double-studio scale size Y-Wing fighter (1/12th)

what I love about what your doing , is that you cannot slavishly copy the original parts too closely because at this enlarged scale there wouldn't be enough detail , this allows some flexibility that will add to this project

Thank you, Vacformedhero! I agree, at twice the size and 8 times the volume this model would look somewhat underdetailed if the detail was identical.

Thank you, Vacformedhero! I agree, at twice the size and 8 times the volume this model would look somewhat underdetailed if the detail was identical.

That was the problem with the 1/6 scale TIE Fighter Sideshow had on display at Comic Con. Great job of scaling up the parts but with no added details it ended up looking like a 4x model of a Studio Scale model and not a 1/6 scale model of a full size vehicle. Keep up the good work on your project Andrew. I am looking forward to seeing you fuselage come together.

Dave

Wow!

Just came across this build thread, I can't believe I over-looked this.
Really Cool! -Nice work Andrew
This is the 3rd Double Studio Scale size Project I know about.
If you could use double sized Heat Sinks for the engines Let me know. I have highly accurate 1/12 scale 3D file made for 3D printing
A grew a pair for Stu, a few years back for his 1/12 Y-wing.
I originally made them back in 2008 for my 1/12 X-wing project.
This was before so much was made available from the publicly shared Y-Stuff
Of course with the (generously) Publicly Shared 1/24 Y-wing Project it should make things a bit easier helping those doing "double-sized versions with some of the proportions and the frame & support structures especially.

I admire anyone crazy enough to take on this subject. The Y-wing is so much more complicated. I would not want to take on doing it even in the computer, (unless it was a paying gig) so many Kit-parts to re-create.. is insane.
I love the extra details your'e putting in as you scale up the parts!

Render-1.jpgHeat_Sink_3.jpg!

Thank you DaveG, joberg and greeble_gremlin, for your kind words! :)

That was the problem with the 1/6 scale TIE Fighter Sideshow had on display at Comic Con. Great job of scaling up the parts but with no added details it ended up looking like a 4x model of a Studio Scale model and not a 1/6 scale model of a full size vehicle.

You described it much better than I could have, Dave. :thumbsup

I am looking forward to seeing you fuselage come together.

Still haven't gotten to the framework & fuselage because my workbench setup in the cellar isn't ready yet. It's taking longer than I thought. Hope to finish the workbench, set up the machines and get on the frame/body soon.

This is the 3rd Double Studio Scale size Project I know about.

Wow, I had no idea this was the third one, do you have any links to the other two?

If you could use double sized Heat Sinks for the engines Let me know. I have highly accurate 1/12 scale 3D file made for 3D printing
A grew a pair for Stu, a few years back for his 1/12 Y-wing.
I originally made them back in 2008 for my 1/12 X-wing project.

Thank you, Michael! That's a very nice offer, however I plan to make my own heat sinks without the 'circular anomaly' at the edge and make them symmetrical-bladed fans.

I admire anyone crazy enough to take on this subject. The Y-wing is so much more complicated. I would not want to take on doing it even in the computer, (unless it was a paying gig) so many Kit-parts to re-create.. is insane.

Yeah, crazy is right - at first I wasn't sure it could be done. The plan to maybe do it was in the back of my mind since first finding the plexiglas egg shapes back in 2005, but for many years wasn't sure if it was a feasible project. Until about two years ago when I began rummaging through parts and throwing everything that looked big enough into a box. After a while, it looked like there were enough parts to do it. Turns out some of the parts were either too large or too small and a lot of the time still goes into searching for the right-sized detail.

The complexity of the Y-Wing surprised me, I initially thought the shape was much more straightforward. Still brooding over some areas and pondering the best breakdown of the body and parts, and how the breakdown will result in the best possible model.

Ah, but you can! Dragon Models makes a 1/72 scale Saturn V kit. Perfect!

