Help identifying Star Trek TNG medkit mystery door hinge

Ok here is a photo of were the pin is. If you follow the photo addy you can find a few more photos of this and many other trek and stuff photos.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3871/15121375411_7cf5ccd88c.jpgP8100032 by propologist, on Flickr

Wow. This is absolutely perfect! Thanks again, Mike! Never before seen materials (to my knowledge, anyway) here, folks. :) Very exciting.

Your Flickr has a great view of the notched holes in the door. Looks like the door was held in place using a ball latch?

ball-latch.PNG

And the rest of your Flickr is a treasure trove. So much stuff here that I would love to build for myself, especially the Vulcan prop from "Gambit." I have never seen such excellent and detailed photos of that item.

Wow. This is absolutely perfect! Thanks again, Mike! Never before seen materials (to my knowledge, anyway) here, folks. :) Very exciting.

Your Flickr has a great view of the notched holes in the door. Looks like the door was held in place using a ball latch?

View attachment 371972

And the rest of your Flickr is a treasure trove. So much stuff here that I would love to build for myself, especially the Vulcan prop from "Gambit." I have never seen such excellent and detailed photos of that item.

That would be corrct. on both sides

That would be corrct. on both sides

Awesome. I think I'll try to figure out how to CNC-mill the holes and track for the ball to slide in. I'll try to work out specs that make sense and build those into my blueprints, though I suspect some trial-and-error prototyping will be required. Thankfully, I have more than 5 days to make one since it's just for myself. :)

You have no idea how excited the fourteen year old in me is to make this. For whatever odd reason, this was the one object when I was watching TNG growing up that I spent most of my time dreaming of having (along with the hypo and Mark VII that go in it).

This is an exciting project! I am working on two MKVII builds, and I think one of the next things I'd like to try and tackle is the medkit. Always wanted to replicate the scene in the 25th anniversary special where Okuda demos the new prop. The blueprints would be very helpful in making that dream a reality.

This is an exciting project! I am working on two MKVII builds, and I think one of the next things I'd like to try and tackle is the medkit. Always wanted to replicate the scene in the 25th anniversary special where Okuda demos the new prop. The blueprints would be very helpful in making that dream a reality.

This project is still very much on my to-do list, and I have made some progress on it, but amidst a number of others (all chronicled in this thread). My goal is to, along with Eric Ardros (also a member here), to build a set of blueprints for anyone willing to invest the time and effort of scratch building a medkit in styrene, which I'll share here. I also now own a vacuum form of the original buck that was used to make the ones for the show, which should help us be more accurate (though it will never be possible to be perfectly accurate without vacuum forming).

Oooh. What is the 25th anniversary special you mentioned? I would love to dig that clip up!

Hey guys, the 25th Anniversary Special aired in September of 1991. I remember being a young fan and being crazy excited about the event. It included a special program detailing the history of the series, hosted by Nimoy and Shatner, and a marathon of favorite episodes afterward.

Here's a YouTube link to the program, in particular the moment when Michael Okuda demos the new prop. It's a VERY short clip, and focuses more on the new MkVII tricorder than the med kit, but he does pick it up and "model" it. Frustratingly, he appears just about to go into further detail on the medical kit when they cut away!

http://youtu.be/lLtyi5r7vp0?t=1h11m30s

I used to rewind and play this clip on VHS like crazy trying to capture details of the Tric. Also interesting that it's holding a MKVII science and not a medical tricorder.

Hey guys, the 25th Anniversary Special aired in September of 1991. I remember being a young fan and being crazy excited about the event. It included a special program detailing the history of the series, hosted by Nimoy and Shatner, and a marathon of favorite episodes afterward.

Here's a YouTube link to the program, in particular the moment when Michael Okuda demos the new prop. It's a VERY short clip, and focuses more on the new MkVII tricorder than the med kit, but he does pick it up and "model" it. Frustratingly, he appears just about to go into further detail on the medical kit when they cut away!

http://youtu.be/lLtyi5r7vp0?t=1h11m30s

I used to rewind and play this clip on VHS like crazy trying to capture details of the Tric. Also interesting that it's holding a MKVII science and not a medical tricorder.

Thanks for sharing. This is fantastic! I don't think I ever saw this in the 90s.

Mike Okuda is always all over the cool stuff. :)

If you want a vacuuformed one you could always fill that thing up with Ultracal and then pull vacuuforms off it forever. You would probably destroy your original in the process though.

I'm still looking forward to the day you guys release those plans, btw. Hint hint. ;)

If you want a vacuuformed one you could always fill that thing up with Ultracal and then pull vacuuforms off it forever. You would probably destroy your original in the process though.

I'm still looking forward to the day you guys release those plans, btw. Hint hint. ;)

That would probably be considered recasting and thus not kosher. I figure making blueprints for styrene scratch building is better anyway. It will make it possible to make an ultimately more sturdy medkit, I think.

sorry it is taking so long on the plans, btw. I have several other scratch builds in progress that I wanted to use as practice first before tackling my "Grail prop," the medkit. However, it'll happen eventually!

I was not suggesting you sell them. I think that making a new one for your personal use would be acceptable. Recasting is such a touchy subject, though.

I was not suggesting you sell them. I think that making a new one for your personal use would be acceptable. Recasting is such a touchy subject, though.

I know. Believe it or not, people would consider that recasting too, from what I understand. =\

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back