depressing movie and tv photos...

Fairly old if I recall. There's a few out there if you look that were taken post-ANH and the majority, if not all, of the sets were demolished and left to a junk heap.

- - - Updated - - -

That was TPM set dressing right? Was it the original or did they build it?

I believe it was built but don't quote me on that. If it were original, it would probably be held at Shepperton Studios, where the original film was shot, barring it was demolished after the movie wrapped.

What a shame! The X-Wing looks like it had REALLY crashed. The pics of the Falcon pieces could have made a good beginning for a documentary like, "Raiders of the lost Hunk'a'junk", exploring the history of the wreckage. :)

This is (WAS?) the Buck Rogers Thunderfighter on the Universal lot... The Colonial Viper mockup suffered a similar fate. Rumours has it that both vehicles were destroyed in the big fire.

Oh wow...I remember seeing this in some back parking lot along with one of the kitts visiting my uncle when I was 12 and he worked for universal. Such an awesome sight for a 12 year old. So sad it wasn't preserved.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Kubrick wanted the 2001 props destroyed so they wouldn't be showing up in every space B-movie for the next 10 years.

Most of the KITTs were destroyed for liability reasons. A few survived.

In fact some of them had never been legal cars at all. in 1983 a batch of Firebirds were bumped around during a train derailment on the way to dealerships. General Motors was federally prohibited from selling them as undamaged new vehicles after it happened so they sent the cars to Universal.

Some of those train-derailed cars lacked T-top roofs. The KR crew faked the outlines of closed T-tops on those cars using generic trim pieces. It's occasionally visible in the episodes.

Here's an uplifting prop pic:

A few years after "Dukes of Hazzard" ended, Warner Bros sold off 17 surviving General Lees to a Dodge Charger fan club. They had to go through some legal/paperwork trouble to separate the studio from future liability.

Attachments

• GeneralLees.jpg
    GeneralLees.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

Yep, that's one of the 2 large scale ship props from the Flight of the Navigator. It was painted and dressed up, then perched on top of a mist pavilion (you walk through it on hot days to cool off on your way to buy a Coke) in Tomorrowland at Walt Disney World. Last time I checked it was still there.

The other full sized prop was left to rot in the hot Florida son out in the open on the tram tour at Disney MGM Studios (now Disney Hollywood Studios) for years. But they've closed that off and are razing it for the new Star Wars land and Toy Story Land, so I'm not sure where it is now...

4436366-The-Original-Spaceship-from-the-Flight-of-the-Navigator-movie-0.jpg

Oh, and next to it....

6891450235_aa9a690a7f_b.jpg

The Eva Pod (set dressing in TPM) was probably the one re-made for 2010 (all of the décor/sets from 2001 were destroyed).

Wasnt the actual Orca on the Universal lot? I recall a recent interview on EW with Speilberg saying he used to go and sit in it when he was stressed out and then one day they scrapped it without telling him?

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/28/steven-spielberg-jaws-universal-backlot
There were two. One was a legit boat, the other was a fibreglass replica made for the sinking scenes that could be easily refloated. After filming wrapped up it was dumped on the beach in martha's vineyard. Over the next 30 years it was picked apart by trophy hunters until there was almost nothing left except the metal frame it was attached to. :(

There were two. One was a legit boat, the other was a fibreglass replica made for the sinking scenes that could be easily refloated. After filming wrapped up it was dumped on the beach in martha's vineyard. Over the next 30 years it was picked apart by trophy hunters until there was almost nothing left except the metal frame it was attached to. :(

thats a different story from what I was told. I have a family member who lives out there, the boat was bought or given too and now sleeps in a large garage. For a donation u can get a piece of the boat. All the metal framing is there, a couple years ago while my father was out sports fishing he went to go get me pictures of the boat. That's when he realized it was moved and only the frame left behind. We got in touch with my cousins and they said it was moved and now privately owned, this could all be completely wrong but I have seen on here people saying for a donation you can get a small piece of the boat as well, so I thought the story I was told had some truth

Wasnt the actual Orca on the Universal lot? I recall a recent interview on EW with Speilberg saying he used to go and sit in it when he was stressed out and then one day they scrapped it without telling him?

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/28/steven-spielberg-jaws-universal-backlot

Sadly universal is is known for taking a chainsaw to their props... The fiberglass Delorean suffered the same fate... Last I knew someone had pictures of it from a near by high raise. On a dolly in a parking lot... Then it went missing, rumor is it was cut up and thrown away

i also read Spielberg went into a uproar when he found out the boat was scrapped, as he would go sit on it when he was visiting.

Sadly universal is is known for taking a chainsaw to their props... The fiberglass Delorean suffered the same fate... Last I knew someone had pictures of it from a near by high raise. On a dolly in a parking lot... Then it went missing, rumor is it was cut up and thrown away

i also read Spielberg went into a uproar when he found out the boat was scrapped, as he would go sit on it when he was visiting.

want to get in speilburgs good graces, holly wood yes men?

Build a replica of the boat and deliver it too him.

you're welcome ;o)

The Eva Pod (set dressing in TPM) was probably the one re-made for 2010 (all of the décor/sets from 2001 were destroyed).
Wasn't the junkyard scene filmed in Tunisia? I would hope they didn't ship the 2010 pod all the way from the U.S. for a cameo.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back