4.jpg
falcon-chest-5.jpg
falcon-chest-6.jpg

Next, I started on the shirt. A number of the costumes that I make consist of an undershirt that contains some shoulder and collar details and the sleeves, a vest that comprises most of the main torso details and pants. This one is no different.

I began the shirt with the sleeves, which are quite detailed, considering they are short. A template was made for the details based on the fitting mock up and a pattern was traced out onto paper. The base sleeve was cut from a twill lining and the color-blocks and detail edges were stitched down. The sleeves were then finished with a binding at the edge.

falcon-shirt-12.jpg
falcon-shirt-2.jpg
falcon-shirt-3.jpg

The yoke has an open, detailed "henley" style neckline. There is also a contrast segment in the center back created by combining the two different grey Cordura fabrics.

falcon-shirt-4.jpg
falcon-shirt-5.jpg
falcon-shirt-6.jpg

The shirt was finished with the stretch fabric and the sleeves attached.

falcon-shirt-7.jpg
falcon-shirt-8.jpg

Here are all of the pieces together at this point on the ver 1.0 base vest.

falcon-ver1-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, it got lost? Holy poop, that's terrible! The project is looking good, man. Looking very good. That's a hard suit to mimic and you're doing a a phenomenal job thus far

Wait, it got lost? Holy poop, that's terrible! The project is looking good, man. Looking very good. That's a hard suit to mimic and you're doing a a phenomenal job thus far

Yep. A month of my life and a larger part of JJ's gone. Just vanished. Must not dwell, just push on.

Thanks! These are the pieces that were made in April. I was on such a tear to get it done, I was shooting pics but not posting anything. Now that I've come up for air, I'm getting around to getting some things posted that I'd been holding on. Plus, I was so bummed I was just not emotionally prepared to face it until now.

Fantastic news!!! The costume was delivered yesterday. I never started the rebuild as we were discussing different fabric treatments and then life got in the way for us both and it all got put on hold. But, the original was delivered and, as has been reported to me, it fits perfectly.

So, I'm in a better place to share the rest of my part of this build with you all. I have a lot of pics of the rest of the build and will share as I'm able to write it all up.

Stay tuned!

Excellent! I was thinking about this the other day. Huge bummer that it got lost earlier in the year but better late than never. I cant wait to see it !

Excellent! I was thinking about this the other day. Huge bummer that it got lost earlier in the year but better late than never. I cant wait to see it !

Yeah, I was floored when I got the news. So happy it was finally found! Everything is mad with the holidays but I'm hoping I'll get to find some time during the break to get some more pics and process posted. Cheers!

So I am guessing you are not working on this with JJ anymore since his disappearance :confused.

Looking good so far and glad it is back in your hands!

So I am guessing you are not working on this with JJ anymore since his disappearance :confused.

Looking good so far and glad it is back in your hands!

He has it, it was finally delivered to him and he let me know. So, I'm continuing on with all the images I saved from the build. I just felt weird posting updates while it was lost. Plus, I thought I might do a rebuild so I held off - yadda yadda.

Hi all! I'm finally getting around to posting some more of this project. I went through all of the images of the shoulder pad construction and here's how that went down:

Here are all of the pieces together at the point where I left off.

falcon-top-3-252x300.jpg
falcon-top-4-227x300.jpg

I received the raw 3-d printed pieces and tested them for fit and scale.

falcon-top-5-300x210.jpg
falcon-top-6-300x192.jpg
falcon-top-7-300x219.jpg
falcon-top-8-261x300.jpg

All of these pieces (with the exception of the shoulders) will be finalized, painted, finished and attached by the client. The final shoulder pieces were chromed and sent to me to cover and add to the main shoulder pads.

I began the shoulder pads by drafting out a template on the completed shirt and vest. Once I had the paper pattern complete, the pieces were cut from red cordura. Each section of each pad was lined in headliner foam and the edges were bound in red bias tape.

falcon-shoulder-1-300x202.jpg
falcon-shoulder-2-300x202.jpg

The pieces attach to the top of the shirt shoulders with heavy duty snaps and heavy elastic stretches across the chest and back to keep them in place under the vest. The 'tubing' was created by spray painting shoelaces silver and gluing them down. The shoulder bells will attach via heavy duty snaps and will be removable for storage, transportation and cleaning.

falcon-shoulder-6-300x195.jpg

With the main pads complete, I needed to create the lining for the shoulder bells. I cut some paper into a wide cone, put it inside the bell and traced the edge to make the template. I then added the overlap and allowance and cut the pieces from red cordura.

These were lined with headliner foam and the edges finished to fit neatly inside the 3-d printed pieces.

falcon-shoulder-3-300x216.jpg
falcon-shoulder-4-300x250.jpg
falcon-shoulder-5-239x300.jpg

Meanwhile, the final shoulder bells were delivered with the chrome finish completed. These were covered with the grey cordura accents and red piping. The snaps were attached to the inner pad and the pad was cemented to the inside of the finished bell.

falcon-shoulder-7-300x286.jpg
falcon-shoulder-8-259x300.jpg

Next, I'll cover the pants once I can get the images sorted.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back