Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

When Amazon ships these I hope they pack them better than some items I receive where the item is just loose in a box that is much bigger.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Some more lovely images from Bandai's FB page from SDCC

20246218_254527288376487_8740615110481492965_n.jpg

20229249_254125245083358_9102697805854018360_n.jpg

20228463_254055641756985_2780753428119181383_n.jpg

20108444_253300915165791_6361165170209794657_n.jpg

20139642_253086338520582_6310170546937290853_n.jpg

J

My big concern with any paint is how it's going to react to Bandai's plastic. I can't move the joints on my modified AT-ST because my wash cracked the plastic. I'm hopeful Bandai has recognized the problem and is using something more robust on the PG MF, but I'm going to wait on deciding my paints until after I see what kind of success others are having. If Guy's paints are the bomb, I'd happily pay the extra plus shipping from the UK to get them.

My big concern with any paint is how it's going to react to Bandai's plastic. I can't move the joints on my modified AT-ST because my wash cracked the plastic. I'm hopeful Bandai has recognized the problem and is using something more robust on the PG MF, but I'm going to wait on deciding my paints until after I see what kind of success others are having. If Guy's paints are the bomb, I'd happily pay the extra plus shipping from the UK to get them.

Quote from Guy:
In response to the post in the RPF, Bandai models need to have a primer coat then all is well.

If people want to paint direct to plastic then they have to use waterborne paints and they don't cut the mustard in my opinion.

I will paint bandais in this paint to show it works...people need to primer to do proper paint jobs and this is the barrier coat required
1f642.png

J

Last edited:

I used Tamiya Fine white primer on my AT-ST and still had issues. I almost never paint direct over plastic. I'm certainly not trying to imply Guy's paints would be a problem, but given the money I'm sinking into the PG MF I want to err on the side of caution and see what techniques and products are working for other people on whatever plastic Bandai uses on this kit. I want to paint this sucker once and be satisfied.

Hey Jaitea , re ; post#564 & 568 - what type / brand of ' primer ' is recommended for Bandai plastic ? I'm planning to use Tamiya ' fine ' grey surface primer on my 1/48 snowspeeders , will that be safe ?

Cheers Ged

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey @Jaitea , re ; post#564 & 568 - what type / brand of ' primer ' is recommended for Bandai plastic ? I'm planning to use Tamiya ' fine ' grey surface primer on my 1/48 snowspeeders , will that be safe ?

Cheers Ged
I've used Stynlrez with with great success. It's fantastic.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hey @Jaitea , re ; post#564 & 568 - what type / brand of ' primer ' is recommended for Bandai plastic ? I'm planning to use Tamiya ' fine ' grey surface primer on my 1/48 snowspeeders , will that be safe ?

Cheers Ged

Ged,..I use Hycote car primer,....its nice & fine,...smooth....never splatters,...dead cheap....Grey, Black,...Oxide...(which is almost exact shade for Falcon red)....White...& has no ill effects on Bandai plastic

5368c6c0de393.jpg

I really don't know what I would do if my autoparts shop changed brands

J

Isn't Tamiya AS-20 pretty dead on straight out of the can for a Falcon?

SB

I'd say it should be pretty close for a model based on the 5 footer,.....but it's not dark enough for the 32" version,.....it's a good bit dirtier

J

Ged,..I use Hycote car primer,....its nice & fine,...smooth....never splatters,...dead cheap....Grey, Black,...Oxide...(which is almost exact shade for Falcon red)....White...& has no ill effects on Bandai plastic

I really don't know what I would do if my autoparts shop changed brands

J

This stuff is only £4.99 for a 400ml can from The Range. I was unsure on whether or not to use it for models,but if you say its that good i will definatly give it a try. I bought a couple of cans for an RC plane paintjob some time ago and still have alot left over.

Did you decant it, or was it used straight from the can?

This stuff is only £4.99 for a 400ml can from The Range. I was unsure on whether or not to use it for models,but if you say its that good i will definatly give it a try. I bought a couple of cans for an RC plane paintjob some time ago and still have alot left over.

Did you decant it, or was it used straight from the can?

Straight from the can Roboted, I've used other brands years ago & was always worried how the paint came out of the nozzle, but this stuff I have every confidence

.....also,....during the build up of my MPC Falcon,....if you spray an area, and later want to add a styrene part with model cement, I found that the glue dissolved & bonded with the primer, part & model,.....no need to scrape off primer in that area to attach new parts

J

Thanks for sharing info regarding primer/s safe to use on Bandai plastic @ Shaunpug ( Stynylrez ) & Jaitea ( Hycote ) . Unfortunately the prices for these particular products here in Aus is pretty expensive , due to ( shipping $$ ) from O/S . Does anyone here know if products available ( Dulux , SCA , Rustoleum , Krylon etc... here in Oz ) have comparable qualities to the two mentioned ?
After what Hunk of junk said about Tamiyas White primer , I'm having second thoughts about using the Fine grey for my snow speeder .

Any / all help advice appreciated ,
Ged

I'd say it should be pretty close for a model based on the 5 footer,.....but it's not dark enough for the 32" version,.....it's a good bit dirtier

Hmmm. I bought some AS-20 a while ago as it seemed to be the thing that all the kids were doing. But having used it on another model, I'm not sure I really want to use it on my Falcons. It feels too dark and too tan-coloured!

For one thing, I prefer the look of the light coloured Falcon from the ANH effects shots. The 32" definitely has rougher and less refined paintwork, especially the use of bright yellow, and I don't want to go for that look. For another, colours scale - smaller models should have less colour saturation and contrast. That's why I'm toying with dropping the AS-20 and just mixing and airbrushing acrylics. But then you lose the advantage of a more impermeable base layer. Hmmmm...

Hmmm. I bought some AS-20 a while ago as it seemed to be the thing that all the kids were doing. But having used it on another model, I'm not sure I really want to use it on my Falcons. It feels too dark and too tan-coloured!

For one thing, I prefer the look of the light coloured Falcon from the ANH effects shots. The 32" definitely has rougher and less refined paintwork, especially the use of bright yellow, and I don't want to go for that look. For another, colours scale - smaller models should have less colour saturation and contrast. That's why I'm toying with dropping the AS-20 and just mixing and airbrushing acrylics. But then you lose the advantage of a more impermeable base layer. Hmmmm...

I've never used it, but it's the paint recommended by Steve Dymszo & DeAgostini for the 32" replica build,....most reports say is it's too light for the 32", I usually mix my own Vallejo white & Deck Tan 50/50.....but for my DeAgo I've ordered the Archive X 'Grime' from Guy

I know he will have the perfect shade for the Bandai 72

J

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back