Star Trek TMP Dr Chapel Medical Scanner

You couldn't be more right! I've actually got a Ph.D in screwing up, but if I manage to keep all my fingers, I'll be an expert when I grow up! :p

Indeed! I look forward to reading about your other projects.

I'm going to go work on the machining part of this project this week while more castings cure and will post updates soon to let you know how it goes.

Here it is with the pieces held in place (nozzle is pressure fit):

View attachment 418989

An advantage of casting it in black is I don't have to paint it, and it has a nice smooth feel right away. :) I'm very happy with how this has come out so far.

Aw man, that's looking beautiful, buddy! All the pieces go really nicely together. I like the idea of no painting required. Just assemble and Ta-daa!

I think that's partly the reason I have so many builds still undone. The thought of having to do all that painting can seem a little daunting sometimes :p

Things are poking along. I have put corner radii on the aluminum side bars and the (smaller) top buttons. I'm in the process of polishing them. My goal at the moment is to make 10 scanners.

20150107_034139585_iOS.jpg

With the radiused edges, before polishing:

20150108_103653612_iOS.jpg

I'm making bodies, but the de-mold time means I can only make one per day, with the occasional throwaway due to bubbles. (I figured out last night that I was using the pot at too low a pressure and will increase by 10 psi to 60 tonight.)

I'll be posting more granular updates/techniques on my workshop notebook.

Things are poking along. I have put corner radii on the aluminum side bars and the (smaller) top buttons. I'm in the process of polishing them. My goal at the moment is to make 10 scanners.

[...]

Hopefully I can get one of these in exchange for one of the things I'll be offering soon. They're coming along really nice, my friend :)

I'm in for one as long as its a reasonable price, if your'e selling them

Actually, he mentioned somewhere that he's not really making these for sale, but rather doing up a few to do trades with.

Pardon me, my mistake..I would think that with all that R & D, that it would have been a for sale item...That's what I get for thinking,,,,

No worries, dude. That's a completely logical assumption to make when someone puts this much effort into a piece like this.

I'm sure if you contacted him directly, the two of you could come to some sort of arrangement. Doesn't hurt to ask ;)

Well, slowly but sure I've now finished the first scanner to my satisfaction. I ended up casting the body in an onyx resin, no paint! This meant I could polish it up to a nice shine just like the aluminum parts. I have been writing about the machining process over in my notebook thread.

I'm going to make a few more for practice and good measure (and possibly trades).

final-build-first-copy-20150130-3.jpg

final-build-first-copy-20150130-1.jpg

final-build-first-copy-20150130-2.jpg

final-build-first-copy-20150130-4.jpg

Sorry for the fingerprint in this last photo. I snapped these photos off fairly hastily and didn't have a polishing cloth on hand.
final-build-first-copy-20150130-5.jpg

Wow fantastic! Agreed, it definitely looks much more like a real tool than a prop, seeing how refined it looks! Would definitely love one of these for my collection!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back