Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Satisfying according to whom?

This really is the core of it... you don't have to be satisfied with it. Nobody does. But if your position is that you weren't satisfied with it, at least accept that others don't necessarily share that view, and so don't say the *movie* was unsatisfying...say it didn't satisfy *you*. This lets people know that it didn't land with you, but you aren't trying to convince them why they should also dislike it.

It's always great when someone in a thread assumes the noble mantle of Captain Obvious so that they can point out to someone else expressing an opinion that what they say is just their own personal opinion, and not necessarily shared by all. Of course it is. Good grief.

Or maybe you weren't being obvious. Maybe you really think that the opinion I expressed—that the OT characters could have been handled in a more satisfying way—was an isolated one. Are some folks ok with Han leaving Leia and returning to the life of a disreputable smuggler, and then dying? Maybe. Are some ok with Luke having become a hopeless hermit that resists multiple appeals for help, and then dies? I guess.

But to imply that those who feel otherwise are somehow isolated in that thinking (in which case I would suggest you re-read the thread), or need to qualify the disappointed opinions they express on a website so as not to influence the opinions of others (GASP, the horror if that happened), is ridiculous. I get it, you were fine with the choices made. I was not. And I'll express it any d@3n way I please. I certainly don't need a patronizing lesson on what I should have said. I said exactly what I meant, and if necessary and appropriate, I will say it again.

Looking at the percentages at the top of the thread, more than half the people here couldn't care less or dislike 'The Last Jedi'...
Says it all really

It's always great when someone in a thread assumes the noble mantle of Captain Obvious so that they can point out to someone else expressing an opinion that what they say is just their own personal opinion, and not necessarily shared by all. Of course it is. Good grief.

Or maybe you weren't being obvious. Maybe you really think that the opinion I expressed—that the OT characters could have been handled in a more satisfying way—was an isolated one. Are some folks ok with Han leaving Leia and returning to the life of a disreputable smuggler, and then dying? Maybe. Are some ok with Luke having become a hopeless hermit that resists multiple appeals for help, and then dies? I guess.

But to imply that those who feel otherwise are somehow isolated in that thinking (in which case I would suggest you re-read the thread), or need to qualify the disappointed opinions they express on a website so as not to influence the opinions of others (GASP, the horror if that happened), is ridiculous. I get it, you were fine with the choices made. I was not. And I'll express it any d@3n way I please. I certainly don't need a patronizing lesson on what I should have said. I said exactly what I meant, and if necessary and appropriate, I will say it again.
Or perhaps sometimes we need someone to remind us of what should be obvious.

I posted quite a bit how TFA negated the "happy ending" that we got in RotJ two years ago. Heads were butted over this and I will still agree that I wanted better for our heroes - I wanted them to live the perfect lives. But, life isn't perfect - life goes on. We missed the parts were life was great for them - that wasn't the story that was meant to be told in this trilogy.

Star Wars is as Star Wars is always about: the fight between good and bad. It's not "and they lived happily ever after."

I believe there are a few objective problems with Holdo, as a character.

When Po started to straighten up thinking he might be given command I was ready to facepalm and was relieved to hear it was Holdo. I didn't want it to be Po. But when she entered I was initially taken aback - not because she was a woman - but because she was dressed so inappropriately. If Holdo was a man dressed like a senator from Coruscant I would have been just as put off. It's not the fault of Laura Dern but of the character design.

I didn't actually care how she was dressed. I mean, I can see where it would be a little jarring, but it didn't bother me that much. If she'd shown up dressed the way Jimmy Smits was in Rogue One, I wouldn't have cared, either. And as has been noted, Leia's in a dress the whole time, not even the military/utilitarian outfit she wore in TFA.

I also have a problem with the way Holdo was written. As I stated before someone taking over command at this point I should expect to at least address the remaining troops to orient and instill morale. Instead she gives a eulogy and tells nothing of her plan. You can rationalize all you want that she doesn't owe anyone an explanation but a leader - especially one who is taking a new command during a time of crisis - needs to give even a vague idea that there is a plan in motion and that things are happening otherwise you invite dissent, which is exactly what happened with Po. If they wanted to make her look like an imperfect leader then they succeeded.

Her costume, including the purple hair, and the lack of command presence really stripped her character of credibility as a leader for me.

I can see that. I think the film could've done a better job of playing up the "We don't know how they're getting this information" thing, and creating a sense of paranoia on the ship, to explain why she wasn't telling people anything. I think that was the reason, but it could've been explained better/played up more.

