BLADE RUNNER BLASTER Replica by DAIKI KOGYO / ELFIN KNIGHTS (Japan)

Well that's not encouraging. Many of the issues I see there are the same on my gun - warped laser pointer, the Steyr receiver isn't straight and level in either the top or side view, and it's oddly lumpy in spots... maybe I'll go for a refund instead of an exchange. May I ask what Facebook group that was posted to?

Mark in Okinawa

Blade Runner UK Fans - https://www.facebook.com/groups/717582058289297/

I asked HLJ if they would be willing to inspect any replacement they send me, and they responded that they've gone ahead and had a look at the remaining warehouse stock. They can't open and remove the blasters from the packaging for a thorough inspection but they feel that what they have seems fine as observed through the box window. My opinion is that they would really need someone on the staff who is at least somewhat familiar with the subject to inspect each one out of the box to be 100% sure that acceptable product is going out, but being that they are not the manufacturer I can see where they wouldn't want to get involved in all of that.

I'm going to play it safe and go for the refund. I'll put the money toward a nice kit of the subject from some other manufacturer and call it a lesson learned.

Mark in Okinawa

:popcorn..............A refund sounds like a good idea to me. I had two of these on order many months ago and cancelled my order quite some time ago. Was thinking of buying one or two now though, but having learnt that the end product sucks (Thankyou for sending pics here on the Forum)....I won't buy any of these.:behave ...... unless Elfin Knights people fix up their product:confused

Last edited:
This is pretty disheartening for sure. I was really thinking about ordering one of these just to get a Takagi at an affordable price, but this looks like the manufacturer never accounted for the cooling of the material, and just thought they could produce them quickly for larger profit. it is pretty close to the quality of some of the really bad recasts from the 90's including the famous "Ugly Blaster" recast of Rick Ross's gun in one piece clear plastic that had parts stuck on the wrong places and warped, and that one originally sold for $20. With the rise in cost of these kind of replicas, I am getting ready to quit collecting these things. I love my crappy blasters, but they were all under $30. It makes me pretty sad. I really hope Ryosuki had not signed off on these. HLJ will certainly take returns if it does not match the pictures, and maybe new runs will fix the issues, or force the price to be equal to the quality of the blaster, if they just want to sell it as a cheap Cosplay blaster toy. It doesn't look like they have much into them, and HLJ will probably not let them get away with it if this is the way they all turned out.

andy

...Well, I kind of forgot who Ryosuki is, however it is obvious that the 'Elfin Knights' management let these finished blasters go out the door like this....it is shameful. And what's with leaving "Made In Austria" out too(?). They dropped the ball on this for sure. Will be interested to see what develops later from this....whether they do a fix up later.:unsure

seems the inherent issue stems fro the material itself, PVC and ABS. This also has me wondering if any parts are actually vinyl. Regardless PVC and ABS are formed with heat hence the warpage. This is harkening back to the Mal pistol from QMX that was cast in "Polystone" yet parts pulled from molds too soon at the manufacturers resulting in warped parts and angry customers. This always makes me wonder why get so far into a project to cheapen out on the actual manufacture?

Is the dropping of the "MADE IN AUSTRIA" consistent with what's been shipped for everyone? Sounds like a mass production issue.

Both mine and the one posted to Blade Runner UK Fans Facebook group are missing the "MADE IN AUSTRIA"... Mine does have a nice big "MADE IN CHINA" emblazoned on the butt-plate in white letters, though :)

Mark in Okinawa

seems the inherent issue stems fro the material itself, PVC and ABS. This also has me wondering if any parts are actually vinyl. Regardless PVC and ABS are formed with heat hence the warpage..........

PVC is Vinyl. If the tooling and manufacturing processes are carried out correctly, there should be no distortion or warping in any of these plastics. Have a look at the pre-production example on the advertisement..... a nice example of what the end product should have looked like.:popcorn

PVC is technically vinyl, yes,. but vinyl is a softer form with different additives than "PVC". PVC would be like plastic where vinyl would be pliable. Its a huge difference when talking cast vs formed parts.

...Well, I kind of forgot who Ryosuki is, however it is obvious that the 'Elfin Knights' management let these finished blasters go out the door like this....it is shameful. And what's with leaving "Made In Austria" out too(?). They dropped the ball on this for sure. Will be interested to see what develops later from this....whether they do a fix up later.:unsure

Ryosuki Takagi is the artist that created Elfin Knights Productions, and one of the biggest fans of the BR blaster of all time, making them since the early 80s. The company that made these was Daiki Kogyo, a company specialized in making vinyl kits and cheaper cosplay props. The fact that they call it a "Takagi Type" might mean they just used one of his models as a master. I have not got any replies from anyone in the know yet.

andy

I got mine today, it doesn't look as bad as the others. It's still a little soft, and the knob on the right side seems a bit crooked towards the body. I'll try to post some pics.

Here's a few pics. The "leds" are just painted metallic red and green.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418800146963.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418800146963.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 251
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418800178046.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418800178046.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 208
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418800195198.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418800195198.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 178
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418800207900.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418800207900.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 147
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418800226078.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418800226078.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 154
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418800239485.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418800239485.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 146
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418800261191.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418800261191.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 148
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418800274246.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418800274246.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 152
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418800289335.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418800289335.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 131
Here's a few pics. The "leds" are just painted metallic red and green.

I'm really glad to see that yours is better but I still feel that this product is a total disgrace and that they should be ashamed of what they are pushing onto the collectors.

These bear no resemblance to the gorgeous prototypes they posted as hooks for their sales pitch and its irritating to see the pristine prototype featured so prominently on the back of the packaging. Indeed the pic on the back only serves to underscore how far short their offering falls.

Andy, I look forward to hearing their comments if you ever get a response mate..

Regards
MARK

Thanks for the pics iams001efni. Your blaster does look better than the previous postings. Not too bad for cosplay I guess. A shame it wasn't cast sharper and with "MADE IN AUSTRIA". It's got that soft PVC look. Hard ABS would be the shot.:unsure............. I don't think I will order one...was looking forward to one of these all plastic Elfin Knights Blasters for quite a long time, especially at this very low price point.

Last edited:
I was also thinking of ordering one of these, but no way. Just, NO WAY. My feelings mirror what Mark posted. Just shameful.

Any advice on what type of paints one might use to paint butt plate and top receiver and maybe trigger guard? Also, can the grips be unscrewed from the gun to make it easier to paint?

I have one on order. I have owned a Coyle and still have a SidKit and have seen the other $1000+ guns. I realize this piece has its flaws, but for $150, is it really THAT bad? Does anybody else sell anything that comes close to this for $150? Not challenging other people's negative views, just curious if there is something else out there that I may have missed.

Had I known this prop replica would skyrocket to $1000+, I would have socked away more SidKits when they were selling for under $300, I believe. Geesh.

I think the reality is along the lines of what cratercritter said, it's just a cosplay item, which is unfortunate, but it looks like that's what we're stuck with. The thing really seems stuck together and I think most of the hex screws are just molded detail, although I haven't tried to get it apart. I guess I have been spoiled by the Wand Phaser at a similar price point so my expectations were along with everyone else's with the wonderful prototype photos. I think my friend, which this is a gift for will still enjoy it, as he does a lot of cosplay. I am going to 3d print a base for it that I found on the Makerbot website that is a Cube of the Frank Lloyd Wright tiles.

Also the Made in China on the buttom, feels raised a bit, maybe a dry transfer, or something. Maybe it's possible to get them off without damaging the paint underneath.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back