Egon Spengler's ANH Vader build UPDATED w/ armor questions and photos.

Egon Spengler

Master Member
Going to go ahead and make this my progress thread.Photos will be posted throughout as I progress.

Helmet: EFX Special Edition
Chest Armor/Shoulder Bells: ----------
Chest Box: ---------------
Shin Armor: Sith Planet
Belt Boxes: --------------
Belt Buckle: -------------
Body suit: ---------------
Gauntlets: ---------------
Codpiece: --------------
Cape: --------------------
Inner Robe: ------------
Boots: -------------------
Lightsaber: Master Replicas, with blade.

Last edited:
Re: Egon Spengler's ANH Vader build

My EFX Special Edition Vader.

DSC_0874.jpgDSC_0886.jpgDSC_0890 copy.jpgDSC_0893.jpg

Last edited:

Nice another one here that's making a 1:1 Vader ... by the way you forgot to mention the codpiece and the cape and robe set ... :)

Chaïm

Got my SithPlanet shins armor! One thing I noticed is the taller of the two shins have very slight, hardly noticable dimbles on the top middle section. Are they all that way? It's not too bad really and hardly noticeable unless you know where to look.

DSC_0927%20copy_zpsfhbm5hbp.jpg

Great to see this get started. Really hope your quest bears fruit and people will chime in regarding all the found parts you need.

The picture of the shins are a little Dark, and it seems you switched them. The shins I've seen offered differed regarding the three squares on either side of the shin.

Though, here's how it looks on a set of supposedly authentic shins.
Propstore - Shins - 01.jpg

I'm thinking of getting some Sith Planet Vader chest armor for my ANH :) What do you guys think?
Depends, what do you want your vader to look like. Sith Planet's chest armor isn't really that accurate. Neither is portumacs, though accuracy is in the eye of the beholder. I decided to make my vader based on what can be seen on screen and in some images.

It's cool to see a special edition helmet. It looks great, besides the c scar it's painted in the wrong position.

The Sith Planet armor looks nice at first glance but it really is warped and too wide in the back.

Portumac's armor is his own sculpt and has no features of the original Muir sculpt in terms of shape and accuracy. Its a high quality cast but that's it.

Good option includes BookFace here on the RPF for a decent armor that's very accurate in terms of available to the public parts.

Kent Stone or user name Darth Stone..Makes incredible helmets and armor(although I'm not a fan of his ANH lid)

Stone's armor is his own sculpt but he took the time to study the original sculpt to get his as accurate as possible. He first offered the armor before he changed it and offered a V2. In my opinion the V2 was a step in the wrong direction. He lessened the curve(Its almost straight as an arrow) on the bottom of the chest plate AND made the shoulder bells fit way to perfect to the chest plate(if going for the fixed looked, but you're ANH so that does no matter.).

Thanks for the info! It's a bit late for me to change my mind on it now though so we'll see how the Sith Planet armor is when it shows up. I've seen several photos of his armor and it looks good to me. Hoping for the best on this one.

armor2.jpg

This is the image of Sith Planets armor on his website. It appears to have remnants of the old Galaxy Trading armor where it is warped in the back making the opening to wide and when that happens it lessens the down ward slope on the chest plate.

Here is an image of Stone's V1 armor. (Not my image even though I have a set)
Armor1x.jpg

See how much steeper the slope is on the chest plate?

http://sithplanet.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/armor2.jpg

This is the image of Sith Planets armor on his website. It appears to have remnants of the old Galaxy Trading armor where it is warped in the back making the opening to wide and when that happens it lessens the down ward slope on the chest plate.

Here is an image of Stone's V1 armor. (Not my image even though I have a set)
http://www.garrisontitan.com/Images/Armor1x.jpg

See how much steeper the slope is on the chest plate?

Yeah, thanks, Vader 45. It was already in the mail when you posted this.