I don't have a problem with her bringing Po to heel but Leia was always more constructive with her criticism. If you want to say he needs to be taken down a peg that's fine but do it professionally. "Commander? Oh yes, you were demoted ?" If Carrie, as Leia, had to give that line I would imagine she would have done so standing her ground, commanding her personal space and staring down Po until he averted his eyes so he knew who was boss. But that line was given to Dern as Holdo and in her hands the delivery was a passive-aggressive sleight as she drops the line and walks away. That acting choice was just wrong. Passive-aggressiveness makes Holdo look weak and it certainly wouldn't cause Po to know his place. I feel like Dern (as well as whomever wrote Holdo) doesn't understand leadership.

I'm not looking for excuses to hate on this character. I wanted to like her. Leia, as a leader, was written and performed with more gravity. Padme, too, had palpable authority. I should think that if my problem was one of latent sexism I would have had a problem with other strong female characters such as Leia, Padme, Rey or Jyn. But I don't. Holdo simply hit the wrong notes in terms of character design, writing and performance.

And, trust me, if Holdo was a male character, dressed like a wealthy bureaucratic senator from Coruscant, with purple hair, speaking eulogies when he should be instilling morale and dressing down Po while dropping a mike I'd be every bit as irritated.

I'm not saying the character was perfect or perfectly portrayed. But I guess a lot of the stuff just didn't bother me. Poe's a squadron leader, but (1) he's acting like he's personally owed an explanation of the plan, (2) he's got a better plan and Holdo needs to agree to it, and (3) he comes at Holdo as if she's not merely his equal, but his inferior. Sure, Holdo could have said to him something like "Captain, your job is to follow orders. Something which you've proven recently you aren't very good at, I gather, given your demotion. We have a crisis on this ship and I don't have the time or the inclination to explain to you the reasons for my decision. I am your superior officer, you will follow my orders, and I am ordering you to drop this matter now, unless you would like to be relocated to the brig. Is that understood, Captain?!" Or something suitably rank-pully. But the bottom line is, Holdo ain't got time for Poe's bulls*** right now.

Likewise, Poe could have approached her and respectfully said "Admiral, I know my pilots and the crew of this ship. They're worried right now, they know we're going to run out of fuel soon, and they need to know at least some of whatever it is you're planning. Meaning no disrespect, but I think they'd appreciate some kind of explanation. They need it right now." But even then, a dressing-down might still be appropriate if he pushed the matter.

Yes, by saying her parents are nobody disregards it. How are you blaming JJ and this "mystery box" nonsense? He planted ideas so things could be explored and progress the story, to make it interesting. Those questions he raised in TFA is what got the people interested in this movie so excited about seeing it. I disagree with you there. Being extremely adept in the force has always been based on lineage, throught the entire series. JJ was going with that, but Rian cut it off cause he just decided to change it for his movie. The parents have always mattered. Thats why its called the Skywalker Saga.

It's absolutely JJ's fault for creating a mystery where none needed to exist. He absolutely lampshades the question of Rey's parentage/identity in TFA, and leaves it open.

That's his "mystery box" design approach at work. He's given TED talks on this. Abrams values the experience of pondering the mystery, and all the creative energy that generates. For him, that's the entire point of the mystery box and introducing it in a film. It's meant to generate interest and prompt questions and theories. It's not meant to be "opened" or to have the questions answered.

You can see this in other creators' work as well, like Ronald D. Moore's approach to BSG. Remember the whole Cylon "plan"? The "final Five" thing? That's classic "mystery box" work right there. Moore explained in DVD commentary for (if memory serves) the season finale of Season...3? I think? That the scene where we finally see who the "final Five" are wasn't planned from the start. In fact, Moore had no idea who the final Five were until that moment, and picked characters at random where he thought it would be interesting to see how they'd struggle with suddenly learning they were Cylons. Yet, he introduced the mystery of their identities well before that. That's classic "mystery box" storytelling: introduce a mystery because the questions it generates and the way it hooks audiences is way more important to you than the actual resolution to the mystery, to the point where you don't even know what the resolution of the mystery is in the first place.

Abrams apparently also was on record as saying that TFA told you or at least hinted at Rey's backstory. Rey herself says she's "nobody." I think that's the ultimate answer, and Abrams just decided to play up the whole question of who she is. There are other aspects of TFA that do this as well, from the questions of where the hell the First Order came from and how they could possibly have gotten this big over 30 years, who the **** Snoke is and how it is that nobody prior to this film has ever even heard of him. All of those kinds of questions could have been answered or explained better, but...JJ loves his mysteries, and believes everyone else does, too.

So, assuming that the answer all along really was that Rey was "nobody" and from a family of nobodies (which I think is the case), then all JJ did was intentionally hype up the question knowing that the answer was nothing special. He played it up as a grand mystery, knowing all along that it was going to be a lot of buildup for basically a nothing answer. Or, JJ never knew the answer in the first place, and just wanted to stir the pot by introducing a mystery for which he had no answer planned.

