New BMF coming

Hopefully I'm answering this question correctly. They are the same gun. However, the image in Sculpting A Galaxy is an early image which features the Y shaped yoke connecting the cannon from the sides and the gun as seen now when on tour is missing that yoke as well as the "box" that sits on top of it. However, all the details appear to match, apart from the obvious circular disc on the side shielding where the yoke once connected to it.

I've just checked all the scenes featuring the 5ft Falcon in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of The Jedi and it seems the gun may have been damaged between the 2 films as the scene from TESB when the Falcon is landing on Bespin you can see the quad gun is sitting level. When I checked the scene in Return of the Jedi where the Falcon loses its radar dish the gun has a lower attitude at the rear making it point higher.
Thanks for that , at least I'm not loosing my mind , yet .

- - - Updated - - -

Loving the paintjob @Hotshot. Has that had black primer first? looks very nice so far.

I've done a bit the last couple of days, pipe replacing mostly

View attachment 420667
Its all wire from a Cooking whisk :) and I made a chisel from a screwdriver to remove the plastic as was recommended in this thread earlier.

Does anyone Know what falcon is on the deagostini magazine cover, it has a couple of extra greeblies and I want to know, are these old pics of the 32" real thing?
lads I'd love to know how your getting rid if those pipes so cleanly

Thanks very, very muchly for that, I've been anxiously watching which specific tanks, but the 1:72 vs 1:76 thing was making me nuts. Mrs Thekid took credit for the Paasche H single action and the compressor I bought for Christmas, so as soon as the resin kits start shipping, I'm IN BUSINESS! Woot!
Hi timmythekid
, I meant to reply sooner to this question with a photo of the 1/76 scale models with the hasbro , see below . Matilda 1/76 looks correct , I am not sure if the panther is correct detail wise , I may need a different variant .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 225
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 230
Hi timmythekid
, I meant to reply sooner to this question with a photo of the 1/76 scale models with the hasbro , see below . Matilda 1/76 looks correct , I am not sure if the panther is correct detail wise , I may need a different variant .

The original Falcon built for Star Wars used some 1/35 tank parts,.....when a smaller, easier to film Falcon was required for the Asteroid scenes in next film, The Empire Strikes Back,....they down-scaled the ship so that they could use as many of the same models in a different scale.....1/72, 1/72 for this 32" model....

...so this Hasbro is a bit smaller than the 32"......some of the 1/72 &76 parts although a little larger for this toy, you might be able to get away with....the back end of the Panther looks ways too large for the engine deck.....(but theres no need to replace the panther part anyway),.....but I've used some for some of the inserts,.....I don't think they are too noticeably large there

J

Vacformedhero its one thing that hasn't been checked in any depth, but I think the sidewall heights are good :)
also these are the tools I'm using most for getting rid of bad stuffs.

tools34web.jpg
The snips for chomping the best of it away and then the scalpels and such. The screwdriver has been sharpened into a chisel as nightrider has explained about 2.5mm wide.
I could do with another about 1.5mm wide too.

Last edited by a moderator:
The original Falcon built for Star Wars used some 1/35 tank parts,.....when a smaller, easier to film Falcon was required for the Asteroid scenes in next film, The Empire Strikes Back,....they down-scaled the ship so that they could use as many of the same models in a different scale.....1/72, 1/72 for this 32" model....

...so this Hasbro is a bit smaller than the 32"......some of the 1/72 &76 parts although a little larger for this toy, you might be able to get away with....the back end of the Panther looks ways too large for the engine deck.....(but theres no need to replace the panther part anyway),.....but I've used some for some of the inserts,.....I don't think they are too noticeably large there

J

Thanks, guys!! Yeah that much I knew, what was throwing me was over on one of the other mod threads several people were specifically saying 1:72 kits, but posted pics of the 1:76 kit boxes, which made me :wacko - were people saying the 1:72s were still close enough to use, or was it really the 1:76 kits I should be looking at? Since mine is going to be a relatively inexpensive job, with the resin kit most likely being the big ticket item for me on mine, I didn't want to start buying kits that were not going to be useable.

Sidenote - finally started chopping her ugly, stubby little legs off yesterday afternoon - Yay! But I was rushing, trying to get them done before heading out to a party, slipped while cutting downwards, and managed to stab a number 11 Xacto blade deep, deep into the muscle of my thigh - Boo!

Well, I suck at models, but I got a $25 gift card to Wal-Mart for Christmas. With this thing down to $30, I just couldn't resist.

My daughter is home from college & asked me,"What are you going to do with that thing?". My only response could be, "I have no idea.".

Hopefully, I can follow the great instructions here to do this thing justice.

J
Thanks , the panther does too large all right, I agree the hasbro detail isn't bad

@Vacformedhero its one thing that hasn't been checked in any depth, but I think the sidewall heights are good :)
also these are the tools I'm using most for getting rid of bad stuffs.

