Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release) (Spoilers)

LOL... That was funny.... might have been better if they called it The Luke Awakens! Loved him riding on top of the Tie Fighter and peaking over the shoulder of Kylo in that! Funny stuff!

That was kinda my point. From the audience POV, we know all about the Jedi, Sith, Emperor, etc..

The characters in the universe seem to only know about the Jedi, since that was what the Jedi put out there. Luke really only knew what he was told by the surviving prequel characters, & he had pretty good reason to question the validity of anything, since it all came from the perspective of the character telling him the info.

The general universe knew Vader as a BA Jedi hunter that had worked his way through the ranks up to the Emperor's right hand man. This based on the OT's treatment of the doubts about the Force & Jedi.

I guess my point is this-

We, as the general audience, know more of Vader's history than the general SW universe, Including his kids. So, other thank purging the Jedi, what else could he have not 'finished'? If Kylo was who the spoilers said he is, he'd have a reason to want to continue a systematic destruction of all those who either are, or could become Jedi.

That make sense?

It does, although Kylo's specific motivation remains nebulous at this point. Is he being influenced by Snoke or his association with the Knights of Ren? I het the impression "I will finish what you started" has more to do with Vader's vision for the galaxy as opposed to the Empire's. I think there is a distinction between the two.

I grew up with SW OT in a hard time when Romania was under Communist and Soviet rule (70's and 80's). I watched ANH and ESB on cinema, but ROTJ had to watch on a friend's VHS player since Ceausescu (the Communist leader/president) didn't allow it to run on cinemas (you wonder why LOL). Before 1990 there were hard times in this part of the world, and Star Wars was like a light tower of freedom for people here, especially for children who watched it. Of course there were no SW toys to be found in the Eastern Block, but even so I considered SW an inspiration, a way to make people forget about their everyday problems.

I remember one day coming from school with two friends (I was about 9-10 back then if remember correctly), and we've seen a new BMW car parked near the school. Since it was a different car that the ones we were used seeing every day we got near it and looked inside. On one of the doors there was a bumper sticker with Vader fighting with Luke with their lightsabers, we stood there for half an hour looking at it and remembering scenes from the movie. The car was still there for about 3 weeks - seems it was a German from Western Germany (the non-Communist Germany, from across the Wall) who came in visit to a house in our city...

SW had that kind of magic that helped you survive in the tough world and learn that there could be something better out there.

Dude that is such a great story. I feel for you having it so hard back then.

Ben

That was kinda my point. From the audience POV, we know all about the Jedi, Sith, Emperor, etc..

The characters in the universe seem to only know about the Jedi, since that was what the Jedi put out there. Luke really only knew what he was told by the surviving prequel characters, & he had pretty good reason to question the validity of anything, since it all came from the perspective of the character telling him the info.

The general universe knew Vader as a BA Jedi hunter that had worked his way through the ranks up to the Emperor's right hand man. This based on the OT's treatment of the doubts about the Force & Jedi.

I guess my point is this-

We, as the general audience, know more of Vader's history than the general SW universe, Including his kids. So, other thank purging the Jedi, what else could he have not 'finished'? If Kylo was who the spoilers said he is, he'd have a reason to want to continue a systematic destruction of all those who either are, or could become Jedi.

That make sense?

You mean, the Imperial military knows Vader as a BA Jedi hunter, we have no idea of just how much the general (in universe) public knows about Vader, if they even know he exists at all beyond a rumor, like a boogey man. I don't what the EU books and comics have shown or mentioned but there's nothing in the movies that have shown that Vader is a public figure of any kind, of course, there's very little shown of how the Empire is perceived in general outside the POV of the Rebels and the Imperial military. Although, if you accept the added scenes to the end of RotJ it made it seem that the Empire, and by extension the Emperor, were not that well loved by the general populace.

It does, although Kylo's specific motivation remains nebulous at this point. Is he being influenced by Snoke or his association with the Knights of Ren? I het the impression "I will finish what you started" has more to do with Vader's vision for the galaxy as opposed to the Empire's. I think there is a distinction between the two.

