Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

Well you don't speak for me! I feel that there are several current films out now that are very good. How incredibly obtuse of you to paint everyone with the same broad stroke.

Don't get me wrong i'm not saying TFA and Rogue One are bad movies, i can totally get why a lot of people like them. They do however have weak stories and a complete lack of character development.

I just think they could have been so much better, and we as fans will never get a better quality movie if we don't force Disney to step up their game.

However i don't see any redeeming qualities in TLJ.

Not remotely hard to do. From: http://www.indiewire.com/2018/02/jj-abrams-star-wars-last-jedi-women-1201929593/

“The filmmaker shared that, in recent meetings targeted around employing crews and filmmakers for projects, he and McGrath have asked their agency CAA for lists of potential collaborators “that represent the makeup of the country” and “that immediately changed the conversation.”

In other words, he's looking for specifically non-white actors and actresses. He's casting based on skin color, not talent.

- - - Updated - - -

Then maybe you need to reconsider your position if it's so emotional for you. Try being rational. We're trying to have an intellectual discussion here.

Sure, but you make it sound like he wasn't casting based on both aspects. Why on Earth would you automatically assume that because a director wants a diverse cast that he wouldn't also be choosing the best talent? That's a very twisted bit of logic for a guy like you who prides himself on being an intellectual.

Sure, but you make it sound like he wasn't casting based on both aspects. Why on Earth would you automatically assume that because a director wants a diverse cast that he wouldn't also be choosing the best talent? That's a very twisted bit of logic for a guy like you who prides himself on being an intellectual.

The same argument I've heard a thousand times before from the regressive left.

How can you possibly be choosing the best talent when you're already excluding the vast majority of actors in the US/UK from auditioning for leading roles based solely on the color of their skin or gender.

It's impossible when you start by filtering out 75% of available actors and crew from the start.

I don't care about skin color, never have. I treat everyone the same, and like everyone the same, unless they give me reason not to.

When I was a kid in the early 70's my friends and I used to play Star Trek. We were a pretty diverse group, much like the show itself. Of course we didn't know we were diverse, we were just a bunch of kids who liked Star Trek. When we played we rotated the characters so everyone had the chance to be Kirk, or Spock or whoever they wanted to be. It didn't matter what they looked like. Anyone can cosplay any character they want, hell even chicks dress up as Han Solo.

As for casting I like the choices made, good performers all around (even if AE doesn't look the part). I just wish they would stop beating us over the head about how diverse and inclusive they are.

Then maybe you need to reconsider your position if it's so emotional for you. Try being rational. We're trying to have an intellectual discussion here.
I apologise for giving you the wrong impression about my emotional state. I was merely attempting to avoid starting a potential confrontation. It was my hope that you'd look back at your post to see what might have been offensive about it, but clearly you didn't get what I was throwing down.
So, when you state that they hired the best non-white actors instead of the best white actors it seemed like you were implying that decision led to a subpar film, which is a problematic view at best, seeing as how race doesn't have anything to do with acting ability.

The same argument I've heard a thousand times before from the regressive left.

How can you possibly be choosing the best talent when you're already excluding the vast majority of actors in the US/UK from auditioning for leading roles based solely on the color of their skin or gender.

It's impossible when you start by filtering out 75% of available actors and crew from the start.

That's because it's a pretty good argument. Times have changed since the days when Orson Welles cast Charlton Heston to play a Mexican in A Touch of Evil. Heston did a pretty good job but maybe a Mexican actor could have done an equally good job and added an interesting inflection to the role that Heston couldn't. Diversity doesn't have to be an ugly word.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't care about skin color, never have. I treat everyone the same, and like everyone the same, unless they give me reason not to.

When I was a kid in the early 70's my friends and I used to play Star Trek. We were a pretty diverse group, much like the show itself. Of course we didn't know we were diverse, we were just a bunch of kids who liked Star Trek. When we played we rotated the characters so everyone had the chance to be Kirk, or Spock or whoever they wanted to be. It didn't matter what they looked like. Anyone can cosplay any character they want, hell even chicks dress up as Han Solo.