View attachment 420809
The snips for chomping the best of it away and then the scalpels and such. The screwdriver has been sharpened into a chisel as @nightrider has explained about 2.5mm wide.
I could do with another about 1.5mm wide too.
Thanks , I thought you had a secret weapon, I picked up some cheap micro chisels but they are not quite sharp enough , I have been using the scalpel horizontally but it need further cleaning. I'll try sanding it with very fine board.

apologies I thought earlier on he was specifically asking for the 5 footer , I had this screen grab from older DVDs I had , and you clarified the difference thanks
Interesting shot here of the quad canon Y mount actually in the rotated position returning fire (Haynes manual)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 239
Sidenote - finally started chopping her ugly, stubby little legs off yesterday afternoon - Yay! But I was rushing, trying to get them done before heading out to a party, slipped while cutting downwards, and managed to stab a number 11 Xacto blade deep, deep into the muscle of my thigh - Boo!
Ok..let's give you the how big a star wars fan are you...is it better to have stabbed your thigh? Or would you rather have a giant hole in your falcon? ha! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I suck at models, but I got a $25 gift card to Wal-Mart for Christmas. With this thing down to $30, I just couldn't resist.

My daughter is home from college & asked me,"What are you going to do with that thing?". My only response could be, "I have no idea.".

Hopefully, I can follow the great instructions here to do this thing justice.
And now its back to $69 bucks!

If anyone has a copy of the templates they wouldn't mind forwarding my way please send me a PM. I messaged Josh a couple of times but did not hear back.

Chris

Hi guys, im new at this, can somebody list the complete 1/76 scale kits that needs to be bought? Im following the 32" model..and would be buying this before my MF arrived from mail....Got the photo from the web, this is the 5' version do we have a similar photo for the 32". Can we get a similar list of kits for the 32"? Any advice would be helpful thanks.
MF009_13_STB_rear_maint_pit_zpsf478bd10.jpg

Last edited:
Ok..let's give you the how big a star wars fan are you...is it better to have stabbed your thigh? Or would you rather have a giant hole in your falcon? ha! :)

- - - Updated - - -

And now its back to $69 bucks!

Funny story - there's a LOT more blood in the average thigh than you'd think. Oh, and no question - just happy that when I slipped, the landing gear came off cleanly! Bonus unintended consequence was needing an explanation for the resultant limp at the party. Naturally I went with "Yeah, 4 guys (probably ninjas) jumped me in an alley, were talkin' smack 'bout ma woman, so I had to learn 'em a lesson" over "I stabbed myself cutting up a toy spaceship to make it more accurate".

Hi guys, I'm new to the rpf and joined because I've been following this amazing thread for the last two months. I was inspired by all of you that I wanted to get back into modeling and tackle this very ambitious project of creating my own MF studio model. I just had one question (and embarrassingly silly one on my part) ....what size and type of screwdriver are you guys using to get the screws out of the deeper parts of the Falcon (i.e. the ones towards the bottom center of the ship near the gunwell)? The screwdriver I'm using seems to be too thick the further that it goes into the hole. I have a #2 Phillips and seems to be the right size for the screw itself but not sure what I should be looking for for a thinner screwdriver. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Really?

As of tonight, it's still $30 on the clearance aisle.
Online ....on the Walmart web page its back to $69.96

- - - Updated - - -

Funny story - there's a LOT more blood in the average thigh than you'd think. Oh, and no question - just happy that when I slipped, the landing gear came off cleanly! Bonus unintended consequence was needing an explanation for the resultant limp at the party. Naturally I went with "Yeah, 4 guys (probably ninjas) jumped me in an alley, were talkin' smack 'bout ma woman, so I had to learn 'em a lesson" over "I stabbed myself cutting up a toy spaceship to make it more accurate".
Yeah but your leg will get better...a hull breach on the other hand...that's something you don't walk away from :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi guys, I'm new to the rpf and joined because I've been following this amazing thread for the last two months. I was inspired by all of you that I wanted to get back into modeling and tackle this very ambitious project of creating my own MF studio model. I just had one question (and embarrassingly silly one on my part) ....what size and type of screwdriver are you guys using to get the screws out of the deeper parts of the Falcon (i.e. the ones towards the bottom center of the ship near the gunwell)? The screwdriver I'm using seems to be too thick the further that it goes into the hole. I have a #2 Phillips and seems to be the right size for the screw itself but not sure what I should be looking for for a thinner screwdriver. Any help/advice would be appreciated.
I pretty much used a standard (Phillips) screw driver....kinda like the 1st one I grabbed... It's always a good idea to have a few of them. If your screwdriver don't fit right...its going to make your hand shed skin :) I wish I could give you an exact size, but I'm pretty useless in that department :)

Not sure on the size, my toolbox is just full of loose screwdrivers. If you don't have many, go to Walmart or any store like that and you should be able to get a pack of different size drivers for a few bucks.

Hey guys, new here and I have two things to say to you.

Firstly, you've all got me into trouble. I got moaned at for bringing home yet another thing that takes up space.

Secondly, thank you! I didn't know this Falcon existed until I found this thread. I was originally going for the Revell kit and a LOT of scratch building, but seeing the size and level of detail on the Hasbro release I changed my mind. That and that it only cost £29.99 at Argos. Picked it up today and realised a 25 year old dream of owning her - had to do the whole "it's not for me" act. I fell in love in nursery class with the original Kenner MF. It was in a worse state than the real thing but heck was she beautiful.

Run into a small problem. I want to get a couple of the DeAgostini mags so I can have those quad guns, but I can't seem to find them. Anyone else in the UK seeing low availability or is it just my town? They were all over the place like a plague last year, but now I need them they've vanished.

Thanks.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back