Scenes that STILL give you goosebumps

Victor3

Sr Member
We've had the Things You're Tired Of, and the Movies That Make You Cry.
As movie fans, we all have moments that were just perfect experiences; where the spectacle on screen and the theater experience completely overwhelm your senses, leaving you in complete awe in the theater. And some of these moments stay with you forever; and as you think back on them, you feel that rush of emotion again, the tingle of your hairs rising, an echo of the emotions that took over that day.

For me, the most powerful moment like this was in Jurassic Park. Spielberg so perfectly built up the tension prior to the first dino-reveal with the triumphant JP theme, the helicopter shots, the Jeep ride; with every cut, you just KNEW that you were getting to that moment. Sam Niell & Laura Dern perfectly captured the look that anyone would have at that moment.
And then the music shifts from fun to haunting, and there's the Brachiosaurs. The first truly photo-realistic & mostly scientifically accurate dinosaur in film.

Even typing this causes my eyes to well up a bit. The music of this scene has given me goosebumps and brought me to a place of joy every time I've heard it for 24 years, now.
In fact, it just played on my Pandora app, which triggered this thread.
As a dinosaur & movie geek kid, this moment was pure magic. It made me pursue a career in paleontology; a path which I did not ultimately follow, but upon which I met my wife and set all the pieces of my life in motion.

So how about yours? What were the scenes or moments in film that stay with you, and bring back the echo of cinematic bliss?

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it has to be Anne Hathaway in Le-Mis 33 minuets into the movie and sings I Dreamed a Dream, it makes me totally well up ( ninja onion peelers ) she sings it so beautifully with so much feeling and passion, live on camera not studio recorded,

the rest of the film is rubbish not worth watching

The opening crawl for Star Wars and the subsequent opening shots as the music starts to die down and pans from a star field to a planet, star destroyer etc...

The end scenes in 12 Monkeys where younger Cole is watching the older Cole

The whole "Loved by the Sun" sequence at the end of Legend.

The Normandy beach scene in Saving Private Ryan

For me it has to be Anne Hathaway in Le-Mis 33 minuets into the movie and sings I Dreamed a Dream, it makes me totally well up ( ninja onion peelers ) she sings it so beautifully with so much feeling and passion, live on camera not studio recorded,

the rest of the film is rubbish not worth watching

100% with you on the first bit, but I like all of that movie (except for Russell Crow. What a terrible casting decision...)

I'll have to think about my goosebumps moment...

The Blood test from John Carpenter's The Thing! No matter how many times I watch it, I jump every time.

With all the blood guts and gore I've seen in movies, nothing makes me as uncomfortable as seeing those guys slice their thumbs open :lol

That JP scene still does it for me. Also the carbon freeze scene in ESB, the music is perfect and gets to me every time. Best is the last few seconds of music in ANH at the end of the medal ceremony, just before the credits start, awesome.

I don't know about 'goosebumps', but a real visceral reaction to a movie....

Any scene in BTTF series when the tension gets turned up. Especially when they finally get the Delorean to work at the end of the movies.

I think this is what me and my creative partner call the "YOU CAN FLY?!?!" moment, based on the scene in Iron Giant where both Hogarth AND the Giant realize he has the ability to fly....

We try to put these in every script we write...

For me some of the BEST "YOU CAN FLY MOMENTS!!?!" -

- Rey grabbing the lightsaber from Kylo and the ANH score kicks in.

- Dash realizing he's fast enough to run on water in "The Incredibles"

- Laura walking towards the reavers in "Logan" as her two claws come out.

- The whole ending to "Whiplash"

- Superman breaking Zod's hand in Superman 2 (When Zod thinks he's taken Supes powers)

- Indiana Jones not taking **** any longer in Temple of Doom, and hurls a rock at a guy whipping a kid. Indy standing in that doorways with THAT LOOK.

Jaws is one of my favorite movies and three moments get me every time:

The opening when the female swimmer gets attacked and pulled under. I think it's partly due to the awful, gut-wrenching sounds she makes during the attack and then... everything's quiet and peaceful, as if nothing had happened.

Then there's the famous "You're gonna need a bigger boat." Man, the look on Brody's face.

And finally, Quint's Indianapolis speech still makes the hair on my neck stand up.

Edited: oops, I just realized we're suppose to be talking about uplifting moments. I'll try again later!

