Any one good with circuits and electronics?

I do lots of Arduino based stuff..

not sure what you all have as far as hardware... but if you post a list of your hardware, and some ics of how it is currently set-up/soldered...

I'll take a look. :)

Thanks, I’ll get on that today in fortunately since photobucket decided to be greedy, I have no idea how to post pics anymore lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pic.jpg

There's no need for third party hosting. On the top bar, just click the symbol and upload your picture to TheRPF.

d0a3f3a143ec770ec94cc52a1423fd22.jpg

Best photo I grabbed before stripping it down, power options were either AAA battery pack or main power through the sound board I tried both, as I say I got the board powered up, and made sounds via headphone socket by bridging the ground and the activators but couldn’t get the remote to work or the sound via speakers. So I don’t know, list of parts:

Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board
USB battery pack
RF receiver momentary type
Keyfob RF remote control 4-button type
Breadboard
74HC04 hex inverter IC
0.1 μF capacitor
Amplifier 3.7w class D
Speaker.

Thanks guys :)

You have a large X through the Amp. If you are still using it you need to connect the top 2 pins to Voltage and Ground to power the Amp.

R+ on Amp goes to R on sound board.......... R- on Amp goes to Ground on sound board.
Then repeat steps for L+ and L-. Or ignore L completely if you're going MONO.

If you're NOT using the Amp, then ignore this. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
You have a large X through the Amp. If you are still using it you need to connect the top 2 pins to Voltage and Ground to power the Amp.

R+ on Amp goes to R on sound board.......... R- on Amp goes to Ground on sound board.
Then repeat steps for L+ and L-. Or ignore L completely if you're going MONO.

If you're NOT using the Amp, then ignore this. ;)

That’s great thanks, at least that’s one part sorted, I only had the X there because the placement wasn’t right :) still don’t know why the rest ain’t working :-(

The Adafruit sound board and amp are basically plug and play. As long as you connect up the right pins, everything should work.

The rest of the circuit is custom, and I can't see the third board's pins or labels for the pins. If someone helped design the circuit, you might need their help.

The Adafruit sound board and amp are basically plug and play. As long as you connect up the right pins, everything should work.

The rest of the circuit is custom, and I can't see the third board's pins or labels for the pins. If someone helped design the circuit, you might need their help.

It’s a basic design from Adafruit themselves it was in one of there pdfs and was just what I needed so I figured i would copy it.

fce8b2d4beb8a48ecfba6bc8a597fcfa.jpg

Clearly I haven't been following along close enough. I apologize. The green wires are coming out of the chip and going to pins 0 through 3 of the Triggers. This is normally where you'd attach switches. So, somehow the chip must choose which ONE pin 0 through 3 to send the trigger signal to. How is your board making that decision ? In sequence, one at a time, or randomly ? Or controlled by the user ?

Also, for future reference, if you only have to colors of wire, one should be the positive and one color should be the negative. This is for clarity.
Doesn't mean you're connected wrong....it just means it's harder for me to debug. :D

It looks as though you are using a 4 channel remote control to send a "trigger" signal to each of the 4 trigger inputs of the sound board,
and play 4 different sounds using the transmitter.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1096

Apparently, the signal out from the remote control receiver is the opposite polarity needed to trigger the sound board inputs, so it goes through the 74HC04 Hex inverter to invert the signal to the correct polarity, then to the trigger inputs. The inverter operates at 5v nominal.

https://www.technobotsonline.com/74hct04-hex-inverter.html

Before you plug the inverter into the breadboard, you can manual trigger the inputs of the sound board by hand (with a piece of wire) to see if the sound plays.
Not sure if you sound triggers on a HIGH or LOW signal.
It is possible the remote control puts out the opposite that is required. That's why the inverter is there.....

Last edited:
Clearly I haven't been following along close enough. I apologize. The green wires are coming out of the chip and going to pins 0 through 3 of the Triggers. This is normally where you'd attach switches. So, somehow the chip must choose which ONE pin 0 through 3 to send the trigger signal to. How is your board making that decision ? In sequence, one at a time, or randomly ? Or controlled by the user ?

As I say I’m clueless when it comes to Electronics I just followed the design as close as I could, so what ever it says on there is what I’m doing lol

https://learn.adafruit.com/audio-fx-remote-control

That’s the project I’m copying their is also a pdf on there to download which is the one I’m using.

As for the wires and their colours, I appreciate it is difficult to tell what’s going on, sorry, but to be fair i was expecting it to work fine lol :)

Thanks for your help

It looks as though you are using a 4 channel remote control to send a "trigger" signal to each of the 4 trigger inputs of the sound board,
and play 4 different sounds using the transmitter.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1096

Apparently, the signal out from the remote control receiver is the opposite polarity needed to trigger the sound board inputs, so it goes through the 74HC04 Hex inverter to invert the signal to the correct polarity, then to the trigger inputs. The inverter operates at 5v nominal.

https://www.technobotsonline.com/74hct04-hex-inverter.html

Before you plug the inverter into the breadboard, you can manual trigger the inputs of the sound board by hand (with a piece of wire) to see if the sound plays.
Not sure if you sound triggers on a HIGH or LOW signal.
It is possible the remote control puts out the opposite that is required. That's why the inverter is there.....

I’ve posted the link to what I’m using I don’t know if that will clear things up any? :)

First thing I noticed is that the wires from the 74HC04 are one pin off to the Adafruit sound board on your setup. This alone should keep the whole setup from working, it would just throw off the track you're playing by one I think. Pin 2 on your 74HC04 is going to port 4, not port 3 and so on, try shifting each wire down, starting with port 0 on the sound board to pin 12 on your 74HC04, port 1 to pin 10 on the "04", port 2 to pin 4 on the "04" and lastly port 3 to pin 2 on the "04". This alone should keep the whole setup from working, it would just throw off the track you're playing by one I think
Is this video close to what you're trying to do?

First thing I noticed is that the wires from the 74HC04 are one pin off to the Adafruit sound board on your setup. Pin 2 on your 74HC04 is going to port 4, not port 3 and so on, try shifting each wire down, starting with port 0 on the sound board to pin 12 on your 74HC04, port 1 to pin 10 on the "04", port 2 to pin 4 on the "04" and lastly port 3 to pin 2 on the "04".
Is this video close to what you're trying to do?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIliCJ4AFnI&t=123s

Thanks for the info, that video is pretty much exactly what I want :) the voice the flashing light and the control. Exactly that. Lol

The video is old and I've found cleaner ways to do the same effect, let me know if I can help...

Thanks, I’m sure there is better options available but as I say I have NO clue when it comes to electronics if I could find someone local to do it for me I would. I don’t understand anything electrical. I figured the parts I used from Adafruits pdf would do the trick but clearly it’s not as easy as I thought :-/

I just looked at the schematic and the amp on the sound board should work fine on their own and using a common ground is O.K. with this type of board unlike some I've used before.

Last edited:
The Adafruit sound board has a built-in amp and if it's anything like a lot of these hybrid amp, you "CAN NOT" tie the audio outputs "negative" from the sound board to the setup's ground as you did in your pictured setup, you'll short out and damage the amp. try your setup using the built-in amp on the sound board with individual wires to the speakers and see if that works.

Unfortunately the sound board I got doesn’t have an amp built in, it wasn’t ‘available’ when I came to purchase hence I had to buy a separate one. :-/

Then the external amp should work if wired correctly, can I ask a dumb question, is it doing anything or is the setup totally dead?:unsure

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back