1/2700 Star Destoyer on the kitchen table

gt350pony66

Master Member
Ok, well we'll try it this way. First thing...I have zero problem with anyone else building this kit or anything similar, posting what they are doing with it, in fact I welcome it. I want to see what others are doing. I know what I'm doing because I'm doing it, but I want to share and perhaps give others ideas, but more importantly, I'm interested in what others are doing that I haven't thought of.

I started this Russian Z ISD about a month ago so I'll put up some past pics and try to work my way up to the present. ISD1.jpegISD3.jpegI'm using .25mm FO for this thinking I could do twice as much lighting and figured it would be more to scale than .50mm. I've drilled a lot of holes, nearly 800 I estimate. I installed the upgrade hangar bay from Falcon3D and also have their engine bells. I'm using Citadel white primer for the primary paint and a light spritz of water based black/gray wash, didn't want it too dark and have the panel lines jumping out at me.ISD15.jpeg

here is as of last night, the lower hull is essentially done except for the engine panel which I've realized I was out of blue LED's. I tried the flicker blues and have decided against it. So I'll start on the upper next. The tower is ready to go but that will be installed later. I estimate I've got nearly 400 or so FO in the lower hull. I'm satisfied with the results. I also acquired a squadron of 30 tie fighters, a couple of shuttles and what was supposed to be 3 variants of the Slave 1, but there was 4, 3 are in flight and one landed. of course one of those will go in the garbage chute, also a Falcon3D piece, the afore mentioned items are Shapeways. I had intended on using the landed shuttle in the secondary hangar, inside the larger one, but the wings are too tall so I'll have to figure something out. I plan to leave rows of the Ties on the upper sprue rail and hang some on the larger hanger. The tiny Falcon in the above post is also a Shapeways piece.SD21.jpegSD22.jpegSD23.jpegSD24.jpegSD25.jpegSD26.jpegSD27.jpegthe stand is something I found on Ebay, as the ones that come with the kit are insufficient for lighting displayISD stand1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

sorry for the "post after post" here, I'm playing catch up...

I've been following your build, and its incredible! What kind of drill bits are you using? I have tried a few different types of .35mm bits and have broken about 15 of them at this point (some are even stuck in my model...)

I'm not sure of the brand but I can find out as I'm going to my hobby shop today for some stuff. They were in a small metal drill index box I got at the shop. pretty sure the one I'm using currently is the .35', the set came with like 3 each of the smallest ones. I was using a pin vise stuck in the end of my Makita cordless...got a little heavy and I broke a bit about the 10th hole. then I figured out the right speed. I've since bought a Tamiya hobby drill, the ones you have to assemble...but I bought the tan one as it drills at a faster speed than the common blue one. I tested the blue one at the model show where I got the tan one, too slow. the collet was too small, but I bought a Dremmel collet set at home depot that has a zero space collet when fully closed. been working great and haven't broken anymore bits since that one. just lucky I'd guess. I'm sure my guy has replenished his stock since I got the bit set, so I'll see what brand they were...I dumped all mine in a small plastic tube and tossed the little metal box they came in :wacko
I've been following your build, and its incredible! What kind of drill bits are you using? I have tried a few different types of .35mm bits and have broken about 15 of them at this point (some are even stuck in my model...)

- - - Updated - - -

by the way, thanks for the comps, this is by far the biggest lighting project I've done so far. Do share pics of yours, I love seeing other folks stuff too! :thumbsup

Nice work so far.

I'll give you the same feedback as I have given others: You might consider using warm white leds for the windows, as it better reproduces the incandescent lights of the 70s and 80s. I do like the lighting that you have given the hanger bays. Is it the exposure that is making it look so bright in the distance shots? It looks great in the close-ups.

I guess I should also mention, I'm cutting 12" sections of the FO, and blooming the ends with the soldering iron, string a cluster in place, then secure with Laser Bond...as seen on TV. Some of the tiny areas looked to be prohibitive of the other method of leaving them sticking out, paint, then cut. Harder doing it the way I am, but I'm ok with it.

Thanks for the info! I have the blue Tamiya drill, may need to look at getting the tan one. I also have that Dremel collet that makes things so much easier :)

Haven't started on my SD yet, I'm actually working on the Revell Venator kit from a few years back. The SD is next on my list though!

Thanks! I know you're probably right on the warm white...I just have so many of the bright ones to use up. I considered adding a resistor to drag down the brightness. But you're right about the exposure, I have an Iphone S, same size as a 5, camera isn't that great. but looking at it in person, and not a photo, it's not as bright as the pics.
Nice work so far.

I'll give you the same feedback as I have given others: You might consider using warm white leds for the windows, as it better reproduces the incandescent lights of the 70s and 80s. I do like the lighting that you have given the hanger bays. Is it the exposure that is making it look so bright in the distance shots? It looks great in the close-ups.

