Back To The Future 2015 Set (CG Model)

Registered just so I could say--Awesome!! Fantastic work. I was thinking the other day--I wonder if anyone has tried to do a 3D print of a model of the Hill Valley courthouse? Decided to look it up--turns out you're the only one! So I eagerly await more news on this project. I would *absolutely* go get a 3D model made of the courthouse if you get it finished.

Also, I second the idea about having this as a level in a FPS game---would LOVE to play that.

Again, awesome work! Makes me want to learn more 3D modeling :)

Following this project- simply amazing! I was on the backlot and in those buildlings the day before it all burned down in 1990. There was still a lot of the 'future' set dressing deco inside many of the buildings at the time; I wish I had taken pictures of everything. I did manage to remove the stickers from a piece of vacuformed detail behind the counter of the Café 80s (you can see them when Marty pulls Marty Jr. behind the counter). If I had known it was all going to be ashes soon, I would have taken some more pieces!

Mark

Following this project- simply amazing! I was on the backlot and in those buildlings the day before it all burned down in 1990. There was still a lot of the 'future' set dressing deco inside many of the buildings at the time; I wish I had taken pictures of everything. I did manage to remove the stickers from a piece of vacuformed detail behind the counter of the Café 80s (you can see them when Marty pulls Marty Jr. behind the counter). If I had known it was all going to be ashes soon, I would have taken some more pieces!

Mark

How did it burn down? That seems to happen to a lot of backlot sets...

How did it burn down? That seems to happen to a lot of backlot sets...

Some sort of accident caused by security guard, but there was also speculation that it was done to get insurance money to renovate the backlot. It wasn't the entire backlot- just the new York city streets and courthouse square. The clock tower building itself was the only thing from BTTF to survive.

M

Just found this site which has navigable 3D 1955 Courthouse Square. I've wanted to do this for so long!!!: http://www.babylonjs.com/

Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 12.05.05 AM.png

Just found this site which has navigable 3D 1955 Courthouse Square. I've wanted to do this for so long!!!: http://www.babylonjs.com/

View attachment 504850
That is amazing...but also VERY intimidating. My practical model will be a LOT bigger than I expected, to include all those small shops and everything. I don't even know if the files I have include drawings for all those streets; whoever made this CG model really did their research.

That's surprisingly good, aside from the scaled down detail to get it on the web. But this thread is about my work, dag nabbit! :lol

I've been busy with real paid work, but I really want to get something done on time for October 21 2015, so I'm slowly getting back into this. It's daunting because I don't remember what parts where accurate or not, or what I was doing, but I'm getting back on track.

Highest priority is to finish off the Cafe '80s. Here's a comparison between a photo (which isn't from BTTF, but some unspecified show/movie probably somewhere from 85-89 that made slight modifications, but nothing that affects my work), and my current progress render. There are some parts that are obviously not done (especially the second floor), and I've placed the door handles a little lower to match where they're mounted in BTTF2.

It's far from 100% yet, but I'm happy with how it's coming along this time. This is the third time I've rebuilt this building, and this time I've built it from the inside out. I think it's helped with the accuracy, assuming the rest goes equally well.

cafe_photo.jpgcafe_render.jpg

@<i><a href="http://www.therpf.com/member.php?u=39524" target="_blank">BlobVanDam</a></i> check this out, It was posted in the fb group "Back to the Future Collection" by Greg Stone. Lots of nice videos taken during bttf 2 of the different vending machines and a few shots of the inside of places.
Don't know if you need to be a member of the group to see it.
[video]https://www.facebook.com/greg.stone.52090/videos/1240008586061817/[/video]

Thanks for the link! You apparently do have to be a member to see it, but I was able to join without any trouble and watch the video. I have a few different tour videos of the BTTF2 set, but none of them are as long or as good quality as this. Nice to see lots of those details that don't show up well in the movie.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back