What I don't believe is that Rian Johnson actually undercut some other storyline that was planned out where Rey was going to be a Kenobi or a secret Skywalker or Anakin's reincarnation or a female Palpatine clone or whathaveyou. I don't think Kennedy would've allowed him to do that. So either it wasn't planned at all, and Johnson made a creative choice (and one I really enjoy), or the answer was always that she was a nobody from nowhere, and all Johnson did was answer the question because the endless speculation is stupid and allows for lazy storytelling where you're too busy focusing on "Oooooooh...what's the mystery?!?!?!?!" and not on actually developing characters.

As for the whole "But it's the Skywalker Saga!" first, it still is. Luke was a central figure in this film, as was Leia, as is Ben, who is a Skywalker on his mother's side. But second, yeah, you're right. It isn't the "Skywalker Saga" in the sense that only Skywalkers can be the saviors of the galaxy or the most powerful Force users or whathaveyou. The film consciously rejects that, and I think that's important, because seeing endless iterations of the same basic story about Skywalkers would ultimately be really, really boring. That's basically the Bantam era of Star Wars novels, and by and large those novels were at best mediocre (Zahn trilogy notwithstanding), and at worst utter crap.

The Star Wars movies were the Skywalker Saga, and now that saga is coming to a close, and the Star Wars movies will be about something else. I don't know about you, but I'm happy about that. The Skywalkers will get a suitable sendoff (Luke already has), I hope, and the Star Wars universe will evolve.

Wasn't Poe LEADER of some squadron in TFA? The whole thing about him needing to learn a lesson felt manufactured. In TFA, I had the impression he was a respected leader. This movie needlessly sent him backwards.

Being a leader of a tactical unit isn't the same as leading a rebellion as a whole. Poe thinks small and moment-to-moment. He doesn't think strategically, although I think Leia and Holdo both recognize that he has the capacity to be a fantastic leader of the new rebellion if he can start to think strategically and longer-term. That's the lesson he learns in this film.

Finn has issues with selfishness now? He ultimately sacrificed himself for Rey in TFA and entered this film suffering the consequences. ROSE was just as selfish when she crashed him out to teach him a lesson - wasn't she doing about exactly what he did in the previous episode?

Not selfish in the sense of "screw everyone else, I'm looking out for me," but selfish in the sense of failing to recognize that his motivations are largely about his own needs and his own ego. What's the best way that Poe could've helped the Resistance in that moment? Kamikazeing into the door-buster gun? Or staying alive to help out after the gun fires?

Let's play it out.

Assume Finn destroys the gun. What then? Chances are, the First Order -- already shown to have seemingly infinite ordinance available -- would have just brought up some other door buster from another ship. Or they could've simply laid seige to the base and starved the Resistance out. Or used some other piece of superpowered tech that they have up their sleeves to nuke the site from orbit (it is the only way to be sure, after all). It's the same thing that Poe fails to realize about the dreadnought. Yes, he blew it up and deprived the First Order of a big ship. But you know what? They have plenty more where that came from, so the grand, heroic sacrifice in that moment, ultimately accomplishes very little and at a high cost.

And all of that assumes that Finn will be successful in the first place. What if he's not? What if his ship melts before it hits, and him with it? What then? Now the Resistance has lost an inspirational hero for nothing.

So, is what Finn's doing really the best thing for the Resistance? Is it really going to protect them? Or is it just his ego driving him on? Again, for me, it ties back to that incident with the dude who wanted to drag me out of my car and fight me, and me wondering how I'd respond with my kid in the car. Sure, I could fight him. Maybe win. Maybe lose. But there's basically no good outcome from that, and all fighting him would really have done is feed my ego. And it's my ego that would be telling me "You're protecting her! Go kick his ass!" Fighting that guy would not be protecting my daughter. Fighting that guy would really be about me and my own ego. That's where it's selfish.

That's not the same as the kind of selfishness that DJ displays when he sells out Rose and Finn. It's a different, much more subtle kind of selfishness, and one that you can have happen and not even realize it.

As for Rey, they imply her past is important just by her setting in TFA (hash marks on her wall, hand made doll) as well as her past/famuly being mentioned multiple times.

They didn't hardly mention anything about Finn's past, and nobody really wondered about it. Strange.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Exactly. Rey's past is important only because JJ made it important. Finn's past is...entirely beside the point. Other than explaining his hatred of the First Order, that is.