As for casting I like the choices made, good performers all around (even if AE doesn't look the part). I just wish they would stop beating us over the head about how diverse and inclusive they are.

I agree with you but isn't Hollywood always patting itself on the back for one damn thing or another? It's vain and annoying but ultimately pretty harmless. I just don't see it as something worth getting upset about.

Wowsers, there's a lot going on in here, and much of it seems to be stemming from the same place as in the TLJ and Solo threads, and the reaction to that, and the rejection of that reaction by the "discussion"-starters. Some things:

• I agree Star Wars movies could be better. I've been saying this since about 1986, and have since expanded it back to include the first two.

• I do not think any one Star Wars movie is 100% awful, with zero redeeming factors.

• I agree imprecise language causes many kneejerk reactions and hurt feelings -- but I also see the problem inherent in trying for more precision in phrasing. I see it well. That's why my mini-essay posts. I'm trying to be as clear as possible in the thoughts I'm conveying. I don't like using broad brushes except in the most general terms. About all I can say about all Star Wars fans is that we all come from this planet. I won't even argue all Star Wars fans are human, as I've seen dogs and cats and birds responding favorably to it. But in the current climate precise language is clunky, and I can understand why sweeping statements get made.

• As soon as they changed directors and authorized the reshoots, Lucasfilm and Disney knew Solo would have a much harder time turning a profit or breaking even. If anyone at those companies paying attention to how The Last Jedi did in its theatrical release and to how Infinity War and Deadpool 2 were doing thought Solo was going to shatter box-office records, I think their professional competence ought to be re-evaluated. Solo is not an unexpected dud, even if it seems to have performed even worse than projected.

• An internet source, quoting another internet source, quoting another internet source one has to pay a decent chunk to be able to read and that no one else seems to have done, that source also using a lot of qualifiers like "might" and "should" without citing internal information sources, is ultimately the opposite of information. This is a non-story. Yes, Kennedy might leave Lucasfilm. She also might stay. She also might opt for the slingbacks instead of the pumps. By phrasing one of the mathematically-possible courses of action she can theoretically take as the headline is disengenuous, leading, and, IMO, gossip and rumor-mongering at its worst.

(Okay, I take that back. Gossip and rumor-mongering at its worst was when a bunch of reporters showed up to where they were told they were going to get a scoop, no scoop was forthcoming, so rather than return home empty-handed, they jointly came up with a story that an ambassadorial mission was preparing to leave for China, and, when word of this got back to China, the government scrambled to get everything just so, demanding more from their regional governors, who demanded more from the peasantry, who resented it and rose up in what we now call the Boxer Rebellion, and overthrew the Chinese Emperor. All because some less-than-ethical reporters wanted their paychecks.)

A couple specific reactions...

I think that is the biggest complaint / concern people have for the franchise. Our perceptions and view of life is radically different than it is when we're adults. Everything changes. Good / great movies CAN have the ability to make us feel like kids again. They can make us forget about a world ready and willing to beat us to our knees and keep us there permanently. That's what SW means to all of us.

Just tell a great story and make us feel like kids again... :)

This is why I go to all the Marvel movies. Even the worst among them have me pretty solidly engaged, and the best of them definitely re-ignite that child-like sense of being in the presence of something amazing.

I want it on the *small* screen (technically, the distance of the TV from my couch, with the size of the TV, makes it bigger than a theater screen) JUST so I can actually SEE the movie.

I'm hoping it'll be brightened up in the transfer.

It's not the film stock or disc coding. Both theaters I've seen it at so far have had no projection issues. It's a matter of technical stuff on the venue end.

