Solo: A Star Wars Story

I think people are seriously getting their hopes if they believe that the ship that looks 95% like the MF and being shown in the trailer for the movie about Han Solo isn't the MF. Better get used to it before stepping foot in the cinema.

I kind of like the idea of Han turning it into a unique piece of junk himself over time, it's just a shame that a Han Solo movie doesn't have the recognizable look we've all come to know and love.

Agreed-- to pull that off would make for such clunky exposition and would basically serve the story zero. It's time to accept what the stock Falcon looked like... or don't #notmyfalcon

Agreed-- to pull that off would make for such clunky exposition and would basically serve the story zero. It's time to accept what the stock Falcon looked like... or don't #notmyfalcon

If anything, we're getting a nod to Ralph MQs original concept MF! TFA did that with the XWings. I love the idea of seeing a new, off the assembly line MF. It's just fun to speculate what and how the story is going to play out. :)

I'm kind of liking the two-ships theory.

On the clean ship the lights in the walls are circles on a square plate. Cool-colored. 9 spokes.

On the dirty ship the lights are just circles. Warm-colored. 3 spokes. The part in the center of the light also looks a little different.

Unless someone just had to change them, then I think it's a major clue that there are indeed two ships here.

The Lego toy does look to be labeled as the "Kessel Run Millennium Falcon" after all (although that would be kind of a cool bit of disinformation if it really wasn't).

Attachments

• falcon.jpg
    falcon.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 111
2 ships would be hilarious, Lando gives Han the blue one to do The Run, and the blue one wins in 12 parsecs, then Lando gives him the old one as a prize. Then Han modifies it to make it fast and leaves the piece of junk cosmetics, and tells everyone its the same ship, but won UNDER 12 parsecs. And then Lando gets jealous because its faster than his blue one, and which is why he gets mad about repairs and says its his on Cloud City.

So I have officially waited too long to dig into Solo... and also completely trashed the rest of my day at work... I know I should feel bad about this... but all I know is ping pong Tie Fighters...

Hi Gang,

So theory is that the ship we see in the Solo trailer is NOT the actual MF. If so... I would love it if at some point during the movie Han thinks the ship he is flying is in fact Lando's. During whatever game they play where Lando looses the MF to Han, the actual MF is revealed to be the piece of junk we all know and love! That would be a great scene! :)

Man! That's exactly how I wanna see it go down. ✅

Looking at the MF as a hot rod by someone that grew up in the old skool hot rod scene, the blue MF is an Imperial/corporate ship they steal as part of a job/escape then strip it and use its parts on an old beater making a sleeper (vehicle nobody would think twice about yet under the hood its a jet fueled rocket) which is the MF we know.
How many here recall the Ford Courier mini truck and how much of a joke they looked until a sleeper would show up with a super charged small block or twin turbo melting its tires. Im veering away from the rat rods or buckets as the MF is a freighter not a light weight roller with an over sized motor shoe horned in. Long before the internet someone building a custom car would have to rely on know how and experience first hand which involved trial and error and many times someone mentoring. Somewhere along the way the car scene went from go go go strait out power with little care of how it looked on the outside to fart pipes and ground effect wing kits. If they put that much thought into the MF in this film, ill be impressed.

I agree that the Falcon for me is as much as charcter as Han and Chewie. I admit im not tuned into the non film stuff as I should be but seeing the evolution of the Falcon is interesting to me and in my inner ten year old monolouge we see the Faclon going thru some s#^& in this movie in the third act, Han wins it, Han and Chewy fix, remove, etc in the final minutes, Han and Chewie behind the controls, “punch it Chewie”, as Han and Chewie blast off to adventures yet told, wipe to Directed By Ron Howard.....

I agree that the Falcon for me is as much as charcter as Han and Chewie. I admit im not tuned into the non film stuff as I should be but seeing the evolution of the Falcon is interesting to me and in my inner ten year old monolouge we see the Faclon going thru some s#^& in this movie in the third act, Han wins it, Han and Chewy fix, remove, etc in the final minutes, Han and Chewie behind the controls, “punch it Chewie”, as Han and Chewie blast off to adventures yet told, wipe to Directed By Ron Howard.....

I'm hoping that by the end of the film.....if it's a half decent movie....we still don't see the Falcon as we are used to seeing her......leaving it open for a sequel.....where we see more of it's transformation

J

websolo_Poster.jpg

I love love the idea that we get to see a super clean new falcon (We do basically believe this to be the falcon yes?).

But I'm really having trouble believing she can get that ****ed up in what, 10 yrs?

