IMG_2408.JPG
IMG_2410.JPG
IMG_2410.JPG
IMG_2410.JPG
IMG_2414.JPG
IMG_2421.JPG
IMG_2424.JPG
Hi all.
Just joined forum hoping to get a bit more of an insight into the MPP's used by Darth Vader. Sorry if i have posted this in the wrong section, it is my first post, so please redirect me if i am in the wrong section. I purchase some MPP 5x4 technical cameras at a Government auction here in Australia 25 years ago and included in the bundle were the associated flash guns. I intend to sell the flash guns but am unsure what is the best method, ebay or on a site like this one. Also i would like to know how the subtle differences between the two units affect their retail value. It appears one is a slightly different model as it sports a white button and different shaped (flat) section inside the top where the bulb is inserted. I will include some images. Please advise if i have violated any of the administrative rules as they there was no shortage of them. Sorry, one image posted multiple times and i cant work out how to delete it.

Wow Nickbell, quite the find. The fact that they are the single step shroud variety will add value to these flashes. You shouldn’t have any trouble selling these.

View attachment 959720 View attachment 959721 View attachment 959721 View attachment 959721 View attachment 959722 View attachment 959723 View attachment 959724 Hi all.
Just joined forum hoping to get a bit more of an insight into the MPP's used by Darth Vader. Sorry if i have posted this in the wrong section, it is my first post, so please redirect me if i am in the wrong section. I purchase some MPP 5x4 technical cameras at a Government auction here in Australia 25 years ago and included in the bundle were the associated flash guns. I intend to sell the flash guns but am unsure what is the best method, ebay or on a site like this one. Also i would like to know how the subtle differences between the two units affect their retail value. It appears one is a slightly different model as it sports a white button and different shaped (flat) section inside the top where the bulb is inserted. I will include some images. Please advise if i have violated any of the administrative rules as they there was no shortage of them. Sorry, one image posted multiple times and i cant work out how to delete it.

Nick beautiful collection, can you do this club a huge favor?! Place a magnet on each shroud?

See if the magnet sticks to any of them?

We hav been trying to see if any other MPPs were made with steel shrouds. Everyone on this site has a mpp with a aluminum shroud, but the one used on screen has a steel one

I personally believe MPP started off with using steel shrouds then moved into aluminum. Could of had something to do with the shortage of aluminum because of the war? Idk..

But if one of those bad boys you have there is steel this will prove the theory that the steel shroud in Vader’s lightsaber wasn’t made from scratch

Just put magnet on all 3 shrouds. All aluminium. 3rd shroud on reflector 3 step and aluminium as well.a bit of a mystery and intrige about the steel shroud.

Seriously thank you for taking the time and doing that for us. I greatly appreciate it, the search continues ;)

Hi all.

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the forum! So... how many PMs did you receive after you posted? lol

Ok... where to begin....

Regardless of the variant, both of your flash guns have fairly decent market value.

The one with the flat top and the clear button is the least accurate in terms of what most people would be looking for in a MPP as it's not suitable for an accurate Darth Vader lightsaber build. However, its still has value the flashtube itself could still be used to make a Boba Fett ESB blaster. Not to mention that it also appears to have a single-step shroud, which is rare and a valuable commodity in itself. as the clamp would be as well. Having owned this variant of MPP myself once, I can assume that the end cap is the incorrect non-ringed variant, but again, the main interests in this piece would come from the shroud and the flash body.

As for your other MPP, it would make a beautiful Vader lightsaber. Unfortunately without seeing the B-port and the end cap, I can't say how many marks it hits; but again, the fact that it has the single-step shroud makes it very desirable as is.

The sidebars for both flashes appear to be the rectangular/oval bars which means that they would be most accurate for use in a Vader ANH build for the shape, if not in colour.

Both are beautiful pieces though and should fetch you a pretty penny if you do decide to sell them so congrats!

As I don't collect sabers, but I'm interested in OT Imperials, a MPP for a Vader lightsaber might be the only piece I'd like to get some day. I definitely was too late, so didn't drop any PM. :)

So a question as to the orientation of the clamp box on the ANH saber. The lightsaber bible ( with supporting screenshots) states that the clamp box sits at the 6 o'clock position (matching the later ESB saber) while the photo from Chronicles shows it at the 5 o'clock position. So I guess Im wondering why many people seem to go for the chronicles look over the screenlook.

Does anyone have a good blue print for the top portion of the MPP flash without the shroud and other attachments? Looking for something that includes hole sizes (large B) size of each hole.

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys! I believe I found all the places in this thread where the ANH V2 MPP was discussed. I have a few observations/questions regarding that particular prop:

From what I read in the earlier posts here and from what I have seen in the two images we have of it are:

1) Vintage MPP with one-step shroud and intact clamp lever
2) Small B port hole
3) Black trapezoidal clamp bars with the clamp seated down touching the grips
3) Exactra PCB with red LEDs inserted in the parallel clamp rails

Questions:

1) Are there seven grips present on this prop?
2) Are the grips angled at around 30 degrees (seen on the ANH hero silver side bars) or are they straight cut like on the ESB MPP?

ANH MPP - Darth Vader Lightsaber V2 (1).jpg

ANH MPP - Darth Vader Lightsaber V2 (2).jpg

I think there is still some debate on bar shape- some see straight ends. Regarding grips, I think the consensus is seven with angled cuts on ends. However, I don't recall the angle- experts: is it 30 or 45 degrees?

Yea, I have always seen the same sidebars as the one's our new Australian friend posted. In the close-up shot, to me, I can see the edges of the clamp and then I can also see a thicker edge of the bar, both making a triangular shape together.

That being said, I also swore I saw a "tooth" on the V2 lever so photos could always have artifacts from light or scratches

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back