I didn't actually care how she was dressed. I mean, I can see where it would be a little jarring, but it didn't bother me that much. If she'd shown up dressed the way Jimmy Smits was in Rogue One, I wouldn't have cared, either. And as has been noted, Leia's in a dress the whole time, not even the military/utilitarian outfit she wore in TFA.

I can see that. I think the film could've done a better job of playing up the "We don't know how they're getting this information" thing, and creating a sense of paranoia on the ship, to explain why she wasn't telling people anything. I think that was the reason, but it could've been explained better/played up more.

I'm not saying the character was perfect or perfectly portrayed. But I guess a lot of the stuff just didn't bother me. Poe's a squadron leader, but (1) he's acting like he's personally owed an explanation of the plan, (2) he's got a better plan and Holdo needs to agree to it, and (3) he comes at Holdo as if she's not merely his equal, but his inferior. Sure, Holdo could have said to him something like "Captain, your job is to follow orders. Something which you've proven recently you aren't very good at, I gather, given your demotion. We have a crisis on this ship and I don't have the time or the inclination to explain to you the reasons for my decision. I am your superior officer, you will follow my orders, and I am ordering you to drop this matter now, unless you would like to be relocated to the brig. Is that understood, Captain?!" Or something suitably rank-pully. But the bottom line is, Holdo ain't got time for Poe's bulls*** right now.

Likewise, Poe could have approached her and respectfully said "Admiral, I know my pilots and the crew of this ship. They're worried right now, they know we're going to run out of fuel soon, and they need to know at least some of whatever it is you're planning. Meaning no disrespect, but I think they'd appreciate some kind of explanation. They need it right now." But even then, a dressing-down might still be appropriate if he pushed the matter.
That's fine but my point is that there are legitimate issues people can have about this character that have nothing to do with unconscious sexism.

It's absolutely JJ's fault for creating a mystery where none needed to exist. He absolutely lampshades the question of Rey's parentage/identity in TFA, and leaves it open.

That's his "mystery box" design approach at work. He's given TED talks on this. Abrams values the experience of pondering the mystery, and all the creative energy that generates. For him, that's the entire point of the mystery box and introducing it in a film. It's meant to generate interest and prompt questions and theories. It's not meant to be "opened" or to have the questions answered.

You can see this in other creators' work as well, like Ronald D. Moore's approach to BSG. Remember the whole Cylon "plan"? The "final Five" thing? That's classic "mystery box" work right there. Moore explained in DVD commentary for (if memory serves) the season finale of Season...3? I think? That the scene where we finally see who the "final Five" are wasn't planned from the start. In fact, Moore had no idea who the final Five were until that moment, and picked characters at random where he thought it would be interesting to see how they'd struggle with suddenly learning they were Cylons. Yet, he introduced the mystery of their identities well before that. That's classic "mystery box" storytelling: introduce a mystery because the questions it generates and the way it hooks audiences is way more important to you than the actual resolution to the mystery, to the point where you don't even know what the resolution of the mystery is in the first place.

Abrams apparently also was on record as saying that TFA told you or at least hinted at Rey's backstory. Rey herself says she's "nobody." I think that's the ultimate answer, and Abrams just decided to play up the whole question of who she is. There are other aspects of TFA that do this as well, from the questions of where the hell the First Order came from and how they could possibly have gotten this big over 30 years, who the **** Snoke is and how it is that nobody prior to this film has ever even heard of him. All of those kinds of questions could have been answered or explained better, but...JJ loves his mysteries, and believes everyone else does, too.

So, assuming that the answer all along really was that Rey was "nobody" and from a family of nobodies (which I think is the case), then all JJ did was intentionally hype up the question knowing that the answer was nothing special. He played it up as a grand mystery, knowing all along that it was going to be a lot of buildup for basically a nothing answer. Or, JJ never knew the answer in the first place, and just wanted to stir the pot by introducing a mystery for which he had no answer planned.

What I don't believe is that Rian Johnson actually undercut some other storyline that was planned out where Rey was going to be a Kenobi or a secret Skywalker or Anakin's reincarnation or a female Palpatine clone or whathaveyou. I don't think Kennedy would've allowed him to do that. So either it wasn't planned at all, and Johnson made a creative choice (and one I really enjoy), or the answer was always that she was a nobody from nowhere, and all Johnson did was answer the question because the endless speculation is stupid and allows for lazy storytelling where you're too busy focusing on "Oooooooh...what's the mystery?!?!?!?!" and not on actually developing characters.