I find this interesting, when people want to see "regular people" in the fantastical kind of stuff. Why? Regular people is the reason why this stuff is created, cause real people are everywhere. There are a TON of movies that feature just "regular people", why see that in the fantasy? To me thats boring, but hey, each their own I guess. I dont get why people play as humans in video games either, when there are a ton of other options but oh well. *shrug*

To me, if you take away the "superpowered space monks" you have Star Trek, or any other type of sci fi.

Not really. "Hard s/f" is heavily based in socio-political commentary. Star Trek made it palatable to the masses by putting the space-adventure veneer on it. Note NBC rejecting Gene's first pilot as "too cerebral". Only by having Kirk get in a fistfight and get his uniform ripped every episode was it "action-y" enough for the network.

Star Wars is space-opera. Opera deals with larger themes, while hard-s/f gets down to specific and often confrontational nuggets. Star Wars (the first film) was as big a hit as it was in part because of the industry-creating visual effects, in part because George rejected the current zeitgeist of 1) using space-y, electronic music for his space film, and 2) breaking step with the contemporary crop of grim, downbeat social-commentary and dark-comedy films... Which is the other part -- I would argue the major part -- of why it was such a huge hit. We were just a couple years past Viet Nam and Watergate, there was economic downturn, unemployment, inflation, political and social dissatisfaction, gas shortages, troubles in the Middle East, and movies like the Dirty Harry series, All the President's Men, Logan's Run, Marathon Man, A Bridge Too Far, Close Encounters of the Third Kind... Even comedies like Freaky Friday, Silent Movie, Murder By Death, or Annie Hall... But an escapist fairy tale was what everyone found they needed.

Star Wars is the Arthur legend in space. Luke's appeal was that he's an Everyman who discovers he's the inheritor of this great legacy. There's a lot of wish-fulfillment there. It wasn't so much that we liked the characters as we wanted to be them. Poke around the galaxy in the Millennium Falcon, rescue your friends from disaster, try not to cut your own arm off with your lightsaber, fly one of those sweet-looking fighters and shoot up the baddies... We (broad we) wanted to be the small-town nobody who becomes a hero. (Never mind that his family had to die to help make this happen...)

But the rest of the narrative of the OT was that, while he was in fact the inheritor of the space-wizard-monk legacy, and made it possible by blowing up the first Death Star, it was his friends whose lives he'd saved who carried the fight forward and won at the end. Luke turned himself in and had his little Manchurian Candidate session with Palpatine, while the non-powered people were breaking into the shield generator, getting caught, fighting back, bringing down the shield, taking out one of the Empire's Command Ships, and ultimately destroying this even bigger space station, with Palpatine and Vader on it. Luke's involvement at the end was personal/spiritual, saving his dad from Darkness, and he barely escaped. But he sure didn't save the day there. That was the Rebellion, full of ordinary people.

Star Wars is (or, at least, should be) about Fighting the Good Fight, through whatever mechanic. The OT can be distilled down to: Hero discovers he's Space Wizard, uses fledgling Space Wizard abilities to stop Evil Bad Guys from killing his friends so they can continue the fight and ultimately triumph while he goes on Personal Journey. Not saying there's no place for Force-users in Star Wars, but they should contribute to the plot and story, without the story being about them. Yeah, in each of the cycles so far, the central character, the Hero, has been a Force-user, but their concerns and growth are fairly universal concerns and growth, just within a somewhat-Force-tinted context. Some of you know I consider Cassian -- and not Jyn -- to be the central character in Rogue One, and he is, to me, a good example of a non-Force-using Hero, while the Force is still present in the story.

Don't need to (and shouldn't) excise the Force from Star Wars, but the main character doesn't need to be a Force-user, and the story shouldn't be all about the millennia-long doctrinal differences between Jedi and Sith. There are other concerns and factors affecting the galactic populace.

Not remotely hard to do. From: http://www.indiewire.com/2018/02/jj-abrams-star-wars-last-jedi-women-1201929593/

“The filmmaker shared that, in recent meetings targeted around employing crews and filmmakers for projects, he and McGrath have asked their agency CAA for lists of potential collaborators “that represent the makeup of the country” and “that immediately changed the conversation.”

