Solo: A Star Wars Story

I may be off on the timing, but didn't Star Trek pull this same schit a week before their latest film, announcing that Sulu was quear?! I remember, even George Takei, a real life gay, said it was retarded to retcon his character that way.

Oy vey.

Personally, I think the intolerance I'm seeing in this thread says a whole lot more about the people posting it than it does about the movie. I find it laughable.

I think Lando having a "pansexual" proclivity is simply an interesting twist on his character, rather than some leftist Hollywood attempt to shove anything down anybody's throat. From everything I have read, it is concerning his emotional relationship with his droid. Nothing about it would even justify calling it a retcon. It would just be another facet to this character, that doesn't retcon anything. Sulu was a retcon, like it or not. I've always imagined that Lando would nail pretty much anything that moves, personally. "Hello, what have we here..."

The press might spin it into something more, and writer Jonathan Kasdan may have shown a degree of sensitivity when addressing the question, but that just does not translate into some political agenda being forced on anybody, or slippery slopes going from hot Twi'leks to something that would offend anybody's religious/moral leanings. Frankly, such personal leanings should be kept to yourselves anyway, and not projected onto Star Wars, or the rest of us. This political nonsense isn't supposed to be allowed on this site, anyway.

Yeah, I broke down and reserved my seats and will see it Thursday night. Was going to wait, but I heard Chewbacca is the reason to go see this.........

Why !?... why oh why does this iteration of LFL ( Post Disney ) have to keep ******* around with well established , well loved and defined OT characters !!!???

If they really feel the need to include every spectrum of ( real world ) humanity in all its wonderous variety , then certainly please , please do so , with interesting ‘ original ‘ ones of your own ( eyeballing you Kasdan jr. ) and leave my childhood ones alone ! FFSakes !
Seems Star Wars is becoming Star Wars -Lite with every film release lately !

Ged

“I would have loved to have gotten a more explicitly LGBT character into this movie. I think it's time, certainly, for that, and I love the fluidity ― sort of the spectrum of sexuality that Donald appeals to and that droids are a part of." John Kasdan

This is an open admission of political agenda being forced into popular culture. Hitching their antisocial justice wagon to the Star Wars train. Causing it to slow down and some of the passengers are jumping off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know who's opinion doesn't hold any weight, I know who I don't care to sell anything to, and if any of you guys ever decides to argue with me, I don't need to be offended because I already know you're stupid.

“I would have loved to have gotten a more explicitly LGBT character into this movie. I think it's time, certainly, for that, and I love the fluidity ― sort of the spectrum of sexuality that Donald appeals to and that droids are a part of." John Kasdan

This is an open admission of political agenda being forced into popular culture. Hitching their antisocial justice wagon to the Star Wars train. Causing it to slow down and some of the passengers are jumping off.

There is nothing political about representation - that is just holding up a mirror to all and letting everyone's images reflect back instead of just the privileged fews faces.
At least 1 in 20 people are gay so I imagine we need quite a few new gay characters.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is nothing political about representation - that is just holding up a mirror to all and letting everyone's images reflect back instead of just the privileged fews faces.
At least 1 in 20 people are gay so I imagine we need quite a few new gay characters.

Fine, create "new" gay characters. But don't ruin our iconic characters we've loved since our childhood--like Lando and Sulu--by retroactively making them gay.

Why draw attention to a characters sexuality unless it is specifically part of the narrative. It’s not something that matters or has any relevance. A person is a person. Why do they need to be labelled or put in a catagory? Do people only watch movies if they feel they are being represented?

Fine, create "new" gay characters. But don't ruin our iconic characters we've loved since our childhood--like Lando and Sulu--by retroactively making them gay.

Agreed.
The main fact of the matter is that Star Wars has never really been that sexual. A kiss here or there, a baby every now and then but I wouldn't say that Star Wars is particularly Hetro.
Its more about camaraderie than who you want to bed.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back