Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

Man-- I know this restaurant makes me sick, but I'm going to keep eating at it and posting yelp reviews about how much I hate it cause it used to be good. ;)

better than incessantly posting review how you're going back after you can tolerate solid foods again:facepalm

This is what i was trying to get away from a page or so ago. This should be about what happens in 9, not complaining about 8.

I did think it odd people think it needs to be over 2.5 hours to wrap things up. What's left to wrap up?

Hard to see how things go from the end of 8, to ostensibly the final battle versus the first order in even a 4 hour movie unless you skip a lot of important stuff. The resistance has to, you know, grow to a lot bigger than the group that remains that fits in the falcon. That takes a good while. You have to acquire the equipment (i.e. tons of ships) to actually mount a fight and then actually fight capably and show you can win. They seemingly have to skip all that and jump to a last battle.

But what's at stake? The FO lost their leader. The next two in line are morons. That's tough to recover from frankly Point is, while an enemy, not one you feel hopelessly outmatched by. In the OT, not only were the two biggest bads still around, they were both percieved as nearly invincible and on top of that the empire controlled everything. At this point, the big bad is dead, the next two are iditiots and the FO doesn't control much of anything. The resistance simply has to get the existing republic worlds to send ships to ward them off or destroy them. Might be a hard argument, but it pales in comparison (massively) to what was at stake in 3 and 6.

Things change a bit if that's now how they end.

Flip the PT and OT. Imagine the PT being the first movies and ending with the goods guys getting their butts handed to them and losing everything - only to hot have another movie for 16 years.

What if the end of 9 sees the FO winning and you have to wait for 10-12 to resolve that? I don't believe they'll do that as the public isn't likely to go for it. Seems more compelling though than the good guys winning and ben dying, etc. None of that's a surprise. They said originally we'd see the making of a villain. We haven't seen the making of anything yet, really. We were presented with a bad guy and he hasn't change since the first scene of TFA. If anything, he's regressed. 9 being him becoming a leader would very much be the making aspect.

Can the powers that be afford to end it on that note?

the point is that the movies are on a rapid descent into cacapoopoo.

Episode 7 was entertaining if you didn't think about it. Give it a B- or a C.

Think about it, give it D.

Episode 8, from the opening crawl about brave rebels fleeing was an F-
I would give it a G if that was a possible grade.

Yeah,I know people loved it.

So now, Episode 9. How do they wrap it up? No more epic love, no more good vs evil, now Star Wars is now about incompetence and arms merchants are getting rich. Does the galaxy finally respond to Leia's distress call? Does it matter? They already took out Star Wars at the knees.

Actually, Disney already took out basic story-telling/film-making at the knees. I am pretty sure the sound and special effects will be polished, but might as well have Danny McBride as the main, where he finishes every line with double middle fingers, saying, "Biotchezzz."

I think Rey should kill Kylo on the bridge of a Star Destroyer in front of the FO top brass. After she kills him she inadvertently finds herself the leader of the FO. What would she do? Demand they all surrender? Merge them with the Resistance which would now have nothing to resist? (What was the resistance resisting in the first place?) Would she make them all stand trial? It would be interesting to see what someone like that would do with all of that sudden power and authority. At least it would be different but I'm feeling they're really going to play it safe with Ep. 9.

Why are the Resistance even paranoid about the FO to begin with? Starkiller Base is gone... what leverage does the FO have now?

Star Wars has become 2 incompetent armies killing each other. Hux is an idiot. Was Hux ever competent?...

Thank you for pointing this out. Hux was never a bad ass leader, even in TFA he was more like a snotty upperclassman at military school. He had some power because of seniority but he doesn't project the vibe of a leader, and he's too young to be believable as a general. Poe played him for a fool with the phone call bit which is just how I saw him anyway.

This is what i was trying to get away from a page or so ago. This should be about what happens in 9, not complaining about 8.

I did think it odd people think it needs to be over 2.5 hours to wrap things up. What's left to wrap up?

Hard to see how things go from the end of 8
I agree shouldn't be long at all Disney can get the lad with the broom at the end of 8 to sweep it all under the mat :)

I`m just looking to Ep Nein to be over and done with so we can all move on from the terrible era of McDisney cherry picking all the bests bits from the OT and filling in the rest with nonsense. I have high hopes the new guys will give something that will restore order to the galaxy.

Why are the Resistance even paranoid about the FO to begin with? Starkiller Base is gone... what leverage does the FO have now?

That's another issue quite frankly.

In short - you had tor read external novels (or be told about them). The short version is that after the war, the new republic went weenie and didn't want a strong (or apparently any) military. People found out the remnants of the empire reformed (or whatever) and were amassing strength in the outer rim. Leia (and others) knew this to be problematic and wanted the NR to do something. They played ostriches and stuck their heads in the sand and blew it off. Leia quit the NR and formed a (the) resistance movement to try and keep the FO in check.

NONE of that made the movies at all.

I`m just assuming, probably incorrectly, that even a greed driven organisation such as Disney would realise at some point that the golden goose can be strangled so much before it just straight out up and dies.

It’s a reasonable assumption and I hope you’re right but if the goose dies they’ll replace it with a duck and tell us it’s still a goose! Then the shills here can paint the eggs gold!

you are ignoring the people who *love* these terrible films. People who thought Leia flying in space was brilliant, who don't see a flaw in bombers blowing each other up, who saw the movie more than once.

These people want Star Wars to be epic again (EDIT: no matter the quality)!

They will encourage more of this style of film making...no matter how BAD. That's why I am pretty sure episode IX will be like watching abscess surgeries.

We know negative reviews and post were deleted, and critics were paid for positive reviews. The did is for last jedi, when I heard Rotten Tomatoes was doing this for Black Panther as well, I guess this will be the new normal.

Also, nothing is to stop Disney from putting out a good film, then two or three bad ones.

Like apple fanboys who spam competitors forums when the latest apple product is about to be released, there are bunches of people ready to defend anything Star Wars.

We can only hope Disney's greed is beyond their desire to test our tolerance of bad story-telling.

Last edited:
I would like to see a reaction at the next Celebration but you can rest assured the place will still be rammed full of cosplayers wielding lightsabers, blowing their load over the latest Disney SW tease. ( Akbar: a Star Wars story but he’s being played by a Rodian!)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back