Blade Runner 2049

Just watched the "2048" and "2036" shorts (been mostly avoiding things like that and trailers) and now I'm even more excited and at ease about this movie. Very curious to see if this ends up being another Fury Road situation, where the new entry arguably surpasses the original in a lot of viewers' eyes.
A lot of WRONG viewers. I thought Fury Road was great, but it's nothing to the first two Max movies! Anyhoo, early Twitter buzz is ALWAYS positive, but this sounds like a Chronicles of Riddick or Prometheus situation: a lean, mean original followed by a bloated "fate of the planet/ universe is at stake" snooze.

I've spoken my concerns and skepticism but I want to be clear that, with the talent involved, I don't think it'll be a bad movie. I think it may even be very good and certainly beautiful.
But, for me, I question if it'll be as emotionally satisfying as Blade Runner or even recognize what makes BR stand out from other sci-fi movies.
We'll see.

@CaymanShen
I think I'm also looking at it being a younger viewer who didn't see the original MM series beyond random TV showings before I saw FR, so I think my view like many similar watchers was influenced by that. I have since gone back to watch all 3 of the Mel movies and I really enjoy them, and can easily see why they are so genre defining. My point I guess is that I wonder how many new copies of Blade Runner will end up on shelves post BR2049, and if the follow up will serve to compliment as well as elevate the original and the series as a whole.

If they hit just half the notes they got right in that anime, the film should be at the very least "quite good!" That was an impressive piece of work!

Sorry Bryancd wasn't trying to imply any shifty behavior on your part, just seemed weird how it was blocked. Kind of annoying that the content is locked behind a CrunchyRoll membership though

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Harrison Ford seems pretty happy about the film. Honestly, he appears much more excited bout this film,mother when he was out promoting episode 7.

OK Let's say for conjecture I might know someone who has been to a screening (not me wish it was), and this hypothetical person is a huge fan of the Original, and part of the aqreement for this person seeing it is they keep their yapper shut...When asked of their over all impression of the film they summed it up in one word..."EPIC" Now I'm Pumped.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back