I was totally happy, when, a few years ago, Dragon announced the 1/72nd scale Saturn V. Then it became available and I saw the price - Doh! Two of those would have been a bit much.
Am now quite happy with my solution, the plexiglas tube is very sturdy (I can sit on it - not that I would, though) and will cover it with sheet styrene. Evergreen makes some nice clapboard sheets in just the right spacing. Some small Saturn V doodads can be added on top.

Thank you, joberg! Haven't ordered any yet, but will be doing the piping with brass rods & brass tubes. Rods for the thinner diameters and tubes for the larger ones. Also need to get a pipe-bending tool and gain a little experience with it. The piping should end up being very sturdy, I think.

Finished the Lunar Excursion Module descent stage with some added extra detailing:
_DSC1797 comparison.jpg

For bending brass tube, there's a trick that works very, very well: put soapy water in the tubes (block the ends with some kind of paste, or chewing gum) when full, put them in your freezer. After a day, they should be ready to bend in that machine of yours. After the bending is done, thaw/empty them and voilà!

Thanks for the tip, joberg! Haven't done this before and have heard of using sand and metal springs, but freezing soapy water is a new wrinkle. I think I'll be trying all three methods and see which one works best for me. :thumbsup

Another thing to consider is using copper tubing where possible. It will bend a lot easier than brass and for most places should be more than rigid enough. With either brass or copper, I recommend annealing the tubing first by heating it up with a torch and allowing to cool completely. You should anneal first even if using the frozen water trick.

Thank you, Dave! I read about annealing a while ago but had completely forgotten about it. Will certainly be testing that and probably getting better results for it. :)

Over the past year have gotten some interesting comments, and I think what is a little bewildering to a few modelers out there is why I started this way. Never had any doubt of being able to build the frame, hull or forward fuselage. I sat on the plexiglas egg shapes for a long time, thinking 'this could either become a large Y-Wing or could use them for engine bells someday".

What I wasn't sure of was whether there were enough good parts in the stash in the right size and scale to do the detailing on a large Y-Wing. That is why I started with the details first, wanted to find out if the project was doable.

Most studio scale builds of Y-Wings tend to start with the interior frame and hull first. Once the hull is complete (or nearly complete) modelers tend to start working on the detail parts, some still missing some donor kits or parts and gradually getting there as the parts come in.

So maybe it seems this build started backwards, but wanted to tackle the uncertain things first. If it had turned out that detailing was a problem, I would have aborted and done something else. Fortunately, enough good detail was there. :)

Update: the details surrounding the Tiger wheel/top model mount are done, and decided to ditch Gold 2's ship gun turrets for Gold leader's landing gear parts. Like those better.

_DSC1800 comparison.jpg _DSC1801 comparison.jpg _DSC1806 comparison.jpg _DSC1805 comparison.jpg

Last edited:
Is that an AT-AT neck I see there? Always love seeing the details you make. Now hurry up!

Thanks Fett_Ish! Yes, you're the first to recognize it. Will be tipping my hat to several Star Wars vehicles hidden in the detailing, so there's more of that to come in the future.

Looking very good. Love that cockpit, and seeing it, did you think about a pilot yet?

Thank you, Joberg! Will try my hand at modeling my own rebel pilot, of great help to do that is a black series Luke Skywalker in rebel pilot outfit. Here are two pictures from two weeks ago with the figure standing beside the forward fuselage, when the study model was first unveiled at the Intermodellbau 2017 in Dortmund, Germany. The Intermodellbau is the World's largest model fair and the Y-Wing print-out received a lot of attention. I think the figure really helped to give visitor's an idea of the scale.

Glues Brothers stand side Intermodellbau 2017.jpg Glues Brothers stand Intermodellbau 2017 close-up.jpg

It's almost big enough that you could fit inside.

I wonder if there will be printers someday that can print these at 1 to 1 scale, wouldn't that be neat? But where I would put it? I think the aircraft industries have big ones, parts of large airliners are printed these days.
Oh well, we can always dream. :)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back