Great build!!

Since you are mushrooming the FO ends did you paint it already?

I just started my own and have drilled out all the holes and frankly don't want to cut all the FO ends off especially in the crevices where it will be very hard to get a nice flush cut. I test fitted the ship and lit the interior up with a flashlight shinning through from the back and light shines through all the holes very evenly. I spent a lot of time drilling and cleaning out each hole so no leftover debris in the holes block any light. I may just lay warm white strips inside the interior and fill the holes with micro-crystal clear and doing some FO for any holes that will shine red.

I was thinking about mushrooming the FO but then how do you cover them up to paint unless you paint before and assemble later. You still would have the seams to fix and light block

I guess I should also mention, I'm cutting 12" sections of the FO, and blooming the ends with the soldering iron, string a cluster in place, then secure with Laser Bond...as seen on TV. Some of the tiny areas looked to be prohibitive of the other method of leaving them sticking out, paint, then cut. Harder doing it the way I am, but I'm ok with it.

Thank you my friend, most kind...yeah, I semi assembled, then drilled, then painted, then washed...then strung the FO. lots of work yes, but it's turning out ok so far and I'd hate for a build to go by too fast. I've got a few reds in mine as well, just a few strategic places that will flash to liven it up, around the hangar, a couple in the trenches and the sides of the tower...hazard lighting for shuttles and tie fighters buzzing around.

That's what I thought too, a guy would have to have some tiny tip surgical scissors to get into some of those tight areas. then you risk scratching the finish with the scissors...or at least I would :facepalm I've never tried the way you're talking about, that sounds interesting. I think I'd read that where you posted it on another thread as well. I may well have to try that on a future project. I'd like to see some pics of that if you'd care to post some. Way back in the day, I used thin styrene sheet over holes, then placed enough lighting so it was even. talk about ancient methods...middle 80's and early 90's. I did a Titanic that way, and it turned out well. I've just started lighting again in the last year or so and it's the first time I'd ever used FO or LED. back in the old days I was using cut down X-mas light strands and you had to be careful not to melt anything with 'em!
Great build!!

Since you are mushrooming the FO ends did you paint it already?

I just started my own and have drilled out all the holes and frankly don't want to cut all the FO ends off especially in the crevices where it will be very hard to get a nice flush cut. I test fitted the ship and lit the interior up with a flashlight shinning through from the back and light shines through all the holes very evenly. I spent a lot of time drilling and cleaning out each hole so no leftover debris in the holes block any light. I may just lay warm white strips inside the interior and fill the holes with micro-crystal clear and doing some FO for any holes that will shine red.

I was thinking about mushrooming the FO but then how do you cover them up to paint unless you paint before and assemble later. You still would have the seams to fix and light block

Thanks!
I suppose it isn't too late to change it...I'll think on that one. You know for my engines, last night I tried my sand the white LED rough, and colored it with blue sharpie...but I didn't think it was blue enough...perhaps I've already got something sufficient? it had an ever so slight blue hue to it. I think I'll wire those up tonight, stick 'em and see what it looks like. then post a pic for you guys to consider the results.:thumbsup
Its coming along nicely

I'l echo the sentiment of using warm white for the windows and hangar etc.

Also I would stay away from blues for the engine. Cool whites would be better

I picked up some cool white flickering LEDs from here for my build
https://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/flickering-led.html

I ran over there at lunch, he didn't have any in stock but said it was these, Excel, like the other hobby tools...seems like they were 10-15 bucks but like I said, I've only broke the one...hang on...gotta log off and back on, it won't load the pic :angry
Thanks for the info! I have the blue Tamiya drill, may need to look at getting the tan one. I also have that Dremel collet that makes things so much easier :)

Haven't started on my SD yet, I'm actually working on the Revell Venator kit from a few years back. The SD is next on my list though!

- - - Updated - - -

drill bits.jpg

Thanks!
I suppose it isn't too late to change it...I'll think on that one. You know for my engines, last night I tried my sand the white LED rough, and colored it with blue sharpie...but I didn't think it was blue enough...perhaps I've already got something sufficient? it had an ever so slight blue hue to it. I think I'll wire those up tonight, stick 'em and see what it looks like. then post a pic for you guys to consider the results.:thumbsup

Its funny how when I made mine blue a crop of Star Wars experts started the argument that the engines were never blue in ANY of the movies. Well this is a screen shot from Rogue One:

20170430_002437 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

20170430_002421 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

Whada u know? Look....they look blue in some of the shots. Do them either blue or warm, but choose what ever YOU like. In my case blue looked less boring and they happen to be screen correct. :D

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back