In other words, he's looking for specifically non-white actors and actresses. He's casting based on skin color, not talent.

Ouf. That was a painful article to slog through. Not well-written, and definitely pushing an agenda. I had to read his specific statements in there and parse them from what the writer was deriving from them. Because "crews and filmmakers" tend to be the people behind the camera. CAA, though, is a talent-representing agency, so I was trying to disentangle two apparently unconnected things. He seems to be saying he and his wife, as part of pursuing social equity in this industry, are seeking hiring partners who break out of the traditionally hetero-white-male-dominated talent agencies and labor unions and open it up for people who don't necessarily fit that demographic.

It is a massive leap to equate that to "hiring for [sex/color/race/orientation] first and talent second".

To a very large degree, at least in my experience, you get people, particularly on the political left, who like to call anyone who disagrees with their position names. Nazis. Trolls. Misogynists. You name it. Instead of actually responding to what is being said and thinking about it intellectually, they are just reacting like children. I'm not saying there aren't bad people on both sides, but only one side seems to be screeching and calling names as a means to avoid having an intellectual conversation.

Whereas my experience tends to be the opposite. I try to have a rational discussion about the things I thought worked and the things I thought could have been done better, and have to slog past multiple posts about how Rose is the worst character ever, worse than Jar-Jar, because apparently a socially-awkward tech in a socially-awkward-tech costume is objectively the worst thing ever. I liked Rose and had zero problems with her in any of the three theatrical and two home viewings of TLJ I've had so far. The only part of the film with Rose, for me, that fell flat was the free-the-horse-things bit, but that was due to the bit, not to her.

When someone can say "my problem is not with this character, but with these story beats", and other people register that and engage on that level, reasoned discourse happens. But I've been seeing a lot of reason bouncing off of entrenched positions. I haven't kept a solid count, but my general awareness through these threads is that the people who liked the last couple films, flaws and all, are comfortable in their skins, while the people who didn't like them are often shrill, usually dismissive, and too frequently insulting and obnoxious, apparently in an attempt to belittle anyone who liked them, and thus that perspective. The like-dislike camps definitely don't follow lib/con lines, at all. I can't say much more without getting too into real-world politics, but I have seen more conservative "sneer speech" than liberal in these discussions. Not saying it's not there. Just massively overshadowed.

Because by specifying "diversity", which let's be honest, means "non-white", you are limiting your pool of potential actors to only those who fit into your diversity profile. It isn't "whoever is best for this role", it's "whoever is best out of this limited pool of non-white actors". Race and gender and all of that should have no bearing whatsoever on the decision of who to hire. Yes, there are some very specific instances where you want a black actor or a white actor or a male actor or a female actor for that specific role, but none of that was the case in TFA or TLJ. So in looking specifically for non-white actors, JJ Abrams and his ilk are guilty of racial discrimination in their hiring. The only consideration ought to be talent, full stop. If that makes everyone in your movie white, or everyone in your movie black, or everyone in your movie gay or transgender or anything else for that matter, so be it. Talent needs to be first and everything else so absurdly distant that you can't even see it from here. People like JJ Abrams are so busy virtue signalling to a hyper-regressive Hollywood that they get to be racist and still celebrated. Go figure.

- - - Updated - - -

I apologise for giving you the wrong impression about my emotional state. I was merely attempting to avoid starting a potential confrontation. It was my hope that you'd look back at your post to see what might have been offensive about it, but clearly you didn't get what I was throwing down.
So, when you state that they hired the best non-white actors instead of the best white actors it seemed like you were implying that decision led to a subpar film, which is a problematic view at best, seeing as how race doesn't have anything to do with acting ability.

