Kids halloween Rex clone trooper questions

Hi,
Any ideas for the easiest/quickest way to turn this helmet into a Rex helmet....just the special paint, not changing the visor or anything like that. I could paint the crown white, but I'm not sure how I would match the existing "dirty" white on the helmet.

I'd rather not respray the whole thing, but then again, that may be easiest.
rex.jpghelmet.jpg

Also, most trooper armor has the shoulder bells attached separately, could I get away with attaching those to the biceps to simplify the suit and to simplify dressing? This way I just need a strap across the back of the shoulders/neck to hold the arm pieces.
arm.jpg

I always wait until the last second to do this stuff! :-(

Thanks for any comments...its for an 8 yr old, so movie accuracy is not up on the priority list...the rangefinder has already been jettisoned from the build, since we all can imagine it getting snapped off by the first hand-sy third grader!, but the kama and pauldron will stay to make it "rex." I suppose I could go without rex's trademark helmet paint, but I'd rather not. I should add blue around the eyes too I suppose.

On the painting I need to read up on damage and blackwash....but any ideas what type of color blue rex would have???
What about white? Do I clear coat over the top when done? thanks

Thanks!

Last edited:
shoulder bells.jpgYou can easily change the mask with spray paint. Make sure to wash it and rough it up with a bit with something just to take the shine off. Or not. The paint will probably stick anyway. Mask off the visor area(s) and spray white gloss. If you are not in a hurry, use a primer. Let it dry and mask off the blue areas with some electrical tape or masking tape. You could then hand paint those details or again use a cheap royal blue paint.
Take an exacto knife and chip off some of the blue for damage.

For the quick dirt, get an old spray bottle and fill it with some water and cheap (think Apple Barrel) flat black acrylic paint. Mix it well. Get the water dark and cloudy. Spray over your mask and let it dry. Wipe some off to your taste with a damp sponge or paper towel. Spray again. If you hate it, spray it with clear water and try again.

As for the shoulder bells, here is what stormtroopers do. See above. (Note: Not my photo but borrowed from...I think Stukatrooper)

Down and dirty. As some have said, your mileage may vary depending on your effort.

Hope that helps a little.

View attachment 243058

As for the shoulder bells, here is what stormtroopers do. See above. (Note: Not my photo but borrowed from...I think Stukatrooper)

Down and dirty. As some have said, your mileage may vary depending on your effort.

Hope that helps a little.

I had seen the shoulders with the elastic, but I had not seen that picture, which helps seeing the interior view. It helps with scale too.

Even though with some movements, it looks like the shoulder bell would pivot some...it doesn't seem like having a glued connection point versus the elastic straps (added work/complexity) would make an appreciable difference??

The elastic is long but glued only in the middle of the bell which allows for the lateral movement. It is glued near the top of the bicep. Also- make sure the straps that connect the two bells is glued forward of the center. This helps to keep the bells "closed" and against the chest plate

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back