Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Did you miss the whole controversy when Lucasfilm/Disney dumped the EU?

They basically wiped the slate clean, renamed the old EU as "Star Wars Legends," and declared it non-canon. But George really never thought of the EU as canon to begin with.

The Wookiepedia article has more background: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Legends

Or did they. If Rey should some way happen to be Ben's twin sister. Then its just a name change. And they didnt throw out all of it.

Now I know alot of you say, well, it was said right there in the movie, she was told by Kylo and in her head, she truly believes, she is a nobody. But I still believe she is a somebody.

From the story group video, finally a clear shot of the height of First Order impotence:
View attachment 786527

I still can't believe the absolute boredom produced by this script. Why create the biggest ship ever seen in SW if all it's going to do is launch 3 fighters? The story group brags about how they got the cross-sections artist to reflect portions of the movie in the drawings of the Raddus... but with The Supremacy, why bother having a ship with tractor beams and ion cannons in the technical specs if it can't use them? What's the point of having a crew of 2 million and god knows how many fighter squadrons if we don't get to see them in action? Poe can single-handedly disable a Dreadnought but the FO can't send 30, 40, 50 fighters to disable the Raddus? After it's bridge and hanger are destroyed? Preposterous.

That is something that truly bothered me. The battle was great with the bombers but honestly, I couldn’t believe that all those fighters weren’t deployed from it in time or that Poe was able to get in close enough to directly attack it. Then again IRL you have heavy destroyers get wrecked by RHIB type boats and dinghys...so....why not

Want to talk Rey's parents (I know - here we go again), but focusing more on the discrepancies between TFA and TLJ. In the vision in TFA, we see Rey's parents blasting off of Jakku in fairly large transport while Rey is being restrained by Ungar; yet Kylo tells Rey that her parents were junkers who traded her for drinking money. If they were junkers - they wouldn't have the ship they showed in the vision. If Rey was "sold", then we can presume she is a slave. This was obviously not the case in TFA. Rey may have been trapped, but she was free to come and go as she wished on Jakku.

I bet get crap for this, so forgive me, but why did Kylo turn to the dark side? Because he woke up with Luke standing over him with a lightsaber thinking he was going to kill him? Sorry if this was discussed already but there are 116 pages :lol

Want to talk Rey's parents (I know - here we go again), but focusing more on the discrepancies between TFA and TLJ. In the vision in TFA, we see Rey's parents blasting off of Jakku in fairly large transport while Rey is being restrained by Ungar; yet Kylo tells Rey that her parents were junkers who traded her for drinking money. If they were junkers - they wouldn't have the ship they showed in the vision. If Rey was "sold", then we can presume she is a slave. This was obviously not the case in TFA. Rey may have been trapped, but she was free to come and go as she wished on Jakku.

Where did all the stuff Ungar buy go? Junkers, traders they all could come and go to Jakku to buy parts and junk so the fact they had a ship does not really derail anything. She may not have been strictly watched but there is only so much you can do on Jakku. Due to her knowledge I'm sure she has been working at the depot and then scavenging since she was a young girl. Maybe the parents coming back is something Ungar even told her to kind of keep her around. Good discussion point though, thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I bet get crap for this, so forgive me, but why did Kylo turn to the dark side? Because he woke up with Luke standing over him with a lightsaber thinking he was going to kill him? Sorry if this was discussed already but there are 116 pages :lol

Most likely, he had normal thoughts (parent issues, expectations of being a kid whose parents are legends,etc etc) that were stoked by Snoke to become super angry points that led him to the dark side. We actually don't have the concrete way on how Snoke led him to the dark side but this seems like the most likely reasons for me.

Luke standing over him was just the final trigger for him and his buds to destroy the place and take off.

Where did all the stuff Ungar buy go? Junkers, traders they all could come and go to Jakku to buy parts and junk so the fact they had a ship does not really derail anything. She may not have been strictly watched but there is only so much you can do on Jakku. Due to her knowledge I'm sure she has been working at the depot and then scavenging since she was a young girl. Maybe the parents coming back is something Ungar even told her to kind of keep her around. Good discussion point though, thanks!

I bet Unkar knows who her parents are. A hidden deal to keep her safe. Never expecting any of that to ever happen on Jakku.

Thats why he offered so much for BB8, cause he knew all of it. And knew he had to get BB8 away from her

I bet Unkar knows who her parents are. A hidden deal to keep her safe. Never expecting any of that to ever happen on Jakku.

Thats why he offered so much for BB8, cause he knew all of it. And knew he had to get BB8 away from her

No, he offered so much for BB-8 because the FO had put out information that they were looking for it. Same reason the 2 groups On Han's big ship recognized it and it was noticed at Maz's site.

Maybe Luke saw in him what he saw in Rey - immediate connection with the Dark Side. But, in Luke's mind, he thought that potential for darkness meant a proclivity towards the Dark Side when it was actually meant a capacity for true balance. Luke's rash behavior might have been just the impetus to push Kylo, a padawan possibly at a critical point in his training, in the wrong direction. Maybe this is also why Luke recoiled in fear when he looked into Rey. It might also explain why Rey and Kylo have this bond.

Rian closed the Reys parents story line with her being no one special. That's what the message of Reys story in TLJ was. That you can be a nobody and still become a somebody.

