Tarantino’s Star Trek

Re: Tarantino Trek

To all the people naysaying this without knowing one bit of what QT's idea is, I'm wondering, do you truly believe his idea would be to do Reservoir Dogs in space or some such nonsense? Its as if all you know of Tarantino are things you've seen in memes or something.

I've been waiting for someone to do a darker take on ST...... oh wait.

- - - Updated - - -

To all the people naysaying this without knowing one bit of what QT's idea is, I'm wondering, do you truly believe his idea would be to do Reservoir Dogs in space or some such nonsense? Its as if all you know of Tarantino are things you've seen in memes or something.

Read the collider article referenced above and you at least get an idea of where he wants to draw his inspiration from.

Almost the very first thing he says in the interview Vivek posted is that he would be inclined to do a Trek movie over Wars, but he does like Star Wars.

That interview is from a Nerdist podcast he did either during the time Django Unchained was released or Hateful 8. I forget which, but he definitely changed his mind about Star Wars after Disney bought LFL. I remember there was a story in EW right after the merger where they asked several prominent directors about directing a SW film and he made it quite clear he wasn't interested. Then, when Disney screwed him over by impacting his ability to screen Hateful 8 in 70mm at certain theaters, he really wasnt too happy.

http://www.ew.com/article/2012/11/0...-so-care-less-about-the-new-star-wars-movies/

That interview is from a Nerdist podcast he did either during the time Django Unchained was released or Hateful 8. I forget which, but he definitely changed his mind about Star Wars after Disney bought LFL. I remember there was a story in EW right after the merger where they asked several prominent directors about directing a SW film and he made it quite clear he wasn't interested. Then, when Disney screwed him over by impacting his ability to screen Hateful 8 in 70mm at certain theaters, he really wasnt too happy.

http://www.ew.com/article/2012/11/0...-so-care-less-about-the-new-star-wars-movies/

He's saying he wouldn't get involved because he doesn't care for Disney's new trilogy. Which is very different from "he hates Star Wars and wouldn't do it."

It's pretty easy to find a lot of Star Wars fans that hate Lucas' prequel trilogy. By the same token he's allowed to not like Disney's take on it.

QT references City On The Edge and Yesterday’s Enterprise as possible inspiration. Is it time to change the name of the franchise to Time Trek?

PLEASE no more time travel stories!

Quentin may just be saying what he thinks fans want to hear.

Just give me a private meeting with him, some alcohol to loosen him up, and I'll measure his STIQ.

I don't see why QT belongs doing ST.

He is a fan? So what?
Woody Allen might be a fan of Fast & Furious.

QT references City On The Edge and Yesterday’s Enterprise as possible inspiration. Is it time to change the name of the franchise to Time Trek?

PLEASE no more time travel stories!

I was saying this as far back as Voyager and Enterprise.

Also, I will say one thing-- if QT says it's going to be a retro throwback, you can count on him getting the feel right. All his movies are retro to some extent-- historical inaccuracies aside, if he tells you he;s making a 70s chop socky martial arts film, he delivers. If he says he's doing a spaghetti western he delivers.

When Paramount tells us Discovery is going to be a throw back prequel that invokes TOS, we all called BS from the start.

But if you want a Trek Story that looks, feels, and has the vibe of a 60s film? QT would nail that.

ALSO ALSO, I agree with him about Yesterday's Enterprise. That;s one of my favorites and I wish that story could have been saved for The first TNG film. If Generations was the same basic story as Yesterday's Enterprise, but swapping the E-C for the E-A... can you imagine?

Last edited:

Also, I will say one thing-- if QT says it's going to be a retro throwback, you can count on him getting the feel right. All his movies are retro to some extent-- historical inaccuracies aside, if he tells you he;s making a 70s chop socky martial arts film, he delivers. If he says he's doing a spaghetti western he delivers.

Disagree. QT gives you a movie that looks like an exaggerated version of the old genre he is imitating. It probably won't feel much like it. It will feel like a QT movie.

This does not sound like a match made in heaven.

I tend to agree but it's at least an interesting combination of filmmaker and material. What if the one guy we would all expect to thoroughly muck-up Star Trek turns out to be the one who respects Trek's DNA the most? And unlike the creators of Discovery, he seems to have enough clout to deflect executive/management interference. That alone could result in a Trek project that's a little more pure at heart.

I'm not a fan of JJ's Trek and have no interest in Discovery. And while not a big Tarantino fan, I think his passion for his work is genuine so I'd be curious to see what he comes up with, assuming that he really is a fan. The eternal optimist (fool?) in me keeps hoping somebody will come along and get Star Trek right again.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back