Well, after a bit of indecisiveness on my part I've decided to keep the Sith Planet armor. It's a good starter for me getting into Vader. I think I might need to cut down some of the back of the shoulders to get it to fit me properly though. They seem to sit too high and hit off of the back of my helmet when I just did a quick rough try on. They don't really curve down around my shoulders properly. I'm thinking of maybe just cutting some off completely from the back or possibly cutting it, fiberglass it to more of a curved angle, and reattaching it. You can see in the second image what I mean. I'm not really sure which way the shoulder bells are supposed to hang either. I took some photos of them arranged a bit differently. I really want to make this work out. Please chime in!

Yes, that is a bottle of Diet Pepsi from 1996 in the background of some of the photos. I never opened it. . LOL

Here are some pics. Click them for full size.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

You have the shoulder bells to far back in every fit try...they should meet at the very bottom of the chest plate in the front, not the back.

The curved bottom of the bell should be in the right hand side facing the front while the straight bottom in on the left hand side.

The shoulder bells are rather small it seems, they don't meet the top and bottom at the same time. Plus the arch of the shoulders goes up so high it hits off my helmet, which is probably why the shoulder bells seem so short. I'm thinking of cutting it and then reshaping it.

Here is what I'm thinking of doing. Cutting out the space between the lines and dropping the shoulders down some. Fiberglass it from the back, patch it up on the front, and add to the upper part to even it out with the lower section edge. The red lines next to the left and right show where i'll need to fill in on the sides. Right now, as is, the front angles out sharply and doesn't go as vertical as what I've seen in the film. After this it should. I need to do this mod to get it to sit under the neck of the helmet as it does at the beginning of ANH. The shoulder armor should better match the shoulder bells after this mod. I don't think it'll be perfect, but I'll like it more if it works out.

Attachments

• lip.jpg
    lip.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Every time I scan through the forum and read the title of this post, I always briefly think someone is making a Egon/Vader (Darth Spengler?) crossover thing. Not sure how that would look, but would be quite interesting.

Nice work so far BTW!

You would have to rotate the bells for them to line up with the bottom of the chest plate not do a drop. The tear drop design in ANH was tilted forward not straight up and down. The bells on my Stone fits the same way, they fall short in the back. Its due to the asymmetric hand sculpt that Muir only had one shot at sculpting. Although the wide warped back is not part of that...LOL

Every time I scan through the forum and read the title of this post, I always briefly think someone is making a Egon/Vader (Darth Spengler?) crossover thing. Not sure how that would look, but would be quite interesting.
Nice work so far BTW!
You're not the only one thinking that. And I think it would be cool too. A sort of else-verse kinda thing.

You would have to rotate the bells for them to line up with the bottom of the chest plate not do a drop. The tear drop design in ANH was tilted forward not straight up and down. The bells on my Stone fits the same way, they fall short in the back. Its due to the asymmetric hand sculpt that Muir only had one shot at sculpting. Although the wide warped back is not part of that...LOL
That has nothing to do with Brian Muir's sculpt. Like, at all. It's an issue created by warpage in the main armor on fan available armors. On the original sculpt the bells fit perfectly front to back.

You're not the only one thinking that. And I think it would be cool too. A sort of else-verse kinda thing.

That has nothing to do with Brian Muir's sculpt. Like, at all. It's an issue created by warpage in the main armor on fan available armors. On the original sculpt the bells fit perfectly front to back.

Actually no they do not fit perfect. Its very evident in ROTJ since the bells still under lap the chest plate even though they went for the fixed look. The bells on my stone set are nowhere near fitting perfect. The bells on a some sets did not even match the very edge of the plate as can be seen in ESB during the I am your father scene, they are a few millimeters higher. Even in that same scene we can see the right hand bell actually sit higher then the chest place thus seeing a bump when the cape was over it.

maxresdefault.jpg

spoilers-in-tv-and-movie-criticism-and-reviews.jpg

latest

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back