WIP Blade Runner: 2019 STEYR M44

Eltee, that is awesome!
I have an appointment with a local gunsmith this week regarding the machining of my receiver. I've heeded your advice and am going to hand it off to some one with a lot of machining experience so that I don't screw it up. Finally have all the tools to dismantle the Bulldog and work in the barrel. Brownell's is sloooooow with their shipping.

Upon checking, that part of the barrel serves as the chamber and is bored for the casing, not the bullet. I'll probably close the hole with a blob of weld and then drill the center hole to the proper diameter.

So, give us the lowdown? Can we get an update on your real parts live-fire please? I always check this thread, but it seems to have died!? NO, bring it out of retirement!!!!!!

So, give us the lowdown? Can we get an update on your real parts live-fire please? I always check this thread, but it seems to have died!? NO, bring it out of retirement!!!!!!

Thanks guys. This is still percolating. I was sidelined by a couple of factors:
1. Finding a machinist willing to deal with and also being legally able to deal with firearms... although I think I have finally found my man, and...
2. Certain other prop-related parts that generally impossible to obtain became obtainable, and I've been focusing on collecting parts until I get the machinist issue solved.

Do not worry. I'm about to start working on other aspects of this build that do not require the machinist. More to come soon, I promise.

Can anyone recommend a good hand tool for cutting a pattern out of 3/8" aluminum plate? Would a jig saw be alright for this? How about a dremel?

Maybe a coping saw? Jigsaw would probably be ok too. Cutoff wheel on a dremel will just get gummy with little bits of melted aluminum, though : /

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Maybe a coping saw? Jigsaw would probably be ok too. Cutoff wheel on a dremel will just get gummy with little bits of melted aluminum, though : /

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will need to give that a try. I'm going to combine the grip frame and the trigger guard, but in aluminum, so I will be cutting it out of a thick aluminum plate.

Maybe this will motivate him!! I also can shoot live ammo but blanks are a bit safer!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6vJK3Hh-1s

Yes, this has got the blood pumping!
Did you use an unmodified bobbed Charter hammer, or did you modify a regular Charter hammer?

I will need to give that a try. I'm going to combine the grip frame and the trigger guard, but in aluminum, so I will be cutting it out of a thick aluminum plate.

Yes, this has got the blood pumping!
Did you use an unmodified bobbed Charter hammer, or did you modify a regular Charter hammer?

Modified the Hammer, Steel Barrel professionally installed, and the rest is Rich Coyle. You deffenatqy want a Professional machines to do the Barrel, unless you are capable.
Have fun.

mugatu is there any chance you could update your picture links for those of us who want to follow / emulate your build (and tell us how you're getting on?).
It's a fantastic project and a shame we can't see the progress with all the recent silliness from Photobucket. :thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator:
So... I suppose it is time to knock the cobwebs off this project.

Unfortunately, back in 2017, a family member ran into some medical/mental health issues and I felt compelled to sell off many of my prop-building parts in order to try to pay down some medical bills. All of my Blade Runner bits were part of that mass sell-off. It was an easy thing to do considering what the alternative was, and with the constant soul-searching I was doing, the time and focus required to finish this off was not something I could give. Not to mention, during that time, my Steyr was stored improperly and acquired some rustiness to its finish (an even greater crime than selling these parts!). Besides, a dearly loved family member is back on the road of progress and seems to be heading toward greatness and greater things now, so I have no qualms about deciding to part with those prop parts. In fact, I’d do it again without hesitation, if I were fortunate enough to have those pieces again... which brings me to....

Here I am again, slowly collecting the necessary pieces, and seemingly will have much more spare time than I am used to having. I’ll share more on that later (maybe).

Anyway, piece number 1:

F62116D4-2C71-4D3F-BA43-43AFACBDFFBE.jpeg
FFFC9DF4-FFF1-4251-8FB3-E76DCB1EDAD2.jpeg

Vintage CHARTER ARMS BULLDOG .44 SPL

Some of you from the Gun Showoff Thread are already aware that I have acquired this pristine vintage Bulldog. It is a Stratford, Connecticut build, which is arguably Charter’s finest production era, quality-wise. Thus, the age is right for the Blade Runner build.

BUT no one knows that I just scored this:

81B005BD-0659-4FBA-93D8-874C619BA0FD.jpeg

Vintage STEYR MANNLICHER DAIMLER PUGH Model SL .222 Remington

It was a real battle to get this, and a human error on the end of the auction house where I picked it up from almost cost me my win for the lot, but in the end, she is mine.

This is the only photo that was taken and listed with the lot online, but I will post better (and more) pics of this when it will be here in a about a week!

Last edited:
Awesome Andy, this thread was before my time here, so I didn't know you started this. I'm looking forward to seing your progress on this great project. Good luck aquiring all the parts, you got the hardest already, that's great (y)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back