And then barely changes in 40 more bar some extra external piping and bits...

No theory can make this work unless its a different ship.... and its not.

So confused.

It might be closer to 5 yrs before we first saw her in ANH, if you go by the canon age of Han being 29 in ANH. In the old EU, that was about how long Han had the ship, prior to ANH, anyway.

I honestly don't have much problem with the ship becoming so heavily modified, and so beat up, in so few years.

What I actually have a bigger problem with is how little the ship changed over the 30+ years after the OT. I guess they were afraid to change it too much, with all the nostalgia-pandering they wanted to do with TFA.

Again, in the old EU, the Falcon went through some pretty dramatic changes during that time, including getting completely rebuilt from the frame up. It lost the original turrets and quad blasters, which were replaced with quad light turbolasers. At one point, the port mandible was replaced with a lightning gun, and then the mandible was restored. Han even painted the ship matte black, after Chewie's death.

I found it silly to show the ship again with so little changed in TFA. After all those years, and changing hands multiple times, all that was different was a new dish, and a compressor added to the ignition line. Really? Not even some additional damage, or repaired damage? They could have at least changed around a few off-colored panels or something. We saw bigger changes between ANH and ESB.

Hopefully, with this Solo movie, we will at least see some decent damage done to the ship by the end of the movie, showing it on her way to becoming the ship we know and love.

To be fair, the Falcon didn't change much between ROTJ and TFA, possibly as a result of neglect on Jakku.

I'm in the "it's a different ship" camp.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Ive a feeling this is going to be a closed loop suggestion, again, consider the MF being a hot rod pieced together by a close knit handful of people. With hot rods, new ownership rarely sees change to the vehicle outside of a new stereo or possibly wheels over many, many years. In this instance, sticking to what was established in TFA, the MF is a hot rod that has its own lore and history so ownership is more bragging rights than it is actually flying it by those various gangs that stole it. So in those 30 years, it would remain unchanged as it wasnt used for smuggling after gaining its well known reputation. Instead it would have been relegated to garage duty and Han sought out a new ship...
The compressor to me seems as if it would be an EGR valve or some other form of smog equipment that would choke fuel intake on a motor. Like ive stated, if they put this much thought into these things, sticking with hot rod style and a past era of Americana, there will be layers and depth.

Ill also go on record and say I believe Han gets into trouble hot rodding around, as seen in the trailer, forcing his decision to either go to jail or join the Imperial Navy. This is also part of a long gone era of Americana lore. Both Lucas himself and Ron Howard grew up in this era. I mention Lucas because its well known what his influences were, when and where. If sticking to that theme, as it seems to be in the trailer, then Ron Howard is the perfect director to helm this film. The car chase film era was a lot of fun.

Eat My Dust.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05U2KaGlIC8

Grand Theft Auto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfua6OQHsQY

I'm right there with you, robstyle. I'm an old SoCal car modder myself. There were always reasons for cars to continue to be modified though, whether it was because they got wrecked, or blew a motor, or newer technology became available that opened up new possibilities. Maybe you got a great deal on a non-EGR JDM motor that was rated higher than the domestically available USDM counterpart. Usually, it was as simple as that never-ending desire to just keep making them go faster. The faster they were, the more often something got broke, and then replaced with something better.

I would have to disagree on the garage-queen status for the Falcon, though. Apparently, Han went right back to smuggling, and continued to do so after the Falcon got stolen. The history of the ship didn't seem to matter too much to those who stole it, as it ended up in a junk pile on Jakku, and was regarded as "garbage" by Rey, despite her otherwise intricate knowledge of the ship, and never realizing that it was the Millennium Falcon. If stealing it was about bragging rights over having a famous ship, it would have been blabbed.

Maybe that is the only reason it did stay so unchanged: despite being valuable enough to steal, it always ended up regarded as garbage on closer inspection, and left to rot over the years.

That's why I would expect to at least see more damage and/or repairs, and with whatever was handy and available.

We saw technological and design advances on everything else by TFA. I would expect to see some upgrades on the Falcon too, assuming she was still a useful ship, worth getting stolen multiple times. Since nobody seemed to realize or care about the historical significance of the ship, and we know how unreliable the ship was, I would expect that the various owners would have at least attempted to do more with her. Likewise, if the ship did have the reputation and was also recognizable, I would think that somebody who stole it might be likely to want to try to disguise it as well.

Personally, I think the extent of thought that went into the "compressor" was to come up with a plot device to establish Rey's aptitude to Han, and nothing more.

I'm totally with you on Howard, and the car chase film possibilities. I totally hope you are right.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back