This isn't a political argument so there are no confrontations and I sure don't take it personally, don't worry. And you're right, race has nothing at all to do with acting ability, which is why I keep questioning why hiring on the basis of race for an acting job ought to be at all acceptable to anyone. Maybe you can explain that.

Reactions: JPH

I care about skin color. I rarely fit in at Star Wars cosplay because of it. My skin and hair is too dark to cosplay at Han Solo, but not dark enough to cosplay Lando. It took decades for there to finally be someone I could almost relate to in Cassian Andor, tan skin, dark hair, and a non-minor character. And technically Chirrut (skin tone is still too dark being Filipino) and Baze (I have a much smaller body frame) would count as well. But it's Cassian in Rogue One that I gravitated towards more. With Rose in The Last Jedi, I was ecstatic that there was the first main character in an honest to god numbered episode Star Wars movie that I could identify with on screen.

I care about skin color.

If you don't have a set of Starship Troopers power armor, you need one. You sound like you might make a perfect Johnny Rico.

That's because it's a pretty good argument. Times have changed since the days when Orson Welles cast Charlton Heston to play a Mexican in A Touch of Evil. Heston did a pretty good job but maybe a Mexican actor could have done an equally good job and added an interesting inflection to the role that Heston couldn't. Diversity doesn't have to be an ugly word.

It doesn't have to be, but the regressive left is making it that by pretending that everyone else but them are racists, then being the only ones around using race as a standard. And who knows what might have happened in A Touch of Evil. Maybe a Hispanic actor might have been better, maybe not. We'll never know and we shouldn't live in the past and pretend that one would have automatically been better in the role than another. It's a moot point. Heston put butts in seats. Would a lesser known Hispanic actor have done the same thing at that time? I don't know. But it makes no more sense to just get out your diversity checklist for your movie and start ticking boxes because you want to virtue signal how "progressive" you are. These people are supposed to be filmmakers, not diversity cheerleaders. The character if Rey isn't a better character because she's female. I even like Daisy Ridley as an actress, but she's horrible in TFA and TLJ. Just awful because that's how the character is written. It's a complete Mary Sue. And John Boyega is a great actor, but when people are going to look at a black actor or a female actor or a gay actor and always wonder if they got that job because they were black or female or gay, that harms everyone. I don't denigrate these people for getting the roles, but I certainly do ask that they compete equally with everyone else up for the job, regardless of skin color, gender or sexual orientation. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Reactions: JPH

You're right!

Away with that ******* Jean Luc Picard, how dare an Englishman play a Frenchman!

He doesn't know what it's like to be French, eat snails and surrender whenever the opportunity arises. :lol

I care about skin color. I rarely fit in at Star Wars cosplay because of it. My skin and hair is too dark to cosplay at Han Solo, but not dark enough to cosplay Lando. It took decades for there to finally be someone I could almost relate to in Cassian Andor, tan skin, dark hair, and a non-minor character. And technically Chirrut (skin tone is still too dark being Filipino) and Baze (I have a much smaller body frame) would count as well. But it's Cassian in Rogue One that I gravitated towards more. With Rose in The Last Jedi, I was ecstatic that there was the first main character in an honest to god numbered episode Star Wars movie that I could identify with on screen.

I care about skin color.

But you shouldn't. I don't want this to go too far into the political realm because I understand it's against the rules, but you, and I mean everyone, can be anyone that you want to be. You can cosplay as anyone you want to cosplay as and nobody ought to say a damn thing about it because it doesn't matter. But we've gotten into a world where people are so racially-focused that they only want to cosplay as someone the same color or gender or whatever as they are and that's missing the whole point of it. It's playing a character that you love and putting your own personal stamp on your portrayal. If you want to cosplay as Luke Skywalker, go ahead. Knock yourself out. Because if you're identifying with characters on screen because of their skin color or gender or sexual orientation, the problem isn't the characters, the problem is you. If some white guy wants to cosplay as Black Panther at a convention, so what? Any more than if some black guy wants to cosplay as Daredevil or Captain America. People get way too hung up on race. I'm sure I'll get attacked for saying so, I always am, but it's the truth.

