NEW STAR WARS: ROGUE ONE TOYS REVEALED / U-Wing & Tie Striker

Pcoz

For those who haven't seen these. What are your thoughts ? Any future Toy Mods ?

Full article here:

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-rogue-one-toys-images/

Rogue One Rebel U-Wing

Rogue-One-Rebel-U-wing-action-figure.jpeg
Rogue One TIE Striker
Rogue-One-TIE-Striker-action-figure.jpeg

Last edited:
Re: NEW STAR WARS: ROGUE ONE TOYS REVEALED / U-Wing & Tie Striker

I like the U-wing.

Except isn't it in the landing position on the front of the box?

- - - Updated - - -

I would also love it if they made some playsets. They didn't make a single one for TFA

they look like more boring variations on traditional designs....just like in force awakens.
sorry for sounding negative but this is disappointing.
still looking forward to seeing the film!!

they look like more boring variations on traditional designs....just like in force awakens.
sorry for sounding negative but this is disappointing.
still looking forward to seeing the film!!
I would really like the U wing if the wings were a third shorter

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

The tie striker MAY be the worst star wars vehicle of all time.

Mind you, general leia's flying hallway from TFA was pretty bad.

Remember the Lucas era? When there were amazing spacecraft everywhere? Ships that were barely there seemed to hold some back story. Things like the rebel transport. Or the tie bomber. Even the stuff from the prequels always added to the history of the galaxy.

But this stuff is derivative garbage. I think the U wing is the only thing I'm gravitating towards. But even that seems like charity

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I don't like either of them.

X Wings and Tie's from ANH, look somewhat functional and mechanical, these look like they were wind tunnel tested and are the sports car versions of ANH X and T:lol

The problem is that back in 1977, modellers had to kit bash with real model kits to replicate a hand drawing...now they design everything in a PC, push a button and out spews this garbage.:facepalm

the tie striker look like someone stepped on a tie interceptor and squashed it.

it's not so much the technology driving the design it's poor design outright and directors accepting this with out pushing for something better or unique.

back in '75 the designers were imaginative and fearless.the model makers built to these designs and kitbashing was done most times after the fact to enhance design and give scale.

concept designers using computers today have less limitations and should really be pushing the envelope.

I don't really know how much fault should be given to the designers / model makers. The problem I have with these designs is that to me, they feel like early concepts. Some good ideas, but not taken where they need to go.

The thing is, love or hate what Lucas did with the prequels, one thing can be said about the man: He had a great sense for what made not only a good design, but a good design that fit within the Star Wars world. He was notorious for rejecting concepts, even good ones, if they didn't fit HIS agenda.

I just feel like the drivers behind new films just don't have the vision Lucas did for how things should look. They get to a place where it's close enough and they accept it because they see the superficial Star Wars details, and don't know to push the designers to take it just *that* much farther.

"Any future Toy Mods?"

The Nerf design in combination with the plastic they use make mods to a nice display piece difficult. Older Hasbro toys like the big Slave 1, Lambda Shuttle and the Ties for example provide a perfect base and scale, but the recent releases are just basic, cheap toys, and in my opinion also based on poor designs. They should stop recycling OT designs (in a bad way) and come up with new, original ideas for the Star Wars Universe.

"Any future Toy Mods?"

The Nerf design in combination with the plastic they use make mods to a nice display piece difficult. Older Hasbro toys like the big Slave 1, Lambda Shuttle and the Ties for example provide a perfect base and scale, but the recent releases are just basic, cheap toys, and in my opinion also based on poor designs. They should stop recycling OT designs (in a bad way) and come up with new, original ideas for the Star Wars Universe.

Omg, I didn't even see the Nerf dart until your post !

I think the designs are definitely lacking.

The challenge is to keep in the old school Star Wars styling but create something "NEW". It's not an easy task for sure. I kind of relate it to when someone asks me for a tattoo design. They'll want a chicken, some flames, and then a monogram....:facepalm Sometimes you just need to start with fresh concepts.

To quote Luke Sky Walker "what a piece of junk."

