Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Correct, I meant to say that.

Don't k ow how well it shows up in pictures but in person the painted areas look much superior to the bare plastic.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yeah i can tell.
The value and tone difference between paint and plastic on mine is just about the same as yours.
At least I know my color is in the ballpark, lol

cbf5fcc95fbb02e978d26a62f992af67.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What did you use from the grime color on the tips of the mandibles?
Or is that just a shadow?

I actually experimented with preshading that area and circumference of the gunport discs using Badger acrylic grimy black before spraying the reefer white basecoat. I plan to use the same grimy black as the overspray for the entire ship.

I actually experimented with preshading that area and circumference of the gunport discs using Badger acrylic grimy black before spraying the reefer white basecoat. I plan to use the same grimy black as the overspray for the entire ship.

What is “grimy black”?

Brown mixed with black?

Here's a couple closer shots of the plates I bent with my soldering iron. For the extensive damage around the starboard docking ring I used my thinnest razor saw to carefully saw into the hull to create two layers and then heated the new outer layer to bend outward. It came close to breaking off, but I secured it some thin cement. You can also see where I added ILM's grab holes in the sidewalls using some brass tube. I'm hoping to find a tap to add some screw threads on the inside of the tube to make it more authentic. :devil
IMG_8932.jpgIMG_8940.jpgIMG_8939.jpgIMG_8937.jpgIMG_8933.jpgIMG_8948.jpgIMG_8947.jpgIMG_8946.jpgIMG_8944.jpgIMG_8951.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8943.jpg
    IMG_8943.jpg
    700.8 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_8942.jpg
    IMG_8942.jpg
    749.7 KB · Views: 210

It does to my eye. Later today I'll see if I can spray a comparison swatch with straight Tamiya black.

Thanks, im looking to mix a grime color for weathering and need references.

I guess I would say Im looking for something that looks like motor oil.
Lol

Yeah i can tell.
The value and tone difference between paint and plastic on mine is just about the same as yours.
At least I know my color is in the ballpark, lol

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180116/cbf5fcc95fbb02e978d26a62f992af67.jpg

Agreed, looks good.

Also, I chose neutral grey as a primer/base coat upon some experimnts. The definition of neutral grey IIRC is 50/50 white and black.

I also tried some Tamiya acrylic black and German grey (dark grey), both of which imparted a slight greenish tint when over coated with Reefer White that's difficult to hide.

The neutral grey imparted no greenish tint with the Reefer White overcoat and just left a nice subtle grey shading where the topcoat was thinner.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Here's a couple closer shots of the plates I bent with my soldering iron. For the extensive damage around the starboard docking ring I used my thinnest razor saw to carefully saw into the hull to create two layers and then heated the new outer layer to bend outward. It came close to breaking off, but I secured it some thin cement. You can also see where I added ILM's grab holes in the sidewalls using some brass tube. I'm hoping to find a tap to add some screw threads on the inside of the tube to make it more authentic. :devil
View attachment 787711View attachment 787715

View attachment 787711View attachment 787715View attachment 787714View attachment 787713View attachment 787712View attachment 787722View attachment 787720View attachment 787719View attachment 787718View attachment 787723

Lol, i totally forgot about doing the warps and dents on mine until after I had painted it.
I was afraid the heat would totally screw up the paint job so I didnt even bother to use a heat gun..i just took some needle nose pliers and slowly bent the plastic.
33378c676587fb4b4d88f8a8339cfd8b.jpg
2af84ac34805b77c50e62ee5e59d34be.jpg

My only regret when it comes to bending the panels is that I wish I'd thinned the overhanging plastic just a bit. On the close-up shots of mine, the plastic looks a little thicker compared to the 5-footer. It looks fine at "on the shelf" distance.
thick.jpg
EDIT: I just took the back edge of an Xacto and scraped some of the plastic. It worked, so at some point before the final overspray I'll thin the sidewall overhangs. I'll leave it for now so I don't break any edges.

Last edited:

cking wrote:

"Little tiny Chewie is done!"

Perfect! That's how I'd like mine to come out.

Over the weekend I performed some surgery on my Bandai 1/72 Perfect Grade Millennium Falcon. As is the cockpit is configured for the somewhat longer cockpit seen in Empire. I preferred the close, cramped cockpit seen in the first film. Although I plan to touch up the figures, I am now pleased with the results. Lucas had it right when he wanted it claustrophobic . I didn't care for what they did with it in Empire/Jedi.

Of Course, I can easily swap the full size set out for the Miniatures cockpit interior...when I get around to scratch building one.

Over the weekend I performed some surgery on my Bandai 1/72 Perfect Grade Millennium Falcon. As is the cockpit is configured for the somewhat longer cockpit seen in Empire. I preferred the close, cramped cockpit seen in the first film. Although I plan to touch up the figures, I am now pleased with the results. Lucas had it right when he wanted it claustrophobic . I didn't care for what they did with it in Empire/Jedi.

Of Course, I can easily swap the full size set out for the Miniatures cockpit interior...when I get around to scratch building one.

[url]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/924/txeZ8l.jpg[/URL]
[url]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/923/Of5AFF.jpg[/URL]

Looks great. How much distance are we talking to achieve that look? 3mm? Or did you take it up to the back of the chairs?

Thanks! I eyeballed it. I did remove some of the plastic of the cockpit floor to allow the console to move forward. I used reference pics of the full size set in A New Hope. You can see Han and Chewie are much more forward than the stock kit has them.

My only regret when it comes to bending the panels is that I wish I'd thinned the overhanging plastic just a bit. On the close-up shots of mine, the plastic looks a little thicker compared to the 5-footer. It looks fine at "on the shelf" distance.
View attachment 787738
EDIT: I just took the back edge of an Xacto and scraped some of the plastic. It worked, so at some point before the final overspray I'll thin the sidewall overhangs. I'll leave it for now so I don't break any edges.

looks good to me. [emoji106]

Jumping in on this. Delivered last night, and I was able to take full advantage of a snow day here in Raleigh. All I’ve done is inspect the kit, separate out interior parts, and start on the sub assemblies to be painted separately. Tomorrow I’m hoping to get through bottom and mandibles.

My wife was not thrilled about the money I spent ($100 off didn’t register, LOL), but by the end of the day she was fed up with grad school work and jealous of what I was doing. I’m as happy as a pig in slip right now.

a7c4ba5fc4ece490acc12d72292958a7.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back