I think these are the kind of discrepancies that were just going to have to deal with when they give a writer/director full creative freedom and there is no general out line of where the story is going. There really should have been someone overseeing the whole trilogy to make sure that these episodes are cohesive with each other. I wish Rian would have taken what TFA gave to him and ran with it. Instead he did his own thing which ends up making these episodes feel less related to each other and leads to the discrepancies like you mentioned above.

Rian closed the Reys parents story line with her being no one special. That's what the message of Reys story in TLJ was. That you can be a nobody and still become a somebody.

I think these are the kind of discrepancies that were just going to have to deal with when they give a writer/director full creative freedom and there is no general out line of where the story is going. There really should have been someone overseeing the whole trilogy to make sure that these episodes are cohesive with each other. I wish Rian would have taken what TFA gave to him and ran with it. Instead he did his own thing which ends up making these episodes feel less related to each other and leads to the discrepancies like you mentioned above.
This is what I've mentioned before as my biggest "issue" with TLJ - that there wasn't a predetermined story arc for the trilogy. While I really like TLJ (seen it 6 times), it doesn't feel cohesive from Ep 7 to Ep 8. I start to question what the Star Wars Story Group's involvement in the writing of TLJ was - highly involved, kinda involved, or Rian did his own thing. I feel like it was the latter.

This sums up how I feel exactly. Well said.

Rey wasn’t born on Jakku , her ‘ Nobody / Junker parents ‘ left her there for whatever reason right ? . Then within a relatively short span of time , she develops into one of the most proficient and powerful wielders of the Force with no prior knowledge of , nor apparent training in . This is what I don’t understand , and please correct me if I’ve got this ( sure I read this somewhere ) wrong , but isn’t Jakku a planet that holds some Force significance within the universe as far as such places exist - like Dagobah ? , and if that’s the case , then isn’t it possible that she was left there on purpose , by people who wanted her to grow up enveloped in such an environment . This is purely speculation on my part , but if true, then I can’t believe that her Parents didn’t specifically choose that planet for her to ‘ grow up ‘ in .

That doesn’t sound like nobody’s .

Last edited:
I mean, we COULD keep doing the same thing and make her the daughter of some great Force user. But...hasn't that whole "Jedi Aristocracy" thing been done? Why not give us a new type of character who doesn't "inherit" her place in the galaxy?

I mean, we COULD keep doing the same thing and make her the daughter of some great Force user. But...hasn't that whole "Jedi Aristocracy" thing been done? Why not give us a new type of character who doesn't "inherit" her place in the galaxy?

Then we would just have Tar Ar

With out SkyWalkerS

Last edited:

She doesn’t have to be related to anyone of significance from the OT . That wasn’t the point I was trying to make .
I do think Kylo wasn’t being honest with her regarding her heritage though . Plus , if she was placed on Jakku for the reason I mentioned specifically , then that may help explain why she’s so adept with using the Force . Kind of , maybe ?

Akin to Anakin !:lol - after all he wasn’t the son of a great Force user Either was he ?

Why do a lot of people think Rey has a story-related duty to show that you don't need to be a Skywalker to be a powerful force user?

The OT had OWK, Yoda, and Palpatine to show us non-Skywalkers. And the PT had them all over the place. This is not something that needs to be communicated.

This is what I've mentioned before as my biggest "issue" with TLJ - that there wasn't a predetermined story arc for the trilogy. While I really like TLJ (seen it 6 times), it doesn't feel cohesive from Ep 7 to Ep 8. I start to question what the Star Wars Story Group's involvement in the writing of TLJ was - highly involved, kinda involved, or Rian did his own thing. I feel like it was the latter.

If their not highly involved they, or someone needs to be. I kinda wish they would have kept JJ on for that roll. Sad to say but his executive producer credit on this movie was probably more of an honorary title and he wasn't that involved.

For me, a lot of the fun as being a SW fan is that I can watch these movies over and over and break them down to possibly find clues about what might happen to our characters in next movie. But when you have careless discrepancies like these it kinda takes the fun out of it.

If their not highly involved they, or someone needs to be. I kinda wish they would have kept JJ on for that roll. Sad to say but his executive producer credit on this movie was probably more of an honorary title and he wasn't that involved.

For me, a lot of the fun as being a SW fan is that I can watch these movies over and over and break them down to possibly find clues about what might happen to our characters in next movie. But when you have careless discrepancies like these it kinda takes the fun out of it.

Without a shadow of doubt it was an honorary title. I`m not the greatest fan of TFA as it was, when you boil it down, a lazy remake of ANH just to get a product on the shelves as quickly as possible but at least it did so without totally trashing the things that give the franchise gravitas. It also had some some solid set ups for the future.

I think the initial success of TLJ was a result of those solid set ups and the sharp decline in its success is a result of failing those same set ups so badly, amongst other things.

The best thing Disney could do right now is swallow its pride and dump Johnson from this new trilogy, hire some credible writers, even Lucas himself working with that same team possibly and secure Abrams for the three film package.

While they are at it, complete the process by removing Kathleen Kennedy as the whole SOLO drama saga falls at her feet. Failure to spot the problems with this production and address them much quicker is I`m sure something thats been discussed behind closed doors. If not, it should be.

Not hard to see how this applies today... although with the internet around, it's much more difficult to get away with it.
attachment.php

Attachments

• ZOrkVM_qiflYvJs8ek324-R7GmROT31s20hVf0jJjVs.jpg
    ZOrkVM_qiflYvJs8ek324-R7GmROT31s20hVf0jJjVs.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 218
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back