Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question

After looking at a ton of reference pics, I believe I have replicated the Left Hand ring pretty darn accurately. I did a test print on my ROBO 3D printer and it looks awesome. I intend on getting them printed on Shapeways.com so they can be metal. Here's the link if you want to check it out, and screen grabs of my model.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ECV8RC2NB/doctor-strange-ring-left?optionId=60037219

Ring.jpg

Hey all, I had another thread about this, but I didn't link the photos, so I think I'm gonna roll all my updates over here. For me I think it is way easier to start with the props and work backward toward the sewing part. I think it's a motivation thing. So NATURALLY I started with the very flashy eye of Agamotto. I attempted in sculpey...
Sculpey version.jpg
It didn't go well. I think I overestimated my sculpting skills. I can do tiny things, but I went with a 5 inch corner to corner measurement. I was going to do wire work across the iris, but I couldn't get it to sit right. SO, I hit up one of my friends in the Maine Ghostbusters for advice and the guy went directly to 3D printing it for me, and for FREE. He ended up printing it 3 TIMES to get a version he liked.
raw print.jpg
Here's the raw first print. (he's holding it upside down, but hey) He mailed it to me the day after, and I got it the following day and have been playing with it ever sense.At his suggestion, I started using bondo spot filler to smooth out the print lines.
bondo stage.jpg
This is where I currently sit. I may need to hit him up for the clips too. Otherwise, I'm gonna try those in sculpey... we'll see how that goes.

After looking at a ton of reference pics, I believe I have replicated the Left Hand ring pretty darn accurately. I did a test print on my ROBO 3D printer and it looks awesome. I intend on getting them printed on Shapeways.com so they can be metal. Here's the link if you want to check it out, and screen grabs of my model.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ECV8RC2NB/doctor-strange-ring-left?optionId=60037219

View attachment 631577

One feedback is the lack of gap between the 2 but otherwise awesome :)

Thanks for the feedback!

I did that for support issues. It said it was too thin for metal. Sadly it lessens the "screen accuracy" which really annoys me.

I made another model! :D

This time it's a "stamp" meant for embossing. I have no idea if my plan will work out but here is the model.

On the cape, there is a repeating pattern on the sides.

Benedict-Cumberbatch-in-New-York-City-doctor-strange-2016-39457340.png

I've tried to replicate it so hopefully it will be in the right ballpark. You can emboss fabric just like you can paper. I plan on using a metallic red embossing powder with either red or clear ink. I'll use the stamp to get the detail, toss the powder on, and then hit it with a heat gun.

I'm still searching for cape fabric. I haven't had luck yet.

As for the darker "kite shapes" I fear I'll have to darken those by hand. With this model, there is a slight overlap each time you repeat the pattern, but it shouldn't be too terrible.

cape.jpg

I've done a test print at 200 microns and it seems like it will work nicely. You can either order it from Shapeways or Download it from the link. I turned on "downloadable". I'm not sure why it says that some parts have "thickness issues". Even at 200 microns I got most of the tiny squares printed perfectly. If I had done 100, nothing would be lost. Surely they print at a higher resolution than my Robo 3D, haha

https://www.shapeways.com/product/H...pe-stamp?key=d2cb3a85e25a15cd966950fddaad63d8

I think you are on the right track with the embossing. The cape seems to be a patchwork of red herring bone and embossed fabrics (likely velvet) in alternating patterns. if you look at the below, the lighter parts of the fabric square look like embossed Xs. It might be useful to make a similar 3d model plate with raised Xs that you can iron into velvet.

g7hs3HS.jpg

Thanks for the feedback!

I did that for support issues. It said it was too thin for metal. Sadly it lessens the "screen accuracy" which really annoys me.

I made another model! :D

This time it's a "stamp" meant for embossing. I have no idea if my plan will work out but here is the model.

On the cape, there is a repeating pattern on the sides.