Great point.

I hadn't even considered that Anakin's view of the Galaxy would influence Vader's. Plus, from what we've seen on-screen, Vader looked to Palpatine as a master, just like he did Kenobi. Palpatine wasn't really interested in the day-to-day running of the Galaxy, he just was happy to have the Sith in power, even if it was from behind the scenes. The cruelty the Empire became synonymous with, came more from the regional rulers who were left to do as they pleased.

Now that I look at it from that perspective, It seems that Vader was right there with Palpatine, all for the greater good of order, until he decided to destroy Luke. Palpatine was THE master manipulator, & I think if Luke had turned & was ordered to kill Vader, then behind the mask, Vader would haave had the same look as Dooku when Anakin was ordered to kill him.

Palpatine was satisfied with power & Vader was satisfied with 'peace'. Both saw the Rebellion as a danger to their ideals.

Great point.

I hadn't even considered that Anakin's view of the Galaxy would influence Vader's. Plus, from what we've seen on-screen, Vader looked to Palpatine as a master, just like he did Kenobi. Palpatine wasn't really interested in the day-to-day running of the Galaxy, he just was happy to have the Sith in power, even if it was from behind the scenes. The cruelty the Empire became synonymous with, came more from the regional rulers who were left to do as they pleased.

Now that I look at it from that perspective, It seems that Vader was right there with Palpatine, all for the greater good of order, until he decided to destroy Luke. Palpatine was THE master manipulator, & I think if Luke had turned & was ordered to kill Vader, then behind the mask, Vader would haave had the same look as Dooku when Anakin was ordered to kill him.

Palpatine was satisfied with power & Vader was satisfied with 'peace'. Both saw the Rebellion as a danger to their ideals.

Yeah I think Anakin was obsessed with stability and peace by any means. I think Kylo is embracing that concept and the First Order is Snoke's spinoff of the Imperial renanant with this goal in mind.

Part of why I'm re-editing all the extant footage out there without sound (the other part being I don't want to fuss with the audio being jarringly out of sync). See how it looks with potentially-misleading bits of dialogue removed.

Hey, Bryancd, have you been reading the comics at all? Specifically Shattered Empire?

--Jonah

Last edited by a moderator:
Part of why I'm re-editing all the extant footage out there without sound (the other part being I don't want to fuss with the audio being jarringly out of sync). See how it looks with potentially-misleading bits of dialogue removed.

Hey, @Bryancd, have you been reading the comics at all? Specifically Shattered Empire?

--Jonah

You bet, all of them and the books!

I know this forum has a lot of “militant purists” where nothing outside the original unaltered films (With ROTJ not quite accepted either) will probably ever be accepted unless you guys are given approval over everything from the screenplay, filming techniques, etc. Some are so dogmatic they think their opinion is absolute science to what a “good” SW movie is. As if there is absolute scientific standard to what makes a film good or bad. It’s art, it’s subjective opinion. They could let you in on the creative process and approval and give you everything you want, truth told, no MATTER what they do, or whomever else does with a SW movie, there will always be people on forums here or somewhere griping about what was done “wrong”. Never can they make EVERYONE happy.

^ True. At the same time, there's... an established range, I suppose, for lack of better terminology, for how to craft any given idea into a story, and any given story into a script, and so on. The pacing, the beats, how long to spend establishing the old status quo before "something happens" to launch the protagonist on their arc, how long to develop the complexity of the challenge, where to put the twist, how long after the climax to spend on the coda and establishing the new status quo, etc. There's only so long you can go with any portion of that, with a film, before the audience gets bored. Conversely, if not enough time is spent on each of those beats, the audience can too easily be lost. Good filmmakers can keep an audience's interest for any length of time.