Last edited:
Anyone remember the made for TV Salem's Lot with David Soul? The part where the kid's buddy (after he was dead and buried) comes back, is floating in the air and scratches at his window! When I saw this as a kid it scared the hell out of me! For weeks I would swear there was someone outside my bedroom window in the middle of the night! Just typing and thinking about this still gives me the shivers!!!

Anyone remember the made for TV Salem's Lot with David Soul? The part where the kid's buddy (after he was dead and buried) comes back, is floating in the air and scratches at his window! When I saw this as a kid it scared the hell out of me! For weeks I would swear there was someone outside my bedroom window in the middle of the night! Just typing and thinking about this still gives me the shivers!!!

Yes! In fact, that scene was so effective it's the only one I still remember from Salem's Lot!

I got one but it's another downer:

Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark, as he sees the truck crash and blow up and thinks Marion is dead. Then it cuts to him in the bar, drinking his troubles away while being consoled by a double-agent monkey.

Again, like Robn1 mentioned above about Empire, the music is crucial.

-A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away... + fanfare. Every. Single. Time.

-Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2, when they start setting up the defenses on Hogwarts. The rest of the movie is mediocre at best.

-Doctor Who, the Day of the Doctor when all thirteen Doctors "sign in" to save Gallifrey. Chills there, and hair raising chills at "no sir, all thirteen". Then again at the Curator (Tom Baker) saying "you know I really think you might".

Last edited:
We've had the Things You're Tired Of, and the Movies That Make You Cry.
As movie fans, we all have moments that were just perfect experiences; where the spectacle on screen and the theater experience completely overwhelm your senses, leaving you in complete awe in the theater. And some of these moments stay with you forever; and as you think back on them, you feel that rush of emotion again, the tingle of your hairs rising, an echo of the emotions that took over that day.

For me, the most powerful moment like this was in Jurassic Park. Spielberg so perfectly built up the tension prior to the first dino-reveal with the triumphant JP theme, the helicopter shots, the Jeep ride; with every cut, you just KNEW that you were getting to that moment. Sam Niell & Laura Dern perfectly captured the look that anyone would have at that moment.
And then the music shifts from fun to haunting, and there's the Brachiosaurs. The first truly photo-realistic & mostly scientifically accurate dinosaur in film.

Even typing this causes my eyes to well up a bit. The music of this scene has given me goosebumps and brought me to a place of joy every time I've heard it for 24 years, now.
In fact, it just played on my Pandora app, which triggered this thread.
As a dinosaur & movie geek kid, this moment was pure magic. It made me pursue a career in paleontology; a path which I did not ultimately follow, but upon which I met my wife and set all the pieces of my life in motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJlmYh27MHg

So how about yours? What were the scenes or moments in film that stay with you, and bring back the echo of cinematic bliss?
Definitely yours. Every. Single. Time. It never fails.

First time we see Blue Thunder fly with the rising sun as the background.

First time the Rocketeer flies.

Captain Yelland orders the F-14s to draw the Zeros off and the ending credits sequence.

1st Cav sequence from Apocalypse Now.

Vasquez yells out "Let's Rock" and she and Drake open up.

The final credits of Captain America, The First Avenger.

The Klingon attack at the beginning of Star Trek The Motion Picture.

The opening From the Earth to the Moon.

Brice de Nice the scene on the beach with Bodhi and then the final wave.

-The final scene from "Ghost"
-Superman (Christopher Reeve) screaming at the top of his lungs after Lois dies in the earthquake/landslide,recalling his father's message from the past,then 'undoing' Lois' death by rotating earth 'back in time'.Never fails.
-Robin Williams in "What dreams may come",recognizing his children in Heaven for the first time
-Thor sacrificing himself to the destroyer,then getting his life and powers back
-Any shot of deep space will do the trick
-The end of the final confrontation between Steve Rogers and Bucky in Captain America:Winter Soldier
-The trailer for "The Soloist" with Robert Downey Jr. and Jamie Foxx
-Jack Lemon sitting next to his father on the old sofa near the lake where they used to fish in "Grumpier old men"
-Optimus Prime dying & Hot Rod opening the Matrix inside Unicron in the 1986 Transformer movie
-Neo's awakening during his final confrontation with Agent Smith in "The Matrix"
-The scene in the rain in "The Last Samurai",where Captain Algren stands his ground against the Samurai bully
-The scene from "A good year",where Max goes back to his late uncle's Chateau in France and during taking the pictures,flashbacks of his youth occur.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back