Considering Rogue One is set immediately before ANH, one would think that TIE fighters would be the same. If not, weren't the best of the best stationed on the Death Star ? If so, this new TIE design must have failed the muster.

The tie striker MAY be the worst star wars vehicle of all time.

Mind you, general leia's flying hallway from TFA was pretty bad.

Remember the Lucas era? When there were amazing spacecraft everywhere? Ships that were barely there seemed to hold some back story. Things like the rebel transport. Or the tie bomber. Even the stuff from the prequels always added to the history of the galaxy.

But this stuff is derivative garbage. I think the U wing is the only thing I'm gravitating towards. But even that seems like charity

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Oh come on now, you are forgetting the Jedi Starfighter. It had an Astromech but had to use Time Lord technology, because there wasn't room in the arrowhead to store the droid :D.

Re: NEW STAR WARS: ROGUE ONE TOYS REVEALED / U-Wing & Tie Striker

The one positive that I can say about the TIE Striker (I like to think of myself as an optimistic fan) is that the general configuration is a bit of a callback to the ROTS Jedi starfighter. So I'm okay putting it into the TIE evolutionary progression between the Jedi starfighter and the standard TIE.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh come on now, you are forgetting the Jedi Starfighter. It had an Astromech but had to use Time Lord technology, because there wasn't room in the arrowhead to store the droid :D.

Now, to be fair, the Millennium Falcon, X-Wing and many other OT vehicles also used Time Lord technology.

One thing to remember is that these are atmospheric vehicles; the U-Wing being a swing-wing craft looks to be at least giving the impression of using that for aerodynamic use (though not on the box). The TIE Striker, if played properly, could articulate its wings in a fashion to - again, give the impression - of creating drag to turn in that environment. It looks like a marginal rehash, but it could come off as genius if done properly (although I have a bad feeling that they're only going to pivot up and down instead of around a center point causing the front of the wings to "dip").

To quote Luke Sky Walker "what a piece of junk."

Considering Rogue One is set immediately before ANH, one would think that TIE fighters would be the same. If not, weren't the best of the best stationed on the Death Star ? If so, this new TIE design must have failed the muster.
The TIE/Striker is a planet based atmospheric fighter- it would not have been assigned to the Death Star. The Space Based TIEs are OK in the atmosphere, but this one was designed to perform better. That all out of the way I do not care for it much myself. If they had done something novel with the wings instead of giving us half an Interceptor- I suspect there will be a number of great kit bashes improving on this design.

What is it with the craving for giant wings with the new designs?- Ren's shuttle in TFA looked ridiculous and the now we have both the U-Wing and the new shuttle in Rogue One that has a pyramid shaped body doing the same thing. I do feel a little better seeing that the U-Wing's do move to a swept back position, but still, it over powers the design. It has been long established that in the Star Wars universe wings are not necessary for flight. Some craft do have them, but they are more wing-like structures which have another purpose. Now the wings seem to be used for overly dramatic accents to a ship- the bigger they are the better they are assumed to make the ship look. IMO it is just lazy design- the hull shape should embody strength and attitude by itself.

One thing to remember is that these are atmospheric vehicles; the U-Wing being a swing-wing craft looks to be at least giving the impression of using that for aerodynamic use (though not on the box). The TIE Striker, if played properly, could articulate its wings in a fashion to - again, give the impression - of creating drag to turn in that environment. It looks like a marginal rehash, but it could come off as genius if done properly (although I have a bad feeling that they're only going to pivot up and down instead of around a center point causing the front of the wings to "dip").

Yes, I could see the Tie Striker coming in for a landing and the wings folding upwards to some degree, if not completely straight up. We'll see....

Also, I'm probably done with the toy mods since the plastic and scale issues seem to be more of a curse and stick to scratch building from now on.

I don't mind the idea of the striker having folding wings, but they look so flimsy. Like some kid made a kit-bash.

Mind you, it would be awesome if the wings could move on their own on the toy

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

The u-wing is cool,but I agree with astroboy, it would be cooler if they made the playsets for rogue one, and force awakens like with the other 6 films.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back