1/2 Studio Scale Star Destroyer Devastator

stonky

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all,

I've been digitally modelling kit bashed parts of the original Devastator Star Destroyer over the past year or so with the intent of 3D printing the sub-assemblies at half-scale for application to the major hull parts. Here are some of my older, (incomplete) renders:

bridge_WIP_4.jpg

turrets_WIP.jpg

rear_detail3.jpg

A full size 4 foot long model is a bit big for me to manage at this point and I thought that a 2 foot "screen accurate" model would be an interesting project. I'm getting to the point where I'd like to start to run some of the parts, starting with the bridge. At half scale, the bridge comes out to about 4 inches wide - does anyone here have any experience with fine detail 3D printing for parts that would require that amount of detail? I've been looking at Shapeways and their "Frosted Ultra Detail" (FUD) option as a possibility - thoughts? I'm able to make the individual sub assemblies watertight and hollow so no problem there, but finer details, thickness tolerances, and printed layer stepping are my biggest concerns.

Wow!
Your work is just amazing!
I have lots of experience in 3D-printing.
Shapeways is not the way to go.
If you are interested, contact me via PM!

You can see that at half scale that some of the edges get really thin, I may have to thicken them up for printing (this is what one of the sub assemblies might look like):

bridge_subassembly.jpg

Obviously I don't want to thicken anything to the point where it starts to look clumsy. Maybe I'll just send it off as is (after I add the couple of parts that I forgot to add) and see what I get.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back