Graflex Variations: Facts and vs. Replica

Glad this was bumped. I managed to confirm that my Empire saber is built with a replica base. I figured it was so from near mint condition of the Graflex.

image.jpg

I'd very much like to swap out the rivets for screws...

Good as place to post this question I think for reference sake....

So I managed to pick up a Graflex 3-cell for relatively cheap (relative in comparison to what these things are seemingly going for!), but it's seen better days...

So my questions to all of you who may have some experience in such things is:

a) What's the best way of cleaning some of the spot corrosion/rusting on the surface without further damaging the nickle plating
b) What's the best method of cleaning out the inside of the bottom tube that has heavy battery acid corrosion in it? I've read vinegar, coke or o mixture of baking soda and water - anyone else have a better suggestion or have used any of these previous methods with success?

Thanks guys!

David,

I've used a combination of one part white vinegar to two parts hot water (hot as in, just below the boiling point). Then dropping the Graflex tube or clamp into the mixture. I would then agitate the concoction by stirring the pot/bucket. I've read that you can create a paste with baking soda and white vinegar and then let that sit on the corroded area for a very short period, but have not tried that personally.

Another option that I have tried is electro-cleaning, which also involves white vinegar...this way of removing rust/oxidation is a bit involved though and requires a bit of investment for the equipment: a power source (or battery), two wires with alligator clips, a piece of metal bar.

David,

I've used a combination of one part white vinegar to two parts hot water (hot as in, just below the boiling point). Then dropping the Graflex tube or clamp into the mixture. I would then agitate the concoction by stirring the pot/bucket. I've read that you can create a paste with baking soda and white vinegar and then let that sit on the corroded area for a very short period, but have not tried that personally.

Another option that I have tried is electro-cleaning, which also involves white vinegar...this way of removing rust/oxidation is a bit involved though and requires a bit of investment for the equipment: a power source (or battery), two wires with alligator clips, a piece of metal bar.

Awesome! Thanks for the tips Andy!

i dont know if this will help but here is pictures of my LARBEL HK replica

graflex1.jpg

graflex2.jpg

graflex3.jpg

graflex4.jpg

bottom%20graflex.jpg

from my gathering it looks like all the LARBEL replicas came with 2 holes drilled in the bottom from factory, threw back searches it looks like the graflex sent to china for reproduction had 2 holes in the bottom. and the company reproduced the holes...

Last edited:

I second the vinegar solution. I've saved loads of old camera flashes caked in glue/tape gunk and leaked battery acid with vinegar, Q Tips, and a tooth brush. It's an old photographer's trick that really works. I've used the vinegar/backing soda combo to clean other things, but it's quite messy. It works though.

Good luck.

Wow, reading up on the Graflex is really nostalgic... I have a old Graflex 2 Cell that I bought about 4 years ago for something like 20 bucks. It's seen its better days, but I like the weathered look of it - But to make a Luke ANH out of it, I need a Graflex 3 Cell lower section. Anybody have any ideas on where to pick up a spare? (I'd prefer a real one, though I could manage a replica bottom.)

My vintage Graflex 2 Cell:
View attachment 348010

Is mostly complete, though it is missing the glass light in the front.

View attachment 348012

Has the correct straight brass pins, though one of them is missing, which might be visible in the first photo. Also notice the button, which is real as well.

View attachment 348013

The bunny ears are held in place by a rivet, NOT a screw. Definitely real.

View attachment 348014

The clamp is probably the worst part. Most of the chrome has flaked off over time, and these is some minor surface corrosion underneath where the clamp goes, but the clamp is still REAL. I did replace the lever with a repro though, but for some reason, unlike others this repro clamp doesn't exhibit the casting marks and the circular milled spots underneath it, making it more accurate. I do have a repro clamp around, but I'm torn as to whether or not to use the real deal, despite it's poor condition.

View attachment 348017

And finally, the 2 Cell bottom, still real. This one exhibits the patent number on it, though if I make a saber out of this, I would replace the bottom anyways. Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions anybody?

Maybe it's me, but I think the weathering on this graflex looks kinda awesome. I'd make a TFA saber and call it what the prop should look like after 60 years of battle and falling from a gas mining facility in the sky. But maybe I'm a sucker for a "piece of junk"

Maybe it's me, but I think the weathering on this graflex looks kinda awesome. I'd make a TFA saber and call it what the prop should look like after 60 years of battle and falling from a gas mining facility in the sky. But maybe I'm a sucker for a "piece of junk"

Heh, thanks. I still have it laying around, as Darth Real Life has all but bumped me out of doing any fun stuff. I'll get around to doing something out of it one day, but only when I have real time for it.

