Kingsman: The Golden Circle (Post-release)

I must have missed something but I was really confused when Eggsy and Merlin were being interrogated by Tequila. He wanted to know who they were then shows them Harry while threatening to shoot him. Why did Tequila think showing/threatening a random intelligence agent would work?

If I have a real gripe it's that they cleaned house too thoroughly, and have now lost great characters like Roxy and Merlin for future installments. I feel like they needed to spare at least one of those two, especially now that the support role is completely empty for both KM and SM. Roxy could have been a great Merlin, and is even playing that role a bit for Eggsy's royal dinner.

I'm not convinced that Roxy kicked the bucket. I'd like to see Harry become Arthur but I did enjoy that they never settled the Galahad name. Also I wish Tequila had more action scenes.

I fully expect Roxy to wake up from being injured and become the new Merlin, some lingering injury keeping her out of the field initially. Harry is definitely the new Arthur.

Merlin was such a great character...he could have kept his foot on the mine, while they killed the guards and stopped poppy..and turned off the mines.. not rocket science

Well, you can't exactly just "turn off" a mine, there is no on/off switch on a mine and while they can be disarmed, I'd imagine that it's probably just a wee bit difficult to do so while you're actually standing on it. However, it might be theoretically possible to survive a mine blast if you leaped off of it instead of just stepping off, but in all likelihood a person can't jump fast enough to actually beat the mine going off. Plus, this is Hollywood, even if it is possible to do so, Merlin would still be dead because in Hollywood anything and everything that blows up does so in a much more spectacular fashion than they do in real life, so Merlin would have still been caught in the blast and blown to bits even when in real life he might get away with just being maimed.

Not in real life, but in the movie Poppy turns off the mines so her lawyer can safely get to the compound. Which I suppose is actually doable if they were all computer controlled and wifi compatible.

I actually forgot about that part. From the looks of it, the mines are still triggered in the usual manner by means of a pressure plate or plunger that primes the mine and it goes off when pressure is removed. I think what the electronic part does is work as a safety and turns off the triggering mechanism so that even if you step on it you don't trigger the mine. However, I think that if the mine is off safe if it's triggered there's nothing that can be done about it and it's going to work like a regular mine at that point.

From the standpoint of the movie, I think what would have been plausible would have been for Merlin to let the goons get closer, take them out, and them pulled an Indy and quickly drag one of the guards on top of the mine in his place. Would it work in real life? Highly doubt it, but it does seem Hollywood believable to me.

Being a replica prop firearm collector and builder, I really hope the Statesman carry some big, obnoxious revolver!

Colt single-action army, nickel plated, with a second barrel in the lower cylinder alignment. Very do-able on a replica.

B929973E-68F6-4FD5-9950-454687534335.jpeg

B929973E-68F6-4FD5-9950-454687534335.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not in real life, but in the movie Poppy turns off the mines so her lawyer can safely get to the compound. Which I suppose is actually doable if they were all computer controlled and wifi compatible.

that was my thought exactly...she was turning them on and off for the lawyer...they could have turned it off.. possibly use the umbrella to take the blast

I meant to make this post weeks ago and finally remembered. I enjoyed the movie even though it did feel a little slow in parts like someone else said. And I'm still annoyed that they "killed off" Roxy. I really hope they resurrect her somehow. Elton John was a great surprise. My first thought when they showed the release of the cure: "Most of that is going to end up on eBay".

Felt the first one was superior, as this one, like fawbish pointes already, was not as tight story-wise, quite ... dissipated. Still very enjoyable and over the top ! Church scene was not quite beaten though.
The price paid to get Harry back was severe ! Both Roxy and Merlin ... I hope Roxy is still kicking, otherwise it’s bit of a waste... She beat Eggsy at the Kingsman trials, she’s a skilled agent !
And was not expected them to take that Danish princess joke as far as they did... I wonder what it means for Eggsy in the future.
Bonus point for Tatum looking goofy as hell in the British Kingsman attire !

so no one here saw the image of Strong with greenscreen legs?
3dae9d8cca5155159e83867ec2d93111--mark-strong-golden-circle.jpg

it seems there was footage filmed of Merlin alive, with said robot legs, after the explosion, including at the wedding. hence the kilt.

