EP VII Millennium Falcon

The interior & exterior of the OT Falcon are irreconcilable. The exterior set was only 2/3rds big enough to hold the interior set overall. Even if you blow up the exterior to the interior's size (which they appear to have done for Ep#7) there are some things that still cannot be reconciled at any size.

I was kind of hoping they would come up with a new version of the Falcon where everything reconciles for the new trilogy. The changes required would be blasphemy around here, but the casual-to-medium SW fan would never notice. It's mostly just monkeying with how the hallways intersect the rooms inside.

Or if a fully matching interior/exterior proved too difficult, then maybe they could have split the difference and at least pushed things a few steps in that direction. Most of the public can remember the cockpit, the front main room, and maybe the smuggling compartments under the floors. The rest is just vague recollections of some curved hallways.

I really don't think it's that far off. It's visually believable, people building a full scale falcon will somehow make it fit. May be some modifications. But it will still look almost just like shown on film for the most part. You can nit and pick size of this or that. It's really not that irreconcilable with a few changes most people won't care about or notice anyway.

That doesn't make ANY sense... From the looks of the corridor rings and pads, the corridor in question jets out of the ship? The only thing I can think of is maybe it was done for different shooting angles?

The interior & exterior of the OT Falcon are irreconcilable. The exterior set was only 2/3rds big enough to hold the interior set overall. Even if you blow up the exterior to the interior's size (which they appear to have done for Ep#7) there are some things that still cannot be reconciled at any size.

I was kind of hoping they would come up with a new version of the Falcon where everything reconciles for the new trilogy. The changes required would be blasphemy around here, but the casual-to-medium SW fan would never notice. It's mostly just monkeying with how the hallways intersect the rooms inside.

Or if a fully matching interior/exterior proved too difficult, then maybe they could have split the difference and at least pushed things a few steps in that direction. Most of the public can remember the cockpit, the front main room, and maybe the smuggling compartments under the floors. The rest is just vague recollections of some curved hallways.

I'm with you. I was hoping for all this to be a bit more reconciled for VII.

The biggest thing that bugged me about that layout was that the gun turret ladders aren't centralized...

That doesn't make ANY sense... From the looks of the corridor rings and pads, the corridor in question jets out of the ship? The only thing I can think of is maybe it was done for different shooting angles?

Actually, working this up in our fullscale falcon interior, it kind of works ok... so long as the new bit of corridor doesn't get any longer. But there does seem to be plenty of space in that rear quarter, especially if they continue not to care about the interior fitting the exterior. Which, personally, doesn't bother me at all. Movie magic, and all that.

image3014.png

Heh, I'm glad they didn't try to fix anything. That would be a continuity headache I would not be up for. Between the traditional bigger-on-the-inside interior we're used to, the "canon" layout that appears in all the books, and the layout we worked up for the fullscale project... no more for me thanks, I'm driving...

More often than not, interior sets do not fit inside the exterior of the vehicles they are supposed to inhabit. On the NautilusSubmarine.com site, we have been discussing (ad nauseum) how the interior sets could possibly fit into the exterior set built for the Nautilus filming and the Hero miniature used for underwater shots. Obviously, the interiors are built for looks and convenient filming (where possible). Usually the designer will make the interiors fit the necessities of the action, and the "look" the director wants, and not so they will fit into the exterior. In the case of the Nautilus and many other filmic vehicles (there are exceptions) the design of the overall exterior is as important as the design of the interiors, and, unfortunately, never the twain shall meet.

I'm just remembering that before I started any of this, I thought everything taking place in ESB was in completely different compartments of the Falcon than the main hold scenes in ANH. I was kind of disappointed when I found out the layout was roughly the same, and there weren't any new rooms. Kind of cool that Ep VII seems to be going there.

I will also say that they top demand of commenters on my interior fly-through video on youtube (after "where's the bathroom!?!1!, yuk yuk!") is a desire to see more compartments. All the videos I've posted show only the rooms we've seen in the movies. So I think the production team has made a great choice to show us more. Even if it makes the ship of riddles even worse.

Usually the designer will make the interiors fit the necessities of the action, and the "look" the director wants, and not so they will fit into the exterior. In the case of the Nautilus and many other filmic vehicles (there are exceptions) the design of the overall exterior is as important as the design of the interiors, and, unfortunately, never the twain shall meet.

I totally agree, though I don't think it's that unfortunate. After all, we wouldn't get to debate about it. It's an ember that keeps the love of the franchise going. I sometimes wonder if there were no ship of riddles to attempt to solve, if the interior could fit perfectly without any issues right on the first try, then we wouldn't have such a long and lingering fandom.

The Falcon ( and I love the ship) never made any sense anyway.
There's no room for engines and as a "freighter" that cargo hold is mighty small!
I always thought they should have had the front mandible be the location point where it hooks up to really large separate cargo containers... imo

I think that was the idea. I can't remember where, but I think there's a Lucas quote that the mandibles are in fact for grabbing cargo (or were anyway, when the were designing her for film). I have a pet theory that the mandibles were designed after a pair of calipers like these.

calipersCorel1.png

Just for fun, I did use my model to actuate the mandibles to grab cargo, but the result was less than satisfying. Too many greebles in the way, and it's a massive structure that would only be able to grab relatively small loads of cargo.

But I'm happy with her as a cool looking nonsense ship.

I just figured that the mandibles would lock into a narrowed section of a large cargo container and maybe some of those greeblies could lock onto a container like the ones in the old Tie fighter gamee from lucas arts.

It would also then make more sense (at least in my mind) of the cockpit placement.

Cool ship either way

Tractor beams on the mandible tips is my pet theory. A galactic tug boat.

yeah that could do it. It could explain the bulk and complexity of the mandibles. Line up a long stack of cargo in front of her, and she pushes it from the rear. With an outrigger cockpit to see where you're going. Hmm...

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back