As for the whole "But it's the Skywalker Saga!" first, it still is. Luke was a central figure in this film, as was Leia, as is Ben, who is a Skywalker on his mother's side. But second, yeah, you're right. It isn't the "Skywalker Saga" in the sense that only Skywalkers can be the saviors of the galaxy or the most powerful Force users or whathaveyou. The film consciously rejects that, and I think that's important, because seeing endless iterations of the same basic story about Skywalkers would ultimately be really, really boring. That's basically the Bantam era of Star Wars novels, and by and large those novels were at best mediocre (Zahn trilogy notwithstanding), and at worst utter crap.

The Star Wars movies were the Skywalker Saga, and now that saga is coming to a close, and the Star Wars movies will be about something else. I don't know about you, but I'm happy about that. The Skywalkers will get a suitable sendoff (Luke already has), I hope, and the Star Wars universe will evolve.
Well put.

I, for one, think it was the intent to have Rey be a "nobody" from the start. JJ inflated the fan speculation, I believe, where the long term plan was to confound those ideas so they could underscore the notion to The Force (and Star Wars) not belonging to the Skywalkers. I believe the intent of ANH was that The Force was universal and that Skywalker was an "everyman" discovering his way into a big universe of ideals and conflict. Future films tossed out his universal appeal by annointing him the most important "chosen one" in the universe. I think the franchise is simply returning to the roots of what The Force and Star Wars were supposed to have been about. The revelation simply drives the point home. Bravo, JJ.

So for the first time I'm on the opposite side of the fence on a Star Wars movie, as I disliked TLJ. I guess maybe I've missed it since I was on the support side of the arguments for the prior films, but it seems like the support for this film is near militant. I've not seen so much steamrolling of negative opinions before related to a Star Wars movie. Just about everywhere I go I've been shouted down and ridiculed and called names for disliking this movie. I've tried to have legitimate conversations about the things I take issue with, but it is dismantled almost immediately by people who want to discredit my opinions by taking cheap shots at me or making wild assumptions about why I disliked what I did.

I don't have a problem with the people who liked this movie, but I have a BIG problem with this behavior.

Last edited:
So for the first time I'm on the opposite side of the fence on a Star Wars movie, as I disliked TLJ. I guess maybe I've missed it since I was on the support side of the arguments for the prior films, but it seems like the support for this film is like militant. I've not seen so much steamrolling of negative opinions before related to a Star Wars movie. Just about everywhere I go I've been shouted down and ridiculed and called names for disliking this movie. I've tried to have legitimate conversations about the things I take issue with, but it is dismantled almost immediately by people who want to discredit my opinions by taking cheap shots at me or making wild assumptions about why I disliked what I did.

I don't have a problem with the people who liked this movie, but I have a BIG problem with this behavior.
I'll be honest the last time I got similar feelings (not nearly this vehement) but similar really defensive "you're not a fan if you ain't liking dis" attitude was when Phantom Menace came out. Same thing inside my head, I was trying to explain and prove to myself that TLJ was not as bad, I just need to get used to the newer stuff, etc, then when it hit me that I did the same with Phantom Menace I just let it go. This is obviously not to say that Phantom is universally panned so TLJ must be universally panned too but interesting parallel there for me...

That's fine but my point is that there are legitimate issues people can have about this character that have nothing to do with unconscious sexism.

Yeah, I think you can criticize aspects of the character, but I do think that latent sexism plays a role in a lot of people's problems with the character. Not everyone, of course, but some folks. When people complain about the "PC" nature of the character or how it feels like she was just stuck in to appease women or whatever, that's where I think the sexism comes in. When it's a debate about "I dunno. I think her leadership style could use some work," that's a different issue, especially if it would apply just as equally to a male character (or a fish-man or squid-man or other alien creature).

Well put.

I, for one, think it was the intent to have Rey be a "nobody" from the start. JJ inflated the fan speculation, I believe, where the long term plan was to confound those ideas so they could underscore the notion to The Force (and Star Wars) not belonging to the Skywalkers. I believe the intent of ANH was that The Force was universal and that Skywalker was an "everyman" discovering his way into a big universe of ideals and conflict. Future films tossed out his universal appeal by annointing him the most important "chosen one" in the universe. I think the franchise is simply returning to the roots of what The Force and Star Wars were supposed to have been about. The revelation simply drives the point home. Bravo, JJ.

Right. I think that ANH actually kind of creates an internal conflict between Luke as the "lost boy king with a destiny" and Luke as the "everyman." The original trilogy does an ok job of balancing those two things, but the PT steers hard into the whole "destiny/chosen-one/prophecy" thing.

I'm glad the series is (hopefully) moving away from that, because I think the message it's sending instead is an incredibly hopeful, positive, empowering message.

