Warner Bros To Reboot Cannonball Run

It's high concept that writes itself.

They'll try to get Chris Pratt, of course, but he'll wisely turn it down so they'll get Kevin Hart, or some other likeable comedian-type.
Pair him with Seth Rogan or Jonah Hill as the Dom DeLuise character.
They'll try to cast Ken Jeong to play a Japanese drift racer, even though he's Korean. Or they might try to get Jet Li.
They'll get Daniel Craig to drive an Aston Martin as the British guy. If not him, they'll get Jason Statham who will sign on if they let him have a fight scene with Jet Li.

Help me write this, folks.

We have to cast the hot chicks with big boobs driving a Lamborghini - I'm thinking Katy Perry and Emily Ratajowski. And what about the rednecks? Clearly, we need Larry the Cable Guy and Mama June.

Last edited:
Don't forget the cameos:

Vin Diesel and/or Dwayne Johnson.
Tom Cruise as himself on a sportbike.
Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis as you-know-who ...

Oh crud. This is turning into something I might actually want to watch.

Last edited:
I defy them to recast Dr. Nikolas van Helsing. A doctor that well qualified only comes along once in a lifetime.

Dr-Nikolas-van-Helsing.jpg

At first I thought you have got to be kidding, I'll read the thread just for morbid curiosity and to suffer the pain.

After reading the ideas, I have come to the conclusion that The RPF can actually take a no need reboot and turn it into a good movie.

People here really can turn garbage into gold.

At first I thought you have got to be kidding, I'll read the thread just for morbid curiosity and to suffer the pain.

After reading the ideas, I have come to the conclusion that The RPF can actually take a no need reboot and turn it into a good movie.

People here really can turn garbage into gold.

It's just too bad none of the ideas posted here, which I have to admit there were a lot of good ones, will never see the light of day in Hollywood.

Alexandra D'Addario. I'd see a CANNONBALL RERUN in a dirty noisy $1 cinema for her.

Oh, that was typo. That worked. Cannonball Rerun. Yeah. The producers should mine this thread for ideas.

Jack Elam -> Michael Richards green light

Geena Davis, Susan Sarandon: hell yeah.

How about Colin Firth as one of the Kingsman doing the Jimmy Bond cameo thing? Film it in NC, he seems to like this area.

The Cannonball is/was a real race, too. Read up. While I didn't know this back when I saw the first one for the first time, I started reading Car & Driver and learned about it pretty quick. The problem they face -- and probably don't realize -- is that for a casual, cameo-laden farce like the original, it'd have to be a period piece. The last time it was run, it was such a tightly-timed, highly-budgeted, seriously-tuned thing that a single red light or highway slowdown would (and did) scratch it and force a restart. It was also a solo car challenging the record. It's been run enough times over the years that all the fat (and fun) has been trimmed out of it. A modern Cannonball Run would be a serious suspense thriller -- Tom Clancy writes Knight Rider.

--Jonah

If they decide to reuse the Cannonball Run theme (and they SHOULD), it had better be the original Chuck Mangione version, not some reimagined version.

Seriously, that theme was PERFECT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fast & Furious meets Ocean's Eleven? That's already happened. Watch any of the last four F&F movies.

It's like saying "We are envisioning this project as 'James Bond meets Jason Bourne" . . . um, dude, go watch any recent Bond movie.

Prediction: This is Cannonball reboot is gonna be a ripoff of modern F&F, but with a whiter cast, and less/no international Bond super-villain element.

Last edited:
Between this and the comedy Knight Rider, I'm losing a lot of what niggling shreds of faith I had left in Hollywood's capabilities, beyond a few actual creative types that manage to get good films made amidst this schlock. *sigh*

--Jonah

If they decide to reuse the Cannonball Run theme (and they SHOULD), it had better be the original Chuck Mangione version, not some reimagined version.

Seriously, that theme was PERFECT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWqvGzDIA84

I really hope that you're kidding because that theme, as recorded, is really dated sounding, there's no way that Warner would reuse the original theme in its original form. Unless it's some sort of period piece set back in the '70s or '80s this theme wouldn't resonate with most audiences now a days and I guaranteed that they'd end up redoing after the first test screening.

The Mangione theme does not sound dated, but it would be lost on the classless and musically illiterate audiences of today. No doubt, the theme will be some god awful pop/rap POS or something of similar ilk. Don't expect much.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back