View attachment 632569

I've tried to replicate it so hopefully it will be in the right ballpark. You can emboss fabric just like you can paper. I plan on using a metallic red embossing powder with either red or clear ink. I'll use the stamp to get the detail, toss the powder on, and then hit it with a heat gun.

I'm still searching for cape fabric. I haven't had luck yet.

As for the darker "kite shapes" I fear I'll have to darken those by hand. With this model, there is a slight overlap each time you repeat the pattern, but it shouldn't be too terrible.

View attachment 632570

I've done a test print at 200 microns and it seems like it will work nicely. You can either order it from Shapeways or Download it from the link. I turned on "downloadable". I'm not sure why it says that some parts have "thickness issues". Even at 200 microns I got most of the tiny squares printed perfectly. If I had done 100, nothing would be lost. Surely they print at a higher resolution than my Robo 3D, haha

https://www.shapeways.com/product/H...pe-stamp?key=d2cb3a85e25a15cd966950fddaad63d8

Looks good!
Just be aware that if you are using 3D printed embossing, the 3D printing material has a standard melting temperature of about that of an iron.
Don't melt your templates!

Also if you do a template for the cloak pattern, please upload that also :)

Thanks for the input. I'll probably make those pieces later tonight (7pm here).

I'll probably mold and then cast the piece into a higher heat threshold resin. I think Smooth-Cast 300 and 325 can be heated reasonable high enough.

I haven't had a whole lot of luck finding a perfect blue fabric. I found some linen that is pretty darn close in color from Fabric.com. This is after looking at pretty much the entire website. I also looked through Etsy and Joann's.

Large_0338257.jpg

https://www.fabric.com/buy/0338257/european-100-linen-pacific-blue

I also found a really nice cape fabric. This one is Twill.
https://www.fabric.com/buy/0391376/crease-resistant-saxtwill-burgundy

Large_0391376.jpg

Both fabrics are listed as "medium weight" so they should drape nicely and retain their body.

I don't think the entire "red" part of the cape is actually twill. The finished edges / trim looks more like suede / micro velvet.

So now I'll look for a close-as-possible match for the burgundy twill.

Benedict-Cumberbatch-in-New-York-City-doctor-strange-2016-39457340.png

This is fantastic! Though in the diagram, "Plain fabric" makes me cringe. lol

Marvel likes their "brick" patterns. TASM 2, Netflix: Daredevil, etc.

I'll see about adding the brick because it looks like their pattern is missing the ugly random gradient splotches.

Unless of course you stain it post, instead of just printing it that way.

I hope you guys get better quickly!

Last edited:
I don't, and I have a great deal of pics.

Here is where I'm at with the Cape print. It's a LOT more accurate than the one I made before, and free for everyone to use. Any input is welcome!
The picture is an example, the link is the full image.

It is 72 inches by 56 inches. I plan on printing it on Cotton Sateen at FabricOnDemand.com

example.jpg

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3J6vajd9j1wbG1iZDVsSVJZV0k/view?usp=sharing

EDIT!
I have a more accurate version uploading to Google Drive.
The new texture is tilted into "diamond shapes" so you can cut out the cape as one solid piece. There is left over space so the second link has the "ugly squares" that are colored differently on the cape. Meant for adding the "patches" wherever you see fit.

example.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't order the fabrics I listed from Fabric.com.

I got everything in today and the colors are completely wrong. :(

The linen looks like periwinkle :'(

Google Drive is still uploading. I guess I'm having internet problems.

I think you are on the right track with the embossing. The cape seems to be a patchwork of red herring bone and embossed fabrics (likely velvet) in alternating patterns. if you look at the below, the lighter parts of the fabric square look like embossed Xs. It might be useful to make a similar 3d model plate with raised Xs that you can iron into velvet.

http://i.imgur.com/g7hs3HS.jpg

Is it just me or does it appear that the panels of the cape are cut along the bias? Just below the yellow marker there it looks like the (herringbone?) is at a diagonal. I could see this being easier to draft a pattern from and might lend a distinctive flow to the cape.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back