So for the first time I'm on the opposite side of the fence on a Star Wars movie, as I disliked TLJ. I guess maybe I've missed it since I was on the support side of the arguments for the prior films, but it seems like the support for this film is near militant. I've not seen so much steamrolling of negative opinions before related to a Star Wars movie. Just about everywhere I go I've been shouted down and ridiculed and called names for disliking this movie. I've tried to have legitimate conversations about the things I take issue with, but it is dismantled almost immediately by people who want to discredit my opinions by taking cheap shots at me or making wild assumptions about why I disliked what I did.

Perhaps I am misremembering but these debates seem very similar to the TFA and R1 threads. In those instances a very vocal minority spent page after page telling everyone the films sucked.

Like I said, I was on the other side of the debate for the prior films. I don't recall ever shouting down people who didn't like TFA or R1 though. I don't think I ever claimed they weren't fans for disliking it.

The way Holdo dress can be best summed up as: this is the Resistance, an underground group of freedom fighters that are currently in a mad dash to escape their base. She's most likely a politician and could've been hobnobbing before being pressed into duty.

Why wasn't she telling Poe more? Poe was just demoted by one of Holdo's closest friends and allies. He's a pilot and the plans are a need to know thing... the "paranoia" that this may have caused was necessary to create the mutiny.

The mutiny was necessary to give us some storyline for Poe as he would have little else to do in this movie.

Exactly. Rey's past is important only because JJ made it important. Finn's past is...entirely beside the point. Other than explaining his hatred of the First Order, that is.
I'll disagree here. I don't think JJ made it important - I think the fanbase made it important. I'm not convinced that it became important until the fanbase made important and the only reason we got the reveal we did in TLJ is because of this. Unfortunately for many, these movies aren't a wish fulfillment service.

Or perhaps sometimes we need someone to remind us of what should be obvious.

Nope, no reminder needed for me to know that my opinion is just that: my opinion. I am fully aware that I am not part of a worldwide hive mind, lol.

I posted quite a bit how TFA negated the "happy ending" that we got in RotJ two years ago. Heads were butted over this and I will still agree that I wanted better for our heroes - I wanted them to live the perfect lives. But, life isn't perfect - life goes on. We missed the parts were life was great for them - that wasn't the story that was meant to be told in this trilogy.

Star Wars is as Star Wars is always about: the fight between good and bad. It's not "and they lived happily ever after."

I never needed "happily ever after." I just needed "didn't turn the two male OT heroes into hopeless, dejected washouts/losers, and then kill them off." I was perfectly prepared to have some of the "happy ending" taken away to create new struggles. But there's taking away some of the happy ending, and taking away so much from Han/Luke that the OT characters' lives become a freakin' Greek tragedy.

Last edited:
For the record, I didn't dislike everything about the film. I liked:

• Leia flying. Yep, I said it. One thing I never liked about the old EU is that Leia didn't (at least for the first few years' worth of books) acquire anything near the same amount of force ability as Luke, though Luke had said she would in ROTJ. When something is floating weightless in space, it only takes the slightest nudge to get it moving, so not much Force ability to propel yourself a couple mph. I would have been disappointed if her only Force abilities after so many years consisted only of her being able to sense her loved ones.
  • Yoda showing up. I would have thought it weird that at least ONE force ghost from the past (Anakin, Obi-Wan, or Yoda) didn't appear to Luke in his time of despair.
  • Throne room scene. Pretty cool.

But in balance it had way more misses than hits, with some story choices (besides my main gripe with the treatment of Luke's character) just impossible for me to attribute any real logic to.

But again, if some loved it, I'm genuinely happy for them. I would have wished for a movie that more of the fandom could have loved, instead of story choices that divided the fandom and satisfied some while alienating so many others.

When something is floating weightless in space, it only takes the slightest nudge to get it moving, so not much Force ability to propel yourself a couple mph.
This is very true. Makes you wonder why the panic about the Resistance flagship running out of fuel. All they should have done is rev up their engines to full and switch them off to save fuel, momentum would have propelled them in space. One of my favourite scenes in the original Alien is when the Nostromo lands on the planetoid and does exactly that. I get that Star Wars is not a real scifi (sound in space, etc) but fuel was never ever an issue or even mentioned previously. Also doesn’t explain how Leia got back inside the actual ship, she didn’t fly to an airlock just a wrecked room with a door even if it’s nitpicky. I wish flying Leia was my biggest issue anyway.

This is very true. Makes you wonder why the panic about the Resistance flagship running out of fuel. All they should have done is rev up their engines to full and switch them off to save fuel, momentum would have propelled them in space. One of my favourite scenes in the original Alien is when the Nostromo lands on the planetoid and does exactly that. I get that Star Wars is not a real scifi (sound in space, etc) but fuel was never ever an issue or even mentioned previously. Also doesn’t explain how Leia got back inside the actual ship, she didn’t fly to an airlock just a wrecked room with a door even if it’s nitpicky. I wish flying Leia was my biggest issue anyway.
It also doesn't explain why the vacuum of space has always been a threat to the Jedi.