And this is what this absurdly racially divisive regressive culture has given us. Martin Luther King Jr. had it right when he wanted a world where his children would be judged on the content of their character and not the color of their skin. He would be very disgusted, and rightfully so, to see what we've become.

Give me one reason why Disney couldn't have put Michael Bay or Jerry Bruckheimer in charge of Star Wars when they bought it from Lucas. Or Zach Snyder. Or a few other people who sound like terrible ideas.

Oh heck no. Those poison to my ears.

this is incorrect.

You HAVE TO ASK the CAA for potential collabs that represent the country or you ONLY GET WHITE PEOPLE.

Check out Dan Harmon's "Whiting Wongs" podcast to hear HOW messed up it is.

When HArmon requests screenwriters he ONLY gets white males unless he specifically asks. And it's not because they're the BEST writers, they are just the writers getting the most work... cuz they're white guys being passed on to other white guys.

They specifically had to ask for woman screenwriters because all the agent submissions where white males. They honestly thought "Well Rick and Morty isn't going to be written by women"... so only submitted their usuals.

So when a casting agent says "hey they're casting star wars!" they're gonna push all their white actors to the front, because when you think "Star Wars" you think Blonde white kid with a bunch of white kids and a dog fighting a white empire to save a galaxy of whites.... and Lando.

So you want diversity in your cast? You tell casting agents "Send diversity"

And yes, you want diversity.

JJ did not bypass the best actors to cast people who aren't white.

If you don't have a set of Starship Troopers power armor, you need one. You sound like you might make a perfect Johnny Rico.
Haha, thanks. I don't yet, but maybe someday.

But you shouldn't. I don't want this to go too far into the political realm because I understand it's against the rules, but you, and I mean everyone, can be anyone that you want to be. You can cosplay as anyone you want to cosplay as and nobody ought to say a damn thing about it because it doesn't matter. But we've gotten into a world where people are so racially-focused that they only want to cosplay as someone the same color or gender or whatever as they are and that's missing the whole point of it. It's playing a character that you love and putting your own personal stamp on your portrayal. If you want to cosplay as Luke Skywalker, go ahead. Knock yourself out. Because if you're identifying with characters on screen because of their skin color or gender or sexual orientation, the problem isn't the characters, the problem is you. If some white guy wants to cosplay as Black Panther at a convention, so what? Any more than if some black guy wants to cosplay as Daredevil or Captain America. People get way too hung up on race. I'm sure I'll get attacked for saying so, I always am, but it's the truth.

And this is what this absurdly racially divisive regressive culture has given us. Martin Luther King Jr. had it right when he wanted a world where his children would be judged on the content of their character and not the color of their skin. He would be very disgusted, and rightfully so, to see what we've become.
See, that's the thing. I do cosplay as Han. Working towards RL approval. I also believe everyone has the right to cosplay who they want regardless without needing to be the correct ethnicity. But I could put in the all the hours into crafting, all the money into commissioning, and all the focusing on all accuracy mods I can make to my costume. Even with all of that, the average convention goer will barely give any recognition to what was involved with the build due to my skin tone. And I do mean the average convention goer. Not someone who posts on these boards or on FB specific character/fandom cosplay groups. Everyone here and those places are just fans of building and sharing techniques, so it's great just talking shop and experiences with people like that. But when you get called Cassian Andor at different conventions while wearing Bespin Han Solo, it does make me feel like someone on the outside looking in.

Representation issues aside, I do not care whether or not Kathleen Kennedy steps down or stays. I'll still continue buying tickets for a Star Wars movie as close to opening weekend as I can. A tradition I have been able to do since the late 90s special edition re-releases.

