Sandbagger's Iron-Man builds - Now in STEEL

Those thumb pieces are a thing of true beauty.
Your work sir is truly unsurpassed, hats off to you!

Thanks man. :thumbsup

Well it's nearly 1am and I got a few pieces to work perfectly, (Index finger) so I'm going to bed happy. I changed the surface that I pour on to show more through the sand and I poured a LOT faster.

T9qvaY6.jpg

QQw1BpU.jpg

DOTZIC5.jpg

oRqRp9L.jpg

bxTSfi4.jpg

7Q6eOy4.jpg

T9qvaY6.jpg

QQw1BpU.jpg

DOTZIC5.jpg

oRqRp9L.jpg

bxTSfi4.jpg

7Q6eOy4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ Cheers dudes.

I decided that the back plate for each hand could be belted out of thick sheet aluminium and made quite deep, so that the palm plate with all the detail carved into it can be cast as a flatter piece, making it easier to cast.

I traced my hand onto a bit of aluminium then freehand added the wrap-around parts. Using a piece of foam underneath, I belted the crap out of it with an engineers hammer to give it a curve, periodically checking for fit on my hand. Lots of filing and bashing but got there pretty quickly.

There's a few little adjustments to be made to get a perfect fit, but it worked a treat.

Got an index finger done today as well.

IKmEd6M.jpg

cqOa02e.jpg

SB,Stan Lee himself had better come over and admire this suit ~ what a sight for sore eyes :thumbsup beautiful work
Like with all creative work,it's liberating and rewarding to see things unfold itself before your very eyes

This is what I was talking about Baz.
Multiple pieces done at once. This is in wax but the same can be applied to the foam. That's what I'll be doing when I get my furnace built...GM

SB,Stan Lee himself had better come over and admire this suit ~ what a sight for sore eyes :thumbsup beautiful work
Like with all creative work,it's liberating and rewarding to see things unfold itself before your very eyes

That would be very cool. And a visit from RDJ. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Aside from my own two threads this is the only reason I check in every day.

Wait... what? Mate I am humbled. Bless ya.

SB

- - - Updated - - -

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums...creenshot_2015-11-06-09-48-24_zpsmtsngsaq.png

This is what I was talking about Baz.
Multiple pieces done at once. This is in wax but the same can be applied to the foam. That's what I'll be doing when I get my furnace built...GM

Pretty neat. Now, is that wax buried in sand and hot metal poured straight in, or is it submerged in plaster of paris, then melted out in the oven to leave a cavity, THEN the hot metal poured in?

That would be very cool. And a visit from RDJ. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Wait... what? Mate I am humbled. Bless ya.

SB

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty neat. Now, is that wax buried in sand and hot metal poured straight in, or is it submerged in plaster of paris, then melted out in the oven to leave a cavity, THEN the hot metal poured in?

The wax IS melted out; it's called the lost wax method. It's done (ideally) by Slowly heating the plaster mold to approximately 1300 degrees Fahrenheit over a matter of hours, to ensure melting out all of the wax.

Be very careful if you attempt to cast numerous parts at once with this method, because the cavities are filled by gravity and if they fill too fast and/or slow, it will most likely increase the risk of accumulated air bubbles in the parts that will quickly reveal themselves when sanding them.
Also, you might want to consider building a vacuum chamber to evacuate air bubbles in the plaster.

You're doing a great job on everything, Keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wax IS melted out; it's called the lost wax method. It's done (ideally) by Slowly heating the plaster mold to approximately 1300 degrees Fahrenheit over a matter of hours, to ensure melting out all of the wax.

Be very careful if you attempt to cast numerous parts at once with this method, because the cavities are filled by gravity and if they fill too fast and/or slow, it will most likely increase the risk of accumulated air bubbles in the parts that will quickly reveal themselves when sanding them.
Also, you might want to consider building a vacuum chamber to evacuate air bubbles in the plaster.

You're doing a great job on everything, Keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Years ago I tried this method with wax castles and dragons I sculpted and I used lead because that's all I had as a kid. It is very slow and often has problems if you don't vent everything just right.

It seems a little too complicated for what I'm doing. The lost foam method in sand is very effective and more importantly, fast.

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas though. I may have use for that later down the track on other projects.

SB

Both plates for the back of the hands have been bashed into shape and are ready for a couple of detail grooves in the right places. I'll just file them in as they don't need to be too deep.

Now that they both wrap around the sides of the hand, the palm plate with all the raised details doesn't have to be so deep and curved. My shaped-to-match block of insulation foam needs minimal dishing on the inside to conform to the contours of my hand underneath.

Once that's done I can carefully cut in all the details on the outside. With help from Almighty God, I should then be able to cast it as one chunk with the molten aluminium reaching the edges this time as it doesn't have to travel as far.

vGofsHE.jpg

Praise THE LORD!!!!! IT WOOORRRRRRKED!!!!!!!

IT WOOOOOORRRRRKKKKKKEEEEEDDDDDD!!!!!!

1. Lots of sprues glued on to let the molten metal in.

0lpyWPX.jpg

2. Buried in the sands of hope and dreams.

JPpPPaQ.jpg

3. I deserve to hit the hay early tonight!

atuL9c8.jpg

4. But first, a nightcap in celebration of my pure awesomeness.

VIbaTLC.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back