Finished The Eighth Passenger

Re: The Eighth Passenger

This is some inspirational work!! Amazing attention to detail & great use of materials :thumbsup

Keep up the good work mate :)

with this it ended the work of the fiberglass molds. Missing only the silicone mold of the toenails. I finally came out of the garage,where I worked to hot and cold for 7 months:)

IMAG2111.jpg IMAG2119.jpg IMAG2120.jpg IMAG2121.jpgIMAG2122.jpg IMAG2123.jpg IMAG2124.jpg IMAG2125.jpg

You moulds are beautiful! really nicely made :thumbsup I'm quite envious! & they're all fiberglass. I bet you cant stand the smell of polyester now :)

You moulds are beautiful! really nicely made :thumbsup I'm quite envious! & they're all fiberglass. I bet you cant stand the smell of polyester now :)

Thanks Leigh.:)

I am to me never liked working with fiberglass. It was a psychological effort, because there is nothing of the game, as in sculpture. It just has to work hard. I think instead that you love most like to have the molds, because I believe that you love very well the mechanical technique. I see the care with which you realize the supports of the molds. It is almost maniacal. :) I was in a tunnel and I was just about to drop everything. Then I resisted and I began to see a little light at the end of the tunnel and I passed the critical point. But I work with a professional mask and do not feel smells. The resin to use, has a more pleasant smell than orthophthalic. Almost I like. I'll tell you what it's called. Which one do you use?

awesome progress here too! you and Leigh are absolute pro- mould makers! very aesthetic and your sculpts are just the same quality as your moulds:) :GREAT!

Dicyclopentadiene commonly called DCPD
The DCPD resin generally has high mechanical strengths slightly lower than the orthophthalic resin but better wet the reinforcing fibers and contains less styrene.

Hello everyone,
Last night I printed the right leg. It came very well and very robust. I brought the foam density to 150kg / m3. The volume is extremely compact and the surface is hard. Pressing with all the strength, the surface with your fingers, it does not deform. The plastic coating is still necessary to increase the resistance to shock with a sharp object. There is not indestructible material. Also the iron can be dented or scratched. So we have not even mad for robustness, because a statue is not meant to be ridden.
Here are some pictures

IMAG2114.jpg IMAG2113.jpg IMAG2117.jpg IMAG2115.jpg

Here I cast the resin, which is expanding and solidifying.
IMAG2129.jpg

IMAG2132.jpg IMAG2134.jpg IMAG2135.jpg IMAG2136.jpg IMAG2137.jpg
Here I cleaned up a little from burrs, which must be sanded until no signs of mold separation. The leg rests by itself in perfect balance. That ass! :)
IMAG2138.jpg

This is Awesome work! :thumbsup Are you going to be adding the plastic coating after casting the foam? or will you be lining your moulds with urethane plastic & then filling with foam?

This is Awesome work! :thumbsup Are you going to be adding the plastic coating after casting the foam? or will you be lining your moulds with urethane plastic & then filling with foam?

I can not put the plastic, before the foam, because I have to work still adding details such as pipes and ribbed parts, ribs and other details, for which I need to mill some area. The plasticizing takes place after, taking care not to lose detail. Unfortunately I could not afford the silicone rubber, which would allow me to pour the plastic, before the foam, and get one piece to finish. It remains always a little 'work, but it's nice, because it is sculpture. And I have the advantage that the mold life is superior to that of my life, and I can make a print when I feel like it, even in ten years. :)

Hello everyone,
Yesterday I printed the torso. It all seems ok, right? Instead, no!
I put too polyurethane and the rear wall of the mold, ie the back, it is inflated and remains deformed, due to the pressure and the heat of the polyurethane. I'll have to redo this wall with fiberglass, also more robust. I will have to reduce the foam density to 127 kgm / m3 instead of 150kg / m3. 127 kgm / m3, the minimum amount should be sufficient.
This part it could recover, but it's quicker to do it again. I'll try to retrieve the inner frame, but if I see that it is too strenuous, also redo this, which is a paltry expense.

It's a nuisance, because I thought I had finished with fiberglass. Patience, my fault. I should have been more cautious. Probably the legs have held up well because the relationship between the fiberglass thickness and width of the surface of the walls of the mold is greater. For example, as the difference between bending a long and one short iron rod, which have the same diameter.

IMAG2148.jpg IMAG2149.jpg IMAG2150.jpg IMAG2151.jpg IMAG2152.jpg IMAG2153.jpg IMAG2154.jpg IMAG2155.jpg IMAG2156.jpg IMAG2157.jpg

In between I also made the second leg.

IMAG2158.jpg

Before you throw away the damaged part of the mould, try heating it & pushing it back to shape. I'd also think about pouring your foam in layers to prevent this happening again.

HTH :)

Fantastic looking mould & frame :thumbsup :)

Before you throw away the damaged part of the mould, try heating it & pushing it back to shape. I'd also think about pouring your foam in layers to prevent this happening again.

HTH :)

Fantastic looking mould & frame :thumbsup :)

Thanks Leigh,:thumbsup
Yes, I had thought of it to heat up with the hair dryer, but use less time to do it and the cost is just 15-20 €. and a couple of hours of work. And I do twice as many layers, because this side, unlike the others, is not alien ribs that act as mechanical ribs.
As for casting in layers, I would avoid it, because without a minimum pressure are not formed all the interspaces. The density of 127kg / m3 should be corrected and provides almost 2.5kg in less than polyurethane mixture, perhaps also a little poor. :)

Last edited:

They shot an arrow in my chest and expelled into space. But I haven't heart,and my acid blood dissolved the arrow. I met the comet wake that has clothed me with ice, which has protected me in the fall on your planet. Now I'm coming
IMAG2300.jpg
IMAG2302.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back