The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

I agree, this is the TFA behind the scenes prop. All the details match and on a lot of the older sabers the pommel could rotate so it is possible it has just been rotated. Then again, I still think the TFA/TLJ sabers could be the same prop. Perhaps the pommel was turned around and the other differences are in lighting. Perhaps there were two made... The Hero and an FX stunt. Can't judge anything by the cards, they are easily replaced if one is lost.

I’m not seeing a plate with screws is anyone else... damn this beat up old iPhone screen.. damn you to hell!! I can’t wait to get the hell out of here and see this on a computer screen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, this is the TFA behind the scenes prop. All the details match and on a lot of the older sabers the pommel could rotate so it is possible it has just been rotated. Then again, I still think the TFA/TLJ sabers could be the same prop. Perhaps the pommel was turned around and the other differences are in lighting. Perhaps there were two made... The Hero and an FX stunt.

Got point about the pommel. But I'm pretty sure the boxes are totally different.

I’m not seeing a plate with screws is anyone else... damn this beat up old iPhone screen.. damn you to hell!! I can’t wait to get the hell out of here and see this on a computer screen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not enough references to really tell. We have poor shots from TLJ and a poor shot with bad lighting from the Target video.

Got point about the pommel. But I'm pretty sure the boxes are totally different.

We know for a fact now they used the same Hero for the Graflex between the two films. Why make a new hero for TLJ that borrowed most of the details from the BTS TFA saber when they still have the unused hero from TFA? This is why I think they are the same saber and they may have made some modifications. Perhaps they wanted it to hang differently on the belt so they rotated the pommel. Perhaps they changed the card for whatever reason, might even have been lost. Also, there may have been alterations done when they did the CGI hand as stated and there may be an FX version. I'm just not ready to say they are different based on the poor shot in the Target video.

Last edited:
Not enough references to really tell. We have poor shots from TLJ and a poor shot with bad lighting from the Target video.

We know for a fact now they used the same Hero for the Graflex between the two films. Why make a new hero for TLJ that borrowed most of the details from the BTS TFA saber when they still have the unused hero from TFA? This is why I think they are the same saber and they may have made some modifications. Perhaps they wanted it to hang differently on the belt so they rotated the pommel. Perhaps they changed the card for whatever reason, might even have been lost. Also, there may have been alterations done when they did the CGI hand as stated and there may be an FX version. I'm just not ready to say they are different based on the poor shot in the Target video.

We've made better guesses on less info.

Logically speaking, I get where you are coming from. The body very well much could be the same one-- it looks it. But the boxes are pretty different. I'm not sure why they would change just that-- though Rian Johnson did ask for a slight change to Kylo's scar and Stormtrooper helmets, so maybe knowing this saber was getting a closeup wanted something cleaner. It wouldn't be the first time a prop was tweaked between films.

BUT-- that's clearly not the box seen in TLJ. If this video was made after TLJ, there's no reason the box would be reverted.

I'm really feeling that this is just the TFA BTS and the pommel rotates. That's the cleanest, simplest conclusion.

The tri-ring position and the even grenade rings certainly make it seem like the TLJ-- but the PCB card is completely different (8 gold bards as opposed to 13), and if you subscribe to my theory of a lower profile single button, that's also off.

The Graflex they show is definitely the TLJ version

I count 10!

This one is for halliwax :D

1754b8d14724238b96c72473276a5895.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, I'm new to the RPF, but I'd thought I'd throw my thoughts in! I think the version of Luke's lightsaber from the Star Wars Show, we are seeing is the BTS TFA version. It looks to me that it has symmetrical pommel cubes. While the TLJ version appears to have asymmetrical pommel cubes, similar to the original Hero/Yuma.

daaaaaaammmmmn!!!!! on baby i want this! thanks roy!

- - - Updated - - -

can someone verify for me

when you refer to symmetrical cubes on the pommel, are we referring to the 1 cube lining up with the control box? and asymmetrical meaning the control box lines up in between the 2 cubes on the pommel?

i never understood this, i always thought it meant the cubes were cut at random, but they all look evening spaced to me? im lost on this

daaaaaaammmmmn!!!!! on baby i want this! thanks roy!

- - - Updated - - -

can someone verify for me

when you refer to symmetrical cubes on the pommel, are we referring to the 1 cube lining up with the control box? and asymmetrical meaning the control box lines up in between the 2 cubes on the pommel?

i never understood this, i always thought it meant the cubes were cut at random, but they all look evening spaced to me? im lost on this

Basically, if you were to draw a line through the pommel cubes. It should be identical on both sides. But in the case of the Hero/Yuma, one edge is shorter than the other.New canvas.jpg

Attachments

• New canvas.jpg
    New canvas.jpg
    540.9 KB · Views: 115
Thanks for the responses guys. I get what you guys are saying about them being different and I'm inclined to agree given the points made. Either way I find the TFA/TLJ versions of this saber to be more interesting than the so-call ROTJ Hero although none of them touch the ROTJ V2 for me.I definitely am looking forward to the next TLJ run that gets done here on the RPF!

Ah! So exciting!! This also looks like TFA lightsaber to me on account of the copper brownish weathering, the bright triangle colours and apparent lack of screws/plate in the activation box, just like the Anakin Starkiller version. If they're built like the master replicas/SD studios where there's a large metal rod holding it together, it's easy to make the pommel rotate. Does anybody know if they switched prop companies in between films? I heard a rumor in the forum that the company that did the props for TFA had a lot of issues with their props breaking for many of the movies they worked on and that their commercial side, the propshop, went burst. A change of manufacturer could explain why we're seeing all these little changes from film to film.

Ah! So exciting!! This also looks like TFA lightsaber to me on account of the copper brownish weathering, the bright triangle colours and apparent lack of screws/plate in the activation box, just like the Anakin Starkiller version. If they're built like the master replicas/SD studios where there's a large metal rod holding it together, it's easy to make the pommel rotate. Does anybody know if they switched prop companies in between films? I heard a rumor in the forum that the company that did the props for TFA had a lot of issues with their props breaking for many of the movies they worked on and that their commercial side, the propshop, went burst. A change of manufacturer could explain why we're seeing all these little changes from film to film.

I too have heard they went with a different prop company... I figured that’s why there was so many changes in the Props

New cross guard
New graflex(s)
New trooper helmets

So on and so on, just my theory

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back