Transparent Rubber

GotWookiee

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
A few months back I came across this really cool sounding transparent rubber product. It was completely transparent, not the water-white clear of most silicones. I believe it used heat to activate it or melt it down from pellets or something. If memory serves there ways to control the softness/hardness of the cured rubber. There were a bunch of videos of a middle age dude demoing it. I think it might have been for fishing or aquatic purposes.

Try as I might, I can't find it again. Any takers?

There is a product called "shin etsu silicone" that is water clear when cured. Its commonly used in the industry to make clear silicone glass and windows for FX use. Its available in various derometers from soft to firm but its also very expensive.

@GotWookiee, what are you wanting to make?

I used a water clear polyurethane for my replica NIKE MAG soles. But you need a vacuum chamber for this of you get parts that are full of bubbles.

attachment.php

Both cups contain the same amount of clear. Only the cup on the right was degassed before being left to cure.
gunnerk19 I thought that Plasti-make stuff was translucent, goes clear when placed in hot water, but turns white after it sets.

Attachments

• 20151016_224208.jpg
    20151016_224208.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 377
Last edited by a moderator:
The plastimake looks similar, but the product I was looking for was a rubber and not a plastic.

I really wish I had bookmarked it.

There is no specific project in mind, but I've always had this idea of using a transparent rubber to create a gradual blending edge on a silicone mask, prosthetic, or something like a mermaid tail.

A remember coming across that material a few months back and thinking that it would be pretty useful.

I've got it my head that its primary application was making fishing lures.

Matt Pfingsten

I don't know how durable you need it to be, but Encapso K is pretty much water clear with no degassing, takes around 24 hours to fully cure. The only downside is its shore hardness of 33, and I've seen plenty of videos where you can hand crumble it to make faux ice. If its for a prop that isn't going to get much handling or rough treatment it could be a way to go.

The only clear silicones I've run in to are either tough but slightly milky or the clear but crumbly ice-effect type.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back