Because by specifying "diversity", which let's be honest, means "non-white", you are limiting your pool of potential actors to only those who fit into your diversity profile. It isn't "whoever is best for this role", it's "whoever is best out of this limited pool of non-white actors". Race and gender and all of that should have no bearing whatsoever on the decision of who to hire. Yes, there are some very specific instances where you want a black actor or a white actor or a male actor or a female actor for that specific role, but none of that was the case in TFA or TLJ. So in looking specifically for non-white actors, JJ Abrams and his ilk are guilty of racial discrimination in their hiring. The only consideration ought to be talent, full stop. If that makes everyone in your movie white, or everyone in your movie black, or everyone in your movie gay or transgender or anything else for that matter, so be it. Talent needs to be first and everything else so absurdly distant that you can't even see it from here. People like JJ Abrams are so busy virtue signalling to a hyper-regressive Hollywood that they get to be racist and still celebrated. Go figure.

Well, if you're primarily upset about the grandstanding aspect of Hollywood, that I can understand. Like I said, that aspect can get annoying.

But let's face it, filmmakers have always cast parts based on a particular look or appearance. Actors and actresses have been routinely excluded from certain roles during the casting process for any number of reasons related to physicality: too skinny, too fat, too short, too tall, too "ethnic," not "ethnic" enough. Then, within that specific type, they're looking for the best talent. In every casting call, a lot of actors and actresses will never get in the door because of the way they look.

So if a director thinks someone who is "non-white" would be more interesting for a certain role, that's the prerogative of the director. They should be able to cast whoever they want, whether you think it's for the right reasons or not.

***** you guys are all ridiculous. I think you forgot whats at stake here, from KK's perspective, Disneys, and anyone elses in the BUSINESS, is that they are trying to make MONEY. And from what reports they get, or whatever focus groups they are listening to, they are trying to get that millenial/younger generations dollar. And the younger generation is clamoring for more diversity, because the internet gave everyone a voice, and all people do is bItch. The squeaky oil gets the grease. It doesnt matter who goes in there, the overlords are going to push their demands on whoever gets the position to do whatever it takes to make more money. Lets be honest here. Its hollyweird for gods sakes! :lol

I'm afraid I wouldn't even know where to begin. You're on your own. Good luck. :)

Umm, don't criticize me for not posting gifs properly, and then blow me off when I politely ask for a bit of instruction. Tanks for nuthin'. :rolleyes

There were glimpses of it in TFA where JJ made us actually feel for every new character by letting their scenes breathe

What?? When Rey sits down to eat a sandwich?? The movie still suffered from--among many other things--a break-neck pace.

Agreed, kids today definitely love Star Wars on its merits, but I'll posit that current kids don't see Luke or the OT as the center of the franchise in the way we did.

They do if they are being raised right.

HAHah-- okay. You got me there. But the people complaining didn't like Alden either.

Liking the actor or not, has nothing to do with it. I have no personal dislike of Alden. In fact, he's struck me as a very pleasant guy every time I've seen him interviewed. Also, I've complained many times on this site that Ewan McGregor, while one of the highlights to the otherwise dreadful prequels, was hideously miscast as a young Obi Wan. He lacks Guinness' air of aristocracy, and no matter how much he tries to capture it, he still sounds and looks like he's from the other side of the tracks. And yet, I love Ewan McGregor, in many other roles, and from what I can tell, as a person. I also love his passion for Star Wars! But he should not have ever been cast as Obi Wan Kenobi.

Well you don't speak for me! I feel that there are several current films out now that are very good. How incredibly obtuse of you to paint everyone with the same broad stroke.

Funky, have you seen, Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen? I think you'll love it!!!

Don't get me wrong i'm not saying TFA and Rogue One are bad movies, i can totally get why a lot of people like them. They do however have weak stories and a complete lack of character development.

Umm, movies with weak stories and a complete lack of character development = bad movies.

Fairly certain no one can take away my masculinity.

I'd agree with this. You cannot take something away that isn't there to begin with.

The Wook

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back