Graflex poll and build. ANH, TFA, or custom?

Flanman

Awhile back I built a graflex for my best friend as a best man gift for my wedding. It was made mostly using replica parts. When it came time for my own I wanted to be as close to accurate as possible. I picked up a stripped out top tube, clamp and bottom tube for $140. I then picked up a two slaves for $55 for my internals and bunny ears. Two awesome members here on the rpf helped me acquire a vintage red button and vintage glass eye.

View attachment 472590

Whoever took this apart really jacked up the holder for the bunny ears and the tip where the flash pan connects.
View attachment 472592

View attachment 472591
There is also this weird hole drilled for a crew in my clamp. I guess where the tab on the inside is broke right next to it the owner just decided to drill and put a screw in there instead of getting a new clamp.

View attachment 472593

View attachment 472588
Also my red button does not seem to want screw in straight. It keeps screwing in at an angle making it flush on one side and exposed treads on the other. Not a big deal but annoying still.

View attachment 472587

View attachment 472589

I know I have the wrong red button and that my graflex isn't in the best shape, but every thing that I want to be original is original so that makes me happy. Now all I have left to do is get a conversion kit. My first love is the ANH version but the more I see TFA saber I love the grips. The only thing is I'm really afraid of drilling. Im not very good with tools. So the single drill point sounds easier. What I have also considered is a custom. ESB circuit board and clamp orientation with ANH grips and D ring. I think that may look kinda interesting. So what do you think folks? ANH, TFA or my hybrid custom idea?

It's funny you say "..or hybrid" since the TFA one is the ANH/ESB hybrid!

I was never a fan of the ANH, it was too...plain to me.

I prefer the ESB as it has more 'character'.

I woud go TFA since it has the glass eye and the beer tab. Looks really cool!

Edit - the images are also not loading for me!

My vote would be an ESB (with beer tab & rivet intact), or a TFA. Just my personal preference. From here on out for a while, even if definitely making an ESB, I don't know that I would be removing that beer tab and rivet.

ANH...it's the version I remember being in awe of back in 1977 when I was 12.

As fo the TFA version, I reserve judgment until after I see the film:)

Robert

Sorry my mac has not been behaving today.
IMG_3801.JPG

IMG_3803-1.JPG

IMG_3811.JPG

IMG_3813-1.JPG

IMG_3814.JPG

IMG_3815.JPG

Im vary partial to the ANH one. However I am already missing the beer tab. :unsure

my favorite graflex now has to be TFA. only because i love the ESB version the most but always liked 1 red button instead of 2. during the trailer i was excited to see the missing button, but then upset over them not adding it knowing the ESB saber had 2... i don't even know if that makes sense lol

TFA is my vote

my favorite graflex now has to be TFA. only because i love the ESB version the most but always liked 1 red button instead of 2. during the trailer i was excited to see the missing button, but then upset over them not adding it knowing the ESB saber had 2... i don't even know if that makes sense lol

TFA is my vote
I concur. My first saber was an ANH built on a real Graflex, but for some reason, The ESB always looked...beefier, I guess is the word, & meaner to me. I think it's the heavier looking Kobold clip, & the screws/rivers in the grips.

That being said, the TFA is perfect to me, since it combines the stockier butt, & sleeker top. It just looks right to my eyes.:unsure

Couldn't agree more!

To me, the second red button throws off the look.

And I like the beer tab, gives the hilt natural character.

The TFA is the PERFECT Graflex IMO!

Now.....

...someone sell me one of theirs!

Sorry RexKramer . . . if you don't wave your hand and use the jedi mindtrick properly . . . you'll have to go on a quest to find your own G R A FL E X . . . perhaps you can ask some Ferengi to lend you quite a lot of gold-pressed latinum, which you'll need nowadays on the black market?

Chaim

Call me a purist, but I like the idea of building them per the films. Love ANH as it was first but agree with many here the ESB has more character.
For me, the TFA can wait until I have the OT sabers and have seen the new film.

Best of luck on the build, I hope you do ANH.

There is another way of thinking: The Star Wars was a long long time ago (right ;) ) so then the events in TFA happened after ESB which happened after ANH. That would have made the TFA version the closest to how that ancient lightsaber would look today.
Anyway, the only difference I see between then ESB and TFA versions is the second button/glass eye.

BTW, one thing about the ESB version (just in case you have missed it): The "Ranch saber" prop often seen in exhibitions has textured metal tape over the clamp, but that textured tape has never been spotted in the actual movie. All Luke-saber props actually seen in ESB had flat metal tape, and I suspect that the TFA saber has too.
If you don't want any tape, you could get a replica clamp with "No Logo" from Roman's Empire - the original sidebars and clamp lever are interchangeable.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back