Ghost in the Shell - Major's Thermoptic Pistol

CZMarty

Since we're provided with such wealth of detailed pictures from the upcoming reboot of Ghost in the Shell, I figured I'd try my luck with building one of the weapons. Major's "Thermoptic pistol" looks like it could be the perfect project for some clear resin casting, plus I absolutely love the look of that partially exposed magazine. I've got a couple work in progress pics so far, let me know what you guys think.

Would there be a demand if I managed to turn this build into a limited run of kits/finished props? Since I'm going to be casting every single part in resin, it makes sense to just go ahead and build more than just one.

sSr8XAY.jpg Iir3kQK.jpg INzGCcR.jpg NbYebCQ.jpg AjUblyD.jpg xTUwOvj.jpg

Now that I've printed and test fitted the slide, it's time to start working on the transparent frame and that odd looking overmoulding on the grip.

It took longer than expected but I finally have the first test clear cast of the pistol frame. Epoxy did not come out as transparent as I'd like, but the concept seems sound and using clear urethane instead of epoxy should be the way to go. Let me know what you think.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Limited run is a possibility, once I redo the moulds and start casting in clear urethane instead of epoxy. I couln't justify selling these if the end result wouldn't match my personal quality standards. The remaining parts from standard resin turned out okay, and this prototype should be finished in a couple of days. As always, I'd love some feedback on the pics.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I'm down, I was a bit upset from when I watched it you never got a good look at the magazine inside the gun which I would argue is the coolest part of the design

Ures Tal - yep, the empty transparent casting is pretty bland by itself, all those fake rounds inside really make it pop in my opinion. Unfortunately this transparent version didn't see much screen time as far as I was able to research. It's replaced by a converted, blank firing Glock with all the right furniture but no transparent bits. There's only only one moment when you can see the right side of the gun, and that's blurry at best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely something I would be interested in if the price point is right...after watching the film I've got a strong urge to cosplay as the Major.

@VioletSun - I'm glad you like the results so far. If I'm going to commit to a limited run of these, I expect the price to be in the range of 200 to 250 USD for a fully finished prop.

Hi, this is going to be my first post in an actual prop thread after the introducing thread. You are doing a great job with that pistol and I'm interested in the kit run if it happens.
I just have a question, there are currently two threads with that pistol and I see that you both did something at the top of the white grip part that I cannot see in the reference picture I found online. On your versions, the top part of the grip is really rounded and the white part on the back end of the receiver is really squarish and they don't really match. It seems to me that the grip part is more squarish on the ref pic that I got and that both parts are more matched together, that we don't see any space or gap.
I hope I'm making sense and may be of some help to you.
keep up the good work :)

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I should have better pics of the prototype really soon!
eethan - if you mean the radii on the rear edge of the slide vs those on the grip then yeah, those do not match. It's the same deal on the original prop, only my prototype was just dry fitted for a pic and so there's that ugly gap and the grip does not reach as far back as it should. This should be addressed in the next run. Also, first experiments with a clear urethane resin are far more promising than the epoxy. Really clear, no yellowing and it cures way faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I should have better pics of the prototype really soon!
@eethan - if you mean the radii on the rear edge of the slide vs those on the grip then yeah, those do not match. It's the same deal on the original prop, only my prototype was just dry fitted for a pic and so there's that ugly gap and the grip does not reach as far back as it should. This should be addressed in the next run. Also, first experiments with a clear urethane resin are far more promising than the epoxy. Really clear, no yellowing and it cures way faster.

Hey CZMarty,
Yeah, so what I'm trying to say is that the back of the gun is suposed to be totally flat and also the top side of the grip should be less rounded to have a better continuity with the slide. Now that I know how to post pictures, I guess it will show better, but I think you totally got my point anyway:
majorGun.jpg

I'm really looking forward to see your clean casting tests and next photos.
cheers

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back