I'm all for exploring new aspects of the force but when you give them plot-defying superpowers, it limits so much. Movies have got to stop giving everything a hyperbole power to get past a plot contrivance. The enterprise isn't a submarine, Jedi can't breath in space and using a warp drive as a battle-ending missile destroys almost all strategic plots in the past and future of star wars lore.

And another thing: can we just agree that Yoda and palpatine we're the most powerful force users in Canon? Luke was not the most powerful jedi. He was clearly the most untrained and was only beginning to tap into his powers. But he was the secret weapon. He was the Jedi they needed

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

So, watched this for the second time the other day, and now I think I can give my opinion on it. Overall? I believe it is a good movie. it has some problems, but a bad movie it is not.

The good:
Acting. I felt that everybody did a terrific job. Oscar Issac was great in the last one, and he is in this one. John Boyega as well. Daisy seems far more comfortable this go around and I didn't see a single hiccup in her performance. Laura Dern was quite good. Carrie was fantastic, minus leia poppins, but that was more a problem of visuals more than anything. Mark did great playing a annoyed old man who just wanted to be left alone to die. The girl who played Rose was... fine in the role, but I have my problems with her character.

Visuals: This movie is beautiful. plain and simple. This movie is beautiful in everything from VFX to shot composition. CGI just keeps getting better and it is getting annoying :lol

Music: Felt like old school John Williams

The bad.

Finn and Rose: this is my main problem with the movie. their arc went nowhere and she is really a useless character. what they do has literally no bearing on the story.

Canto Bite (Or however you spell it): I just... I don't know, it just seemed too heavy handed. It was too earthy and it strays TOO much into political commentary and some dialog coming from it makes no sense in the context of the universe. The implication is that the war machine is the cause of much of the war, funding both sides. Well, in star wars, no. Just no. Obviously there would be people supplying both sides, but they don't cause war. It is the guys that want to take over the bloody galaxy and rule as a dictator. So BDT's character tried saying something profound but in the context of the universe it makes no sense.

Phasma: Yeah, just as useless as the last movie.

Double dialog: This happens a few times in the movie, and is really a nitpick, but I hate it when a character says something in a military/swarzy way and then another character says the same thing in laymens terms. Really bugs me. moving on.
And that's about it.
And now for the story:
So, here is where this gets long winded as I will give my perspective on many of the things people have brought up here and pointing out things that I noticed. Poe's arc was quite good, especially now that Carrie passed (Rest in Peace) his character will most likely have to be the leader of the Resistance. He needed to learn the lessons he learned in this movie to become that leader. The only thing I wish they would have changed would have been the execution of that in regards to the hair-brained scheme. circling back to my problems with the whole Canto Bite thing. But I think it was good, Holdo acted as most military high command would (I was not in the military, but I have been under military leaders in a para-military program). They tell you what to do, give little explanation, and expect you to listen, and when you don't they basically tell you to go pound sand and LISTEN. However I will agree that Leia is a much stronger leader with how she handles Poe, but that is also because of their mutual respect and friendship. Something Holdo does not have with Poe.

Finn had nothing to do, and even when he tried to do something Rose comes in and stops him. If the door had not been smashed they would have had more time. They had a shield to protect from orbital bombardment. He should have died to add some emotional gravitas to the trilogy, saying that our main characters are not safe.

I loved Luke in this. And for those saying his character is betrayed I think you missed some important dialog and just focused in on Kylo's story of what happened. Luke says it was out of a brief moment of "Pure instinct" that went away like a flash. As a human, that happens all the time, even in situations that one has experienced before. Yes, I am saying that Luke is the first Human Jedi master we have ever had. Human in the sense that he has flaws and moments of weakness and isn't always super stoic or the most wise being in the Galaxy. And that one moment was all it took. He didn't have time to talk to Ben because Ben reacted. Luke's reaction to it is, honestly, believable. And let us not forget that it was his first time teaching and he wasn't really prepared for THAT level of darkness inside of Ben, and so he didn't know what the heck to do, and his first instinct was to snuff out the darkness in the easiest way to keep his other students from being influenced (not stronger, but easier, more seductive). In the context of the story, it is very believable to me. And I just love grumpy, old, annoyed, trying to make Rey uncomfortable Luke. The milk thing was meant to be uncomfortable, just look at Rey's reaction, that was Luke trying to get her to leave. When she reaches out with her hand, he rolls his eyes at first, then chooses to mess with her because he is annoyed with her already, and is even more so now. His only moment of joy is seeing R2, his one friend that doesn't have bad news attached with him. And R2 is the one to break him out of his funk just enough to teach Rey a couple of things. And I think that is cool, it is one thing hearing that your sister needs help from a stranger, somebody you have never met. it is another to hear it from an old friend. Then his end, giving what life he has left to be the hero the Resistance needed him to be, but not to the degree of letting himself be struck down by Kylo, was powerful. He died not because he gave up, he died because what he did with the force required so much effort, all his strength, that it drained him to the point where he could not go on. He didn't have a place as a warrior as he was, but his projection was the Luke they needed him to be. And plus, he did say he went to that island to die.

