Scratch built Star Destroyer NEW PICS WITH LIGHTS by Daniel Beck page 6

Re: Scratch built Star Destroyer 2nd attempt

Thanks for the kind words guys. The hangar bay was fun but also a pain! Also I should add I'm not done with it! I still have to add more piping and the details around the side edges.:wacko As well as the surrounding surface. I was going to leave it, but after closer scrutiny it just isn't clean enough. Lots more to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Your hanger looks nicely detailed. Mine was such a pain, and was so very much wrongly cut.
I think the clamp looks a little different, but not too different.

Yea the crane claw is a bit different, but it is also unfinished. I'm actually thinking of taking it out and going with a little more accurate design.

So how long ago did you start this one, can't remember if you said or not. Any idea when you could finish. Its a joyful yet kinda sad experience to finish a build like this.

I actually started it in May but I have not been working on it full time. Im hoping to finish it this month, but I have been working a lot so the process has slowed a bit. It is a fun project, however, I am looking forward to completing it and moving onto the next projects. I have already begun plans for a 32" falcon, a tie bomber and another snowspeeder.

So how long ago did you start this one, can't remember if you said or not. Any idea when you could finish. Its a joyful yet kinda sad experience to finish a build like this.

I don't know if you have seen it but if you look up the thread "scratch built studio scale snowspeeder finished", this is my first build. The next speeder I do will be in this scale but will be painted like rogue leader. I'm gonna try n make it more accurate as well.

A lot of patience. The hangar bay took me a good 5 days to get it to this point. So many small pieces to cut. the crane track rafter beams were made from pencil lead re-fills for a mechanical pencil and those took the longest time to do because they are so fragile and kept breaking when I would try and cut them to size. Its tough craming the detail of an 8 foot model into a 3 foot version!:unsure

I don't know if you have seen it but if you look up the thread "scratch built studio scale snowspeeder finished", this is my first build. The next speeder I do will be in this scale but will be painted like rogue leader. I'm gonna try n make it more accurate as well.

Just found the thread, very nice. I only have a store bought toy snow speeder, which works for me, but yeah, not anything near the detail you have.
I have a ether the toy version of something, or the model I built with instructions from the box. I really have only done 3 scratch models. One being an unfinished Imperial Shuttle I started in 7th grade.

Yea I caught a little glimpse of it in the first pic of your destroyer build. Are you planning on finishing it?

Its just so horrible disproportioned. <is that even a word? The uncovered cardboard is bent in a lot of place...not sure if I can even salvage it now. Was thinking of making a new one someday, but need to improve my skills for sure first.

Ok, continuing with the build, I next began to fill in the side detailing of the superstructure. The shelves are cut from styrene and the details are kitbashed from several models. 11 (1).JPG11 (2).JPG11 (3).JPG11 (4).JPG

how many kits do you think you've gone through so far to get that amount of details?

how many kits do you think you've gone through so far to get that amount of details?

I've used pieces from about 6 kits so far, the leapold, karl, kuma, Rodney, nelson, and the prince of whales. As well as some pieces from some other kits. I'm not really sure what they are from. I have a big bucket of pieces that I got from a friend so I don't really know what they are from. I have also used a lot of found objects around the house.

This is an example of a found object that I like to use a lot. The piece circled is actually the head of a disposable razor. It looks great as detailing. The piece next to it on the right is an electrical connector of some type. CIRCLE.jpg

Thanks Morsesith! I'm collecting kits and pieces as well for an SD build. Lots of razors too. I'm up to about 35 various kits. Mostly 1/700 scale ships. Trying to judge how many more I'll need. Seems like quite a few :wacko

Yea there is a ton of detailing. Mine is not accurate, though I have used several pieces that are used on the actual model. One day I hope to follow in Julien's footsteps and attempt to build the 8 footer. That however, won't be for a LONG time!

Great build so far; amount of details are great and speaking of razor, some of the disposable blade (or head) are rather costly (the women's specially). Great use of found objects...keep up the great work:cool

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back