Functional (walking) Star Wars GONK Droid

XRobots

I've recently completed the mechanical and electronic design for a life sized walking GONK Droid. Yes it really walks around on two legs:

For now I've left it as a cut-away so people can see there isn't a child inside:

GNK35.jpg

GNK34.jpg

Full build YouTube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpwJoq86vov-ZPpbuBxG6lsy0BS6xIBqC

Check out the last video for final testing (about 6:30 onward): https://youtu.be/IpdaJWIqI5c?t=392

If you want to make one, I published all the CAD and code for 3D printing and Arduino: https://github.com/XRobots/GNK-Power-Droid

More in this video also:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey James, just wanted to say I have been following your videos for the last two years and I'm a big fan of your work, so interesting. Not much else to say except keep up the good work

You're very good at what you do, but I'm not a fan.

Your build's seem to take the mystery out of the love I have for Replica Movie Props.

Your love seems to be robotics and while that's cool....I don't like it.

I suppose I shouldn't make a comment that isn't supportive, but this is the RPF right?;)

Hey James, just wanted to say I have been following your videos for the last two years and I'm a big fan of your work, so interesting. Not much else to say except keep up the good work

Thanks, I have more great projects coming!

Your build's seem to take the mystery out of the love I have for Replica Movie Props.

I suppose I shouldn't make a comment that isn't supportive, but this is the RPF right?;)

Is that because it walks or because it looks 'unfinished'?

I am super confused by this statement. The whole purpose of this board is to figure out how things are made or figure out ways to make things work better than on screen. You are on a board that demystifies props!

Using robotics is another channel for us a prop builders to explore as an option for when we build our next project. Maybe there is a mechanism in these videos that people could incorporate into a functioning R2 or build a GONK that can walk around instead of being stationary... I happen to think it is a cool idea, a bit beyond some of my abilities, but a cool idea.

I am super confused by this statement. The whole purpose of this board is to figure out how things are made or figure out ways to make things work better than on screen. You are on a board that demystifies props!

Using robotics is another channel for us a prop builders to explore as an option for when we build our next project. Maybe there is a mechanism in these videos that people could incorporate into a functioning R2 or build a GONK that can walk around instead of being stationary... I happen to think it is a cool idea, a bit beyond some of my abilities, but a cool idea.

I think this is a really good debate - The Ultimate R2 or BB-8 prop is one that can move around, so why not GONK Droids?. I published everything you need to build it so I'm hoping people can adapt and improve it to make functioning props.

BEAUTIFUL! No idea what the comment about taking the mystery out of replica props means. This is really fascinating stuff.

James, I have followed you on Youtube for some time now and your channel is one I check regularly. Thank you and keep up the good work.

Phenomenally fun!
Super impressed and wish I knew how to do this kind of thing. I'll have to live vicariously through your vids and then go drive my little mouse droid around the house!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back