Matthew Vaughn told the story of Merlin's fate in a podcast with Empire a few months ago.

He was going to survive, but it was decided it takes away from the great emotional sendoff given.

Looking at these shots in HD, the CG imposed Merlin looks terrible :lol, even if it's just the first few frames.
The rest could be a dummy. I can't tell, but it looks damn well like he's set up to return if they kept it like this when CG was involved.

Kingsman - The Golden Circle.mkv_snapshot_01.51.30_[2017.11.29_23.49.50].pngKingsman - The Golden Circle.mkv_snapshot_01.51.30_[2017.11.29_23.49.59].pngKingsman - The Golden Circle.mkv_snapshot_01.51.31_[2017.11.29_23.50.26].png

Merlin also attended the wedding originally.
Some of you may have seen the photo of Mark Strong wearing green-screen leggings. That was for this scene (although I'm sure there would have been a previous establishing explanation as to why he can then stand up at the wedding...
When you watch the wedding again, check for this guy and play it back a few times. It's someone else's head on Mark Strong. You'll notice the weird bob in his "neck" as he stands up. This could also be a means for his return in writing K3, maybe he WAS at the wedding in disguise.

merlin at wedding.png

His original return was legless, crawling through one of the robot dogs doors at Poppy's restaurant, while Eggsy and Harry crying for him, calling them pansies for crying or something like that. The explanation of how he survived was Statesman's blue bulletproof/bombproof undersuit, seen when Tequila is dancing in the hallway (it only covers to the knee), and on the flight to Poppyland. I'm guessing the undersuit was originally mentioned on the flight upon revealing the other kit.

If he returns in Kingsman 3, I suppose we can look back on this and consider this as how it was all possible.

Really looking forward to the conclusion of the trilogy.

Yeah i know one of my friends was watching it before it was even released to the Theatres. :lol

I like to reward movies I like with money though as I never pay to see them in the theatre

the blu ray has already been ripped and put online [emoji28]
still gonna go buy that sweet steelbook with dave gibbons art

Yeah i know one of my friends was watching it before it was even released to the Theatres. :lol

I like to reward movies I like with money though as I never pay to see them in the theatre

yeah, exactly. i get too eager to watch things again and grab them when i can. but when the blu ray comes around, i’m all over that. ended up with 3 different blu ray versions of guardians vol. 2 haha

"Let the junkie scum go down in flames!"
- Best. President. Ever.

A little embarrassed for Elton John.

Overall, it was fun. Just the right amount of humor. Maybe a little tedious at times, but I don't think it was any worse than the first one.

Did anyone else recognize the music when Harry gets his memory back?

Well, you can't exactly just "turn off" a mine, there is no on/off switch on a mine and while they can be disarmed, I'd imagine that it's probably just a wee bit difficult to do so while you're actually standing on it. However, it might be theoretically possible to survive a mine blast if you leaped off of it instead of just stepping off, but in all likelihood a person can't jump fast enough to actually beat the mine going off.

I can't ID the mine, but I'm guessing it's a Hollywood mine.
Size-wise, it looks like an anti-tank mine, which requires more pressure than the average person exerts by stepping on it.
Generally speaking, they're not designed to initiate after the pressure exerted on them has been released. As far as I can remember that's pretty exclusive to "bouncing Betty" anti-personnel mines. Those types could be immobilized or gagged to keep from functioning. Plaster of Paris is one of the procedures for rendering mines safe
The amount of explosives in an anti-tank mine is usually >15lbs, which wouldn't toss the people away... it would take them apart and turn them into mush.
I'm surprised, given these movies' gratuitous violence, they didn't go more graphic on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back