Solo: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

What did you think of Solo: A Star Wars Story?

• Total voters
Strangest thing about Solo, IMHO, is that it's actually a pretty good movie.
Who is really surprised? This film suffered from underdeveloped characters, and many missed opportunities. The storyline fell flat and didn’t prompt an emotional response. The whole film came off as unimportant and average

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Strangest thing about Solo, IMHO, is that it's actually a pretty good movie.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sure, on the surface Solo seems right up a Star Wars fans alley. If DIsney was to create a checklist of what fans like in their entertainment I think Solo would have a check mark in most of the boxes. Yet after watching the film, I don't get the love from so many on this forum, and a small percentage around the U.S.. Usually I can see why I don't like something and others do. There's no hate here. I want to like it so bad...only like a cheap imitation it leaves an odd taste in my mouth.

Well, we'll see how it holds up over time and with more viewings. The Box Office numbers don't change a thing for me, I loved it and put it up there with TFA as my favorite SW film other than the OT.

well finally went and saw this with my daughter and a mate of mine. His nephew's turned up and sat in front of us. I'm very interested in what this younger generation thinks about the old SW and the new. They don't have all the baggage that we all carry around about this franchise so I see their view points as being a bit more... honest? objective? I'm not sure.

Even when I asked them what their favourite SW films are I can't tell if they are saying what they think I want to hear :)

They seemed to enjoy this film and the other latest releases. Has it impacted on them as the OT did with (most of) us? Not even close. Disney had an opportunity to create a set of films to lift us up and away from the OT and do something even better. For the most part they seem to be relying way too much on callbacks and soft reboots to try and get the job done.

Solo is one of their better offerings so far but it's all about the callbacks, it's a fun film I enjoyed it for the most part but it's entirely unnecessary IMO. Lets cobble together a story out of OT (some PT) references and one liners and blast it with the 'SW' cannon (canon)!

So while I liked this film I feel disappointed for the younger fans who aren't getting the calibre of SW films that they could have.

Come on Disney lift your bloody game and blow us out of the water already

I just hope Disney is paying attention. This movie could end up being the worst grossing and least viewed Star Wars movie ever (I don't count the theatrical release of The Clone Wars). While I agree box office numbers don't necessarily reflect whether a movie is "good or bad", I do think, for a franchise like this, it speak volumes about whether or not your fan base supports your movie and actually enjoys what you are doing.

I saw Solo for the second time yesterday and enjoyed it as much as the first time. A good old fashioned adventure film and a solid 8/10. Alden does a great job of portraying a young Han and is well supported by the rest of the cast. I had low expectations after TLJ, but I'd rate Solo up there with Rogue One. Also enjoyed the score by John Powell and will buy the soundtrack CD, as well as the Blu Ray when released.

A shame honestly, because I honestly had a lot more fun watching Solo than The Last Jedi. I realised the other day that I had rented TLJ a while ago, started watching it and never finished it. Just lost my interest. Good lord that whole Rose/Finn side adventure is painful.
Next to that Solo was a smooth ride all the way through. At this point I'm looking forward to see more of young Solo, more than I am to see IX. I want to know how it ends, but that's it.

Well if it is okay with @Bryancd, I'll give my take on the film. I came in expecting to be disappointed, with that being said I still held out some hope because I do like the characters, and do still have strong feelings for Star Wars.

I found it to be much better than TLJ, but I was just not wowed. I found the characters to be bland and dull. Except for Lando's droid. Oddly enough, for me L3 was very entertaining.

Not once did I feel like Alden was Han Solo. My ranking of the film is as follows (from worst to best):

* TLJ

* SASWS

* TFA

* TPM

* AOTC

* RO

* ROTS

* ROTJ

* ANH

* ESB

totally agree with this, I thought it was average at best

I'm sure that is filled with excellent points, but I can't watch a 49 minute review rant. I skimmed it and it's great stuff from what I did see.

I'm sure that is filled with excellent points, but I can't watch a 49 minute review rant. I skimmed it and it's great stuff from what I did see.
Youtubers REALLY need to bring this down.

RLM are probably the only ones who can get away with a long form video review. Everyone else should cap it at 12 minutes

A lot of youtubers are making a living ****ting on SW. I bet they'll be pleased with themselves when they've killed it for good and they can return to their day jobs.

A lot of youtubers are making a living ****ting on SW. I bet they'll be pleased with themselves when they've killed it for good and they can return to their day jobs.

How are the fans in any way responsible for killing Star Wars? That's the responsibility of the filmmakers.
The youtubers are just examining the flaming train wreck and analyzing how it ran off the rails.

Besides, Star Wars died years ago when Lucas killed it himself.
Disney just reanimated it's corpse. Like "Weekend at Bernie's", except tragic instead of funny.

How are the fans in any way responsible for killing Star Wars? That's the responsibility of the filmmakers.
The youtubers are just examining the flaming train wreck and analyzing how it ran off the rails.

Besides, Star Wars died years ago when Lucas killed it himself.
Disney just reanimated it's corpse. Like "Weekend at Bernie's", except tragic instead of funny.

QFT.

Besides, how much can a person like this girl really make doing youtube videos critiquing Star Wars and other movies?

I can't watch that girl,...she's as funny as a kick in the nuts

J

I'm assuming she's an adult, yes? Why is she talking like a 15 year-old kid? I haven't found one of these "review" videos that I can stand for more than 20 seconds - and that includes the beloved Red Letter Media. The doosh chills are overpowering.

I'm assuming she's an adult, yes? Why is she talking like a 15 year-old kid? I haven't found one of these "review" videos that I can stand for more than 20 seconds - and that includes the beloved Red Letter Media. The doosh chills are overpowering.

Yes, RLM has jumped the shark, big time. It's excruciating to watch now. And so convoluted that you don't even know when they're being sarcastic or sincere much of the time.

And the constant jump cuts that many of these youtubers (not RLM, though) use in their videos is enough to drive you batty. Especially when they give NO margin of silence on the beginning and end of each cut. Like this clown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35aEjj8C4Cg

I mean, who the hell can stand this for more than 30 seconds?!

That's why I like Jessi, because she does hers (at least this one) in all one shot. Which I'd say is mighty impressive, were it not for the massive amounts of cocaine she likely snorted before taping it. :lol Of course, I also like her because of her high-SWIQ analysis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmqfUm4F8Ec&t=2206s

Plus, she takes time to pause and breathe periodically, which allows her takes to sink in and be considered. Yeah, it's still a rat-atat-tat pace, but she's much better than others I've seen, with respect to pace and modulation.

The Wook

Last edited:
Yes, RLM has jumped the shark, big time. It's excruciating to watch now. And so convoluted that you don't even know when they're being sarcastic or sincere much of the time.

And the constant jump cuts that many of these youtubers (not RLM, though) use in their videos is enough to drive you batty. Especially when they give NO margin of silence on the beginning and end of each cut. Like this clown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35aEjj8C4Cg

I mean, who the hell can stand this for more than 30 seconds?!

I definitely agree with you on these JJ reviews. The jump cuts have gone crazy. It's one of the big rules of editing that has been broken so bad on the internet and this is the age of jump-cuts.

I consider the Jeremy Jahns ones excruciatingly annoying because there is no effort made to even make the audio sound a little cleaned up. It's straight sharp cuts without at least doing some segment clean-up between lines and often edit points are made before he is completely done speaking a sentence.

It's sloppy editing done very sloppily.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back