Dick Tracy Watch Build

Wow great work on the watch! You can use aluminum as well. maybe cold cast resin too. The Clock face, I would round it some more in the face area, if you look at the original its it much more rounder. Again great work!

This thread got me all nostalgic and I was watching some of the Dick Tracy trailers on Youtube. This shot of the watch MIGHT help with the lens distortion/speaker grill debate. I didn't recall seeing it on the reference image threads. It's incredibly fuzzy and low res, but it might help for the general shape.

G8bITkJ.png

This thread got me all nostalgic and I was watching some of the Dick Tracy trailers on Youtube. This shot of the watch MIGHT help with the lens distortion/speaker grill debate. I didn't recall seeing it on the reference image threads. It's incredibly fuzzy and low res, but it might help for the general shape.

View attachment 404147

Thanks for posting!

I just grabbed some stills from the Bluray DVD, so I figure I should post these too. Maybe I'll track down the reference image thread and post there, too.

00_DickTracyWatch.jpg01_DickTracyWatch.png02_DickTracyWatch.png03__DickTracyWatch.png04_DickTracyWatch.png05_DickTracyWatch.png

You can see the watch face has CMJ in the center. That is the monogram of the prop designer for the movie C.J. Maguire.

Now THAT is an interesting detail. I was wondering what that was. Thanks for sharing!

Maybe I should put my initials on the watch: NJM. Or, as he did, switch them up as NMJ.

How are your updates going? Can't wait to see it!

Well, before I create a run thread, there are a few details I have to work out to be certain that a run would go smoothly and cost effectively.

In preparation, I've ordered 50 copies of the custom watch crystal to be manufactured by G-S Supplies this morning—they will arrive within six weeks. While I wait for this final key component to arrive, I am fine tuning the electroplating process, finding the right dial material, and taking care of other details.

If the crystals look good, I will create a run thread in six weeks!

I will be sure to PM you and everyone else who posts on this thread a few days before I create the run thread—just in case anyone wishes to be prepared to jump on the list.

I'm pretty excited!

A metal cased, functional replica of the Tracy watch. Perfect. If you do a run, I AM IN!

Thanks eleet! I'm very excited to finally have a Dick Tracy watch—been a dream since I was a kid. I'll be sure to PM you when I start an official run thread.

You can see the watch face has CMJ in the center. That is the monogram of the prop designer for the movie C.J. Maguire.

Now THAT is an interesting detail. I was wondering what that was. Thanks for sharing!

Maybe I should put my initials on the watch: NJM. Or, as he did, switch them up as NMJ.
Looking carefully at the photo, I believe that the person who "switched them up" was lint - I think the watch dial actually reads "CJM". (dyslexic fingers?) ;)

Looking carefully at the photo, I believe that the person who "switched them up" was lint - I think the watch dial actually reads "CJM". (dyslexic fingers?) ;)

Well monograms have the persons last name in the center. so if your name was "Joseph Thomas Perriwinkle" your monogram on your shirt would read "JPT".

Here are some update photos from my second iteration of the watch case (prior to electroplating).

All components fit, including the functioning pusher. I also experimented with a new dial printing on photo paper to more closely match the look of brushed steel in the original prop.

NOTE: On the backside, the case back corners were rounded by an unrequested polishing process performed by Shapeways. I'm in the process of replacing this print in raw brass as originally requested. Finishing it by hand is necessary for better results.

FullSizeRender_1.jpgFullSizeRender.jpgFullSizeRender_2.jpgFullSizeRender_3.jpg

Last edited:
NOTE: On the backside, the case back corners were rounded by an unrequested polishing process performed by Shapeways. I'm in the process of replacing this print in raw brass as originally requested. Finishing it by hand is necessary for better results.

View attachment 407579

I like the rounded edges personally.
Are you sure you understood what Nick was referring to? See my edited version of his post here: notice that the case back does not fit tightly into the shell; the corners of the back cover were rounded by polishing, so there are now gaps at the corners instead of a tight fit -- especially the upper right corner in the photo.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back