All of that, though, depends on so much. Production design (sets and costumes and props and so forth), cinematography (the visual "style" of the film, from color saturation to aspect ratio to shot and scene changes, etc.), writing, acting, directing, editing... And here's where I think the fans and armchair filmmakers have a legitimate gripe. Early on, George understood his weaknesses and shored them up with people who were strong in those areas. That changed after Empire. Also, throughout, he's said he got into movies because he loves editing and the ability that gives one to control what the audience sees and how fast they experience it. I honestly think if he'd gotten a good director (or directors) for the Prequels, and for those and ROTJ had turned them loose to generate several hundred alternate takes and camera angles and focal lengths and so forth of any given shot, he'd have possibly made some really nice finished films. The problems crept in when he tackled more of the writing (which he acknowledges he isn't good at and doesn't like to do) and directing (which he acknowledges he isn't good at and doesn't like to do). But he felt all of that was necessary to control the raw material he got in the editing booth.

He had some really great initial ideas. When those got refined into the scripts for Star Wars and Empire, with assistance from others who are better at turning ideas into stories than he, we ended up with some really good results. But when he started having to do all of it himself (and I count hiring people who won't really ever disagree with him as "doing it himself"), it became much more scattershot -- a string of vignettes, rather than an organic narrative...

I can't speak for others, but I've spent a large portion of my life studying storytelling, learning how to not write badly by trial and much error, and making it a decent way through film school before money became an insurmountable obstacle. So while yes, ultimately, it is a very subjective thing, I think I have a ballpark notion of what that thing might be. At a sort of "put up or shut up" request, I've been re-transcribing my rewrites of everything post-Empire (the four films that were to have followed from the Adventures of Luke Skywalker, and the six films that would have gone back and told the beginning of the saga, from the Adventures of Obi-Wan Kenobi), going by what I'd been able to glean from George's notes and interviews through the '80s and '90s, and incorporating some of the more organic elements from the Prequels, Special Editions, and Expanded Universe. I think it says much that everyone who's seen those treatments/scripts (as the particular case may be) have found them substantially better than the last four films we got. [Side note: Sorry it's taking me so long to get these into my new computer. Real Life does unfortunately take precedence...]

All of which means I do think I've learned a bit about good and bad storytelling, how to craft a structurally sound film, and -- most germane -- how to do a good Star Wars movie. I try to avoid Lucas-bashing (well... George-bashing, anyway -- Katie Lucas, on the other hand...), I try to give a more well-rounded critique of the Prequels beyond "they suck", and all evolving out of a decade-and-a-half-long introspection into what felt "off" to me when I first saw ROTJ in the theater. I also am not pre-emptively ranting about what's wrong with TFA or saying what JJ and Company should or should not be doing. I've read the interviews and listened to them and the actors talk about the film and I have a strong feeling they know what they're doing. After it opens, and I see it at least once, I'm going to start digging for making-of and behind-the-scenes books and magazines and featurettes to better understand the whys and wherefores of whatever they end up doing and not doing. Then I might start second-guessing some of their choices. But not before. :p

Meanwhile... seelsa73, if you don't want spoilers, you're in the wrong thread. I don't get how you don't mind spoilers for the main event, but the ancillary material is no-go territory for you. :behave Hurry up and read 3 and 4, darn it -- they've been out for days!

--Jonah

Meanwhile... @seelsa73, if you don't want spoilers, you're in the wrong thread. I don't get how you don't mind spoilers for the main event, but the ancillary material is no-go territory for you. :behave Hurry up and read 3 and 4, darn it -- they've been out for days!

--Jonah

I was mostly joking about that, but in my defense, this is a TFA spoiler thread, not an "all things Star Wars" spoiler thread. And I tried grabbing them over the weekend, but my comic shop didn't have them in stock. I suppose I could have ran across the street to Comix Zone, but I prefer to get mine from my mom and pop's comic shop (say that 5 times fast).

I don't get it... Luke tries to get the Jedi restarted, it ends horrifically, and he has PTSD from it is "dumb"? Dumber than the way the Force-users acted and the government reacted in the Jedi Academy Trilogy or Fate of the Jedi?

--Jonah

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back