And one man's junk is another's treasure, remember, that's the cornerstone of our work. :cool

Here is that "R" you might have dropped. LARBEL*
i dont know if this will help but here is pictures of my LABEL HK replica

http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y323/lightningdan/ESB saber/graflex1.jpg
http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y323/lightningdan/ESB saber/graflex2.jpg
http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y323/lightningdan/ESB saber/graflex3.jpg
http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y323/lightningdan/ESB saber/graflex4.jpg
http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y323/lightningdan/ESB saber/bottom graflex.jpg

from my gathering it looks like all the LABEL replicas came with 2 holes drilled in the bottom from factory, threw back searches it looks like the graflex sent to china for reproduction had 2 holes in the bottom. and the company reproduced the holes...

Hello,
I'm new to the RPF, but I have read through this whole thread and I'm glad to see it's still alive and kicking. I also have a telegraph style 2-Cell and would love to get a 3-Cell bottom. I know this has already been touched upon in this thread but there did not seem to be any resolution to it. So, just wondering if anyone out there has any leads on Graflex 3-Cell bottoms. I am getting my 2-Cell telegraph back tomorrow, after having moved around for the last few years, and would be more than happy to post pictures if anyone is interested.
Thanks

Hello,
I'm new to the RPF, but I have read through this whole thread and I'm glad to see it's still alive and kicking. I also have a telegraph style 2-Cell and would love to get a 3-Cell bottom. I know this has already been touched upon in this thread but there did not seem to be any resolution to it. So, just wondering if anyone out there has any leads on Graflex 3-Cell bottoms. I am getting my 2-Cell telegraph back tomorrow, after having moved around for the last few years, and would be more than happy to post pictures if anyone is interested.
Thanks

There have been a couple that have recently shown up on eBay lately... but the last one just went for $225 with the clamp :facepalm

Yeah, I mistakenly paid that for just my 2-Cell telegraph about 7 years ago (I was young and impressionable) so I don't see much value in paying that much for, lets face it, the more "boring" end of the flash.

There have been a couple that have recently shown up on eBay lately... but the last one just went for $225 with the clamp :facepalm

at the rate graflex's are going if it was a folmer bottom i would have bought that!

And it was... probably about $75-$100 more than I would have paid personally (obviously since $225 was the BIN price lol)

You dodged a bullet. That was a frakking Parks replica clamp, maybe a Roman's. The spacing on the clamp is a dead give away. The bottom might have been a replica too, based on how soft the stamping looked. If the clamp was a Parks, odds are the bottom was too.

I told that seller that it was a replica and described how you can tell, but he said it was a real Graflex.

I feel bad for whoever bought it.

You dodged a bullet. That was a frakking Parks replica clamp, maybe a Roman's. Looks like the bottom might have been a replica too, based on how soft the stamping was.

I told that seller that it was a replica. I feel bad for whoever bought it.

I thought that the clamp might have been a replica... it was too pristine and in the photos the guy made sure to avoid showing off some of the tell-tale look fors...

As for the bottom... I don't think I've ever seen a replica Folmer bottom before... :confused

I thought that the clamp might have been a replica... it was too pristine and in the photos the guy made sure to avoid showing off some of the tell-tale look fors...

As for the bottom... I don't think I've ever seen a replica Folmer bottom before... :confused

The Parks sabers have the Folmer bottoms. Check out Scott's photos in the first post, plus the ones on the Parks site:
wn1rvix.jpg

The guy might have been conned himself by that seller who was selling those shady mixed replica and real parts Graflexes a couple of months ago.

You dodged a bullet. That was a frakking Parks replica clamp, maybe a Roman's. The spacing on the clamp is a dead give away. The bottom might have been a replica too, based on how soft the stamping looked. If the clamp was a Parks, odds are the bottom was too.

I told that seller that it was a replica and described how you can tell, but he said it was a real Graflex.

I feel bad for whoever bought it.

this is why i doubt ill never buy a real graflex off ebay..:cry

this is why i doubt ill never buy a real graflex off ebay..:cry

From experience, once you've done enough researching and then building with the real thing, it gets a lot easier to recognize that stuff. There are still deals to be had, you just have to be careful...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back