Things you're tired of seeing in movies

People in sci fi movies needing to disable a door going to control panel and piping it open with there bare hands and pulling out all the wires to shut it down. First of all you would need at least 5 minutes and a screwdriver to get that open and why would u just break the door sometimes they do it on there own ship and I must ask why that’s going to cost tons of money to fix
Not to mention how quick someone can defeat a door type they've never seen before in any type of movie. Why bother putting locks on anything?

Not to mention how quick someone can defeat a door type they've never seen before in any type of movie. Why bother putting locks on anything?

Not to mention having the ability to immediately understand Alien tech and their associated switches, panels, levers and colors to every wire. What if "our" Red wire was actually "their" Blue or "our" White wire didn't exist? Then what, huh? Yeah... exactly! ;)

People in sci fi movies needing to disable a door going to control panel and piping it open with there bare hands and pulling out all the wires to shut it down. First of all you would need at least 5 minutes and a screwdriver to get that open and why would u just break the door sometimes they do it on there own ship and I must ask why that’s going to cost tons of money to fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A variation of that is shooting a control panel completely disables a door, even if there is a control panel on the other side of the door.

Kind of like someone being handed a mechanical typewriter today. Yeah, they can use one, but it's not going to be fast!

Funnily enough, I'm actually faster on a typewriter than on a regular computer keyboard, less typos too. And before you ask, I learned to type on a computer, not a typewriter. I think it has to do with the long throw of the keys.

I don't hate the idea per se. But I agree it's overused now.

Overused and mostly poorly executed in their stories. Seriously, there are a rare few prequels that actually tell a good story. The first two that come to mind are Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom (it is set before the first film, so it counts) and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (granted, it doesn't have the humor, but when you're telling the story of the girl who's death is the lynchpin of the series, clearly it's not gonna be a funny and bright one).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
A variation of that is shooting a control panel completely disables a door, even if there is a control panel on the other side of the door.

Yeah, I'd imagine that if we ever came up with that sort of tech shooting/shorting out the controls would probably cause the doors to stay open, not lock them closed. I can't imagine that it would be too safe to have doors that would lock you in a room if its controls were somehow fried, at the very least they'd stay closed but not locked.

Then there's what @SofaKing01said about colored wires, a big trope with that is when it comes to bomb defusing scenes. How many times do we see people defusing bombs, worse yet, being walked through defusing bomb remotely, simply going by cutting specifically colored wires. As if everybody in the world who knows how to make a bomb does it in the same exact way with the same exact colors of wires going to the same parts of the bomb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'd imagine that if we ever came up with that sort of tech shooting/shorting out the controls would probably cause the doors to stay open, not lock them closed. I can't imagine that it would be too safe to have doors that would lock you in a room if its controls were somehow fried, at the very least they'd stay closed but not locked.

Then there's what @SofaKing01said about colored wires, a big trope with that is when it comes to bomb defusing scenes. How many times do we see people defusing bombs, worse yet, being walked through defusing bomb remotely, simply going by cutting specifically colored wires. As if everybody in the world who knows how to make a bomb does it in the same exact way with the same exact colors of wires going to the same parts of the bomb.

That was why I loved the bomb defusing scene in the Abyss. Ed Harris was told what color wires to cut but because he was using one of those chem lights he couldn't tell the color of the stripes on the wires and just took a wild guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was why I loved the bomb defusing scene in the Abyss. Ed Harris was told what color wires to cut but because he was using one of those chem lights he couldn't tell the color of the stripes on the wires and just took a wild guess.
Yeah, at least in that case, it was a Navy MRV and a SEAL EOD-trained sailor was reading off the directions to him. It's the cases where there's no way to know how said bomb is made that makes me roll my eyes. The whole, "Cut the red wire" is such a movie trope now that people joke about it in other films. I went through an intro to EOD class in the Army and it even came up there.

Yeah, at least in that case, it was a Navy MRV and a SEAL EOD-trained sailor was reading off the directions to him. It's the cases where there's no way to know how said bomb is made that makes me roll my eyes. The whole, "Cut the red wire" is such a movie trope now that people joke about it in other films. I went through an intro to EOD class in the Army and it even came up there.

nah, just cut, take the cat and run :p

but yes. bomb makers in movies are rather stupid for using red wire for the ignition. and adding huge timers and red blinking lights. wich is also getting rather silly.

At least in "Executive Decision" there was an entire fake mounted over top to keep anyone busy for a while. I respected that, even though the SF-tabbed EOD guy couldn't have known all that stuff remotely like they showed.

At least in "Executive Decision" there was an entire fake mounted over top to keep anyone busy for a while. I respected that, even though the SF-tabbed EOD guy couldn't have known all that stuff remotely like they showed.

That's another thing you always see in movies and on TV, people in a given field knowing everything about that field. If a person is an engineer then they know everything there is to know about engineering from civil, to electronic, to mechanical; doctors are trained in all aspects of medecine ranging from being a general practitioner, to an epidmeologist, to a neurosurgeon.

That's another thing you always see in movies and on TV, people in a given field knowing everything about that field. If a person is an engineer then they know everything there is to know about engineering from civil, to electronic, to mechanical; doctors are trained in all aspects of medecine ranging from being a general practitioner, to an epidmeologist, to a neurosurgeon.