And now Rey. and her dark side cave. I thought it was quite simple, she wanted answers, and when she went to the dark for the answers she found that it had none. The dark side does not have answers for her, that was the lesson to me. Also that she needs to stop looking to the past, there was a lesson that Kylo taught her, but not in the way he intended. Let the past die. Ok, but only the things that need to. The Jedi won't die here, but her need for a parent will. She grew in her understanding.
Oh, and stop saying she was untrained when she fought Kylo in TFA! She was proficient at melee combat as established in the beginning of TFA, add to that that the Force partially controls your actions, and that Kylo was quite injured, and you got a more fair fight than one realizes. And event then she was on the run for most of the fight. and now the new Royal Guards are not force users, so it was more conventional melee combat that she seems to be used to.

Snoke dying was a nice surprise, and it gave Kylo a real moment to decide that he wanted to be the orcastrator of his own future, and it gave way to this nice power struggle between Hux and Kylo that could be interesting.

Small things that I liked because they were awesome?
B17s in space, as a WWII buff I thought that was bloody awesome.
The humor was, well, humorous. Especially sarcastic Luke and Poe messing with Hux at the beginning, and "Finn naked leaking bag? What? You blow a fuse?" That made me bust up.
Ship design and how they were shown was leaps and bounds better than TFA. I don't remember a single clear shot of a Star Destroyer in TFA, but in this one you can really get a sense for them.
The Tie Fighter Attack soundtrack playing, every time I hear that I get so EXCITED! AHHHifbnvhfbvkawef.... *cough* ahem, excuse me.
And Yoda. what can I say about Yoda other than he is great, and his more playful side is there while dropping truth bombs which I thought was great

So yeah, overall quite a good movie, with just a slight hiccup with Finn and Rose. I get that this is not everybody's cup of tea, but to say that it is worse than the prequels is a bit over the top. At least this succeeds as a film with good acting, dialog, cinematography, interesting characters, and a coherent story. Whether or not you like the story is another matter. Just my 2 creds at any rate :p

Nope, no reminder needed for me to know that my opinion is just that: my opinion. I am fully aware that I am not part of a worldwide hive mind, lol.
Yet, you have to call out the obviousness of something that's already obvious? :facepalm It's always great when someone in a thread states an absolute. Of course it is. Good grief.

I never needed "happily ever after." I just needed "didn't turn the two male OT heroes into hopeless, dejected washouts/losers, and then kill them off." I was perfectly prepared to have some of the "happy ending" taken away to create new struggles. But there's taking away some of the happy ending, and taking away so much from Han/Luke that the OT characters' lives become a freakin' Greek tragedy.
That's the real purpose here isn't it? OMG, they made two male character into "hopeless, dejected washout/losers." No - we saw all of the big three characters return to where they were at the beginning of our saga (although they obviously crossed the point of a true return). Han's a smuggler, Luke's isolated and Leia's a rebel, although they're all very changed by what's happened in the past - that's not that hard to see, unless you're really that insecure about something.

I didn't see "hopeless, dejected washout/losers" maybe you did. I didn't think either of them were in ANH and I don't think either of them where in the new trilogy. I saw two old men that fought the good fight and lived long, fulfilling lives that had ups and downs - just like real people. Han died trying to save his son and Luke died giving the new Rebellion a chance and sparking hope.

Greek tragedy? You do realize that Lucas studied myth, legend and the Joseph Campbell - so that's a fair comparison and pretty much right on mark.

“The happy ending is justly scorned as a misrepresentation; for the world, as we know it, as we have seen it, yields but one ending: death, disintegration, dismemberment, and the crucifixion of our heart with the passing of the forms that we have loved.” - Joseph Campbell, Hero with a Thousand Faces

In Star Wars, we always see the engines running. For whatever reason, physics never applied to Star Wars ships...

The idea that "fuel" became so important so fast when it was never previously mentioned is a sore point for me. But, didn't really take away too much for me.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back