The RPF 2013 Halloween Costume Contest! JUDGED WINNERS ANNOUNCED

I know I'm gonna regret asking, but what's a sock?

It has several meanings but in this case it's a duplicate user account created solely for the purpose of hiding your true identity. It's a banning offense and not needed as I am actively seeking honest feedback in that other thread I started.

But let's move on from that. :)

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

Part of me understands the feeling of "but that person already won" but in all honesty I think it's actually fair that the judges vote means someone who won could still claim a second prize. The judges vote is kind of a "bonus" category the way I see it. Like Michael said, the judges pick was more supposed to be about balancing out if someone was able to "cheat but no one could prove it" or also balance out if a (technically speaking) weaker costume won because that person just happened to have a lot of faithful friends to vote for them. That way in those situations the judge vote would be for the actual costume that had what they considered to be the most work/effort/time and information put into it. If it so happens that it's the same costume everyone else voted for then so be it. In this case the costumes were quite exceptional so personally it doesn't bother me.

I still think the RPF needs more costume contests lol. I think so much hope gets put onto this one and it only happens once a year (obviously) so when someone looses dreams are dashed. DASHED I TELL YOU!!!! You wouldn't even have to have cash prizes. It could be that the "RPF Costumer of the year" gets like a front page banner for a while or something cool like that. But that's sort of a whole other beast probably hehehe.

Big congrats to the winners!!!!!!!

I liked the voting system very much. Our kids won the voted catagory with the sinister six, I think it was because nobody had seen a group of kids dressed like that before. But there was a lot of work put into the Halo costume and it looked GREAT... Credit where credit is due!

Congrats to everyone who caught the judges eyes :)

I was just chuffed to have been used on the advertising ;) Though of course unrecognisable- full face masks are great ;)

I still think the RPF needs more costume contests lol. I think so much hope gets put onto this one and it only happens once a year (obviously) so when someone looses dreams are dashed. DASHED I TELL YOU!!!! You wouldn't even have to have cash prizes. It could be that the "RPF Costumer of the year" gets like a front page banner for a while or something cool like that. But that's sort of a whole other beast probably hehehe.

Big congrats to the winners!!!!!!!

As much as the thought of doing this more than once a year terrifies me I'd love to hear your ideas for other costume contests. :)

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

I'll be honest, it's amazing that I won twice, but I'd love to give my second win over to someone else as I've already had the amazing opportunity. There are too many other amazing fabricators on here....they should have a chance too :).

The fact that someone appreciates my work is enough for me ;)!

Last edited:
As much as the thought of doing this more than once a year terrifies me I'd love to hear your ideas for other costume contests. :)

I also love this idea and think it would be great for the hobby!

Having contests in different genre would be interesting or type of material/media used - since it is difficult for people to judge between a HUGE armor costume compared to a hand made spiderman where they guy literally painted on every little design. Both are impressive for different reasons.

Also, since my 12 year old is going to age out of the kids contest, but he wants to work on his own and won't be competitive for many years unless I help him significantly. So, it might be nice to have, instead of a 'new to the board' a 'young costumer' contest to encourage the younger generations to get involved. like 13-14, 15-16, 17-18.

Then you'd have to have them prove age and all...

Another idea would be a fan film short contest, maybe just 2-3 minutes in costume. As controversial as the last contest was on the Heroes of Cosplay, the idea of bring theater into costuming really, really appeals to me.

And yeah, it wouldn't need to be a $$ prize, but something that would give recognition and give a platform for more people to see their work.

Also, since my 12 year old is going to age out of the kids contest, but he wants to work on his own and won't be competitive for many years unless I help him significantly. So, it might be nice to have, instead of a 'new to the board' a 'young costumer' contest to encourage the younger generations to get involved. like 13-14, 15-16, 17-18.

good idea!

im gonna go to the other post and make some idea comments

I also love this idea and think it would be great for the hobby!....

And yeah, it wouldn't need to be a $$ prize, but something that would give recognition and give a platform for more people to see their work.

Exactly! There are so many things that could be done on a larger or smaller scale that it probably seems endless but could also provide so much more opportunity. I think people are really in want of more participation and sometimes the build threads just don't do it because there are so many going on you can't view them all. But specific contests that highlight specific things could really boost views and participation all around on the RPF I think. Most of the time I don't want to win a costume contest for the prize money but because I want the exposure. I'll have to think of some ideas and then I'll post them in the other thread to have done to them what you will hehehehe.

To the judges, thank you for the honor. That was a surprise because I wasn't expecting to win anything.

Prior to entering this contest, my kids entered our local township costume contest. There were three categories: most original, most scary and most adorable. Guess what we won...nothing. Because there was no best costumes. How ironic that everywhere my kids went, we get "best costumes", "cool costumes" and "amazing costumes" comments and yet we did not win anything. So winning this is like having a cake and eat it. :)

Thank you for the recognition.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back