As a radiological technologist, I can attest to that. When I take X-rays or CT scans and a patent asks me what I see, I tell them I'm not allowed to do diagnosis. The reason behind it is because when it comes to X-rays and CT scans, there's various factors that have to be taken into account for diagnosis. There are multiple conditions that can look in an X-Ray the same but are different in minor ways that a radiologist can notice and properly diagnose. For my job, I'm suppose to take the pictures and scans, make sure they're in good enough detail for the radiologist to read. If I give a diagnosis and then a doctor tells the patient something else, it opens the door for a potential lawsuit. Even if it's some thing obvious (like a clearly noticeable broken bone, for example), I'm still not allowed to say so if a patient asks.

And when it comes to the doctors, they understand that our fields are different and that they trust us to do what we need to, as well as the difficulties we in the radiology department have to go through to get the pictures needed, just as much as we in the radiology department understand the importance of getting these pictures done. Sometimes, given the circumstance, we are not able to get all the pictures needed because of certain circumstances (for example, trying to get a two view chest X-Ray on a five year-old who won't stay still for five seconds, or who start crying because they thing taking the X-Ray will hurt them, even though you explain it's like taking a school picture. Another example would be a patient being in too much pain to be able to hold or lay in a position for very long) and the doctors (or in my case, the ER provider I work with during the night shift) will approve of using just the limited amount of pictures we can get given the circumstances. They trust us to do our job as best as we can, just as much as we trust them to do theirs.

Last edited:
As a radiological technologist, I can attest to that. When I take X-rays or CT scans and a patent asks me what I see, I tell them I'm not allowed to do diagnosis. The reason behind it is because when it comes to X-rays and CT scans, there's various factors that have to be taken into account for diagnosis. There are multiple conditions that can look in an X-Ray the same but are different in minor ways that a radiologist can notice and properly diagnose. For my job, I'm suppose to take the pictures and scans, make sure they're in good enough detail for the radiologist to read. If I give a diagnosis and then a doctor tells the patient something else, it opens the door for a potential lawsuit. Even if it's some thing obvious (like a clearly noticeable broken bone, for example), I'm still not allowed to say so if a patient asks.

And when it comes to the doctors, they understand that our fields are different and that they trust us to do what we need to, as well as the difficulties we in the radiology department have to go through to get the pictures needed, just as much as we in the radiology department understand the importance of getting these pictures done. Sometimes, given the circumstance, we are not able to get all the pictures needed because of certain circumstances (for example, trying to get a two view chest X-Ray on a five year-old who won't stay still for five seconds, or who start crying because they thing taking the X-Ray will hurt them, even though you explain it's like taking a school picture. Another example would be a patient being in too much pain to be able to hold or lay in a position for very long) and the doctors (or in my case, the ER provider I work with during the night shift) will approve of using just the limited amount of pictures we can get given the circumstances. They trust us to do our job as best as we can, just as much as we trust them to do theirs.

So you're telling me that even though you're trained in the use of medical X-ray equipment; you can't hack and reprogram the alien laser cannon to destroy their mothership, instead of New York City? Why do we even keep you around?

So you're telling me that even though you're trained in the use of medical X-ray equipment; you can't hack and reprogram the alien laser cannon to destroy their mothership, instead of New York City? Why do we even keep you around?

Because I'm the comic relief. And the ladies like me. You know, like Jeff Goldbloom in Jurassic Park. XD

One thing that I hate seeing in movies and tv shows is perfect timing. For example I saw Rush Hour 3 last night and when Soo was revealed to be tied to the edge of the tower she looks down like it was the first time and freaks out. You mean to tell me she has not looked down in fear the entire time before that scene?

Another example was in the first season of Gotham when the lady was thrown in the prison where they took Fish and the lady says "They took my eyes" How the hell does she know where she is at what they were doing or if there were other people in the room when she has no eyeballs!

Its that perfect timing that makes the whole scene a bit cheesy.

I love Star Trek but they are/were MASTERS at doing this exact thing. But EVERYBODY on the ship had a basic understanding of... EVERYTHING! Quantum mechanics... oh sure I got that... Brain Aneurysm.. no problem! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Because I'm the comic relief. And the ladies like me. You know, like Jeff Goldbloom in Jurassic Park. XD

That and... Scripts... um... Find a way... ;)

One thing that drives me nuts; a car or plane roars by very close to the camera and the camera shakes and debris can be seen on the lens. Unless it's supposed to be a documentary concept, that makes no darned sense!
That and what I call the, "Hey, what's that? shot" where a camera literally does a double take and focuses on something that wasn't obvious in the shot at first. The Battlestar Galactica reboot was notorious for that, one of the things about the show I couldn't stand (for a show I otherwise loved until its final season), as again it makes no sense in that context.

^agreed, that drove me crazy. During a battle, okay, if you're pretending this is found footage from a combat photographer (which is still stupid, but... okay.)

But a shuttle coming in to dock during a normal day? The pretend photographer couldn't get a steady shot, and the pretend editor left in the snap zooms and focus racks? sigh...

When dialogue continues over the cut between two scenes that constitutes a time jump, but the conversation is continuous as if they just teleported there.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Indy, Marcus and Ilsa approach the library from about 100 feet away:

MARCUS: It looks like a converted church.

*cut to deep inside the building*

ILSA: In this case it's the literal truth. We're on holy ground...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back