another SW ANH resto project (Team Negative 1)

Very nice, but.
colours seem way too muted and exterior shots look far too bright, to the point that a lot of detail is simply blasted out of the picture....

Rich
Under normal circumstances I would agree, but that toned down, yellowish colour feels strangely nostalgic to me. Not sure though if I would take that as the definitive version of the movie, it certainly bothered me on first watch but a couple more spins I started to appreciate it. I'm more concerned by the noise on the sail barge exploding shot. But it just feels so good to see it not being all blue/teal with lightsabers looking like fluff rods.

I dunno, something about that just doesn't look right to me. I saw them all originally in the theaters, and I don't remember them having that much yellowish tone to them.

Problems reside in that some of the movie theaters were populated by "student projectionists" :rolleyes Unaware that the big projection rigs had to be "calibrated" to make sure that images (and to a certain extend sound) were at the best settings possible. A good projectionist new that and I'm sure the studios made instructions available on the cans or by other means to instruct the people in charge how to give the audience the best image/sound possible. Since I saw ANH 30 times in 5 days, I can tell you that some of the showings were off completely due to "John Smith" not knowing his way around a rig.:behave...rant over;)

Problems reside in that some of the movie theaters were populated by "student projectionists" :rolleyes Unaware that the big projection rigs had to be "calibrated" to make sure that images (and to a certain extend sound) were at the best settings possible. A good projectionist new that and I'm sure the studios made instructions available on the cans or by other means to instruct the people in charge how to give the audience the best image/sound possible. Since I saw ANH 30 times in 5 days, I can tell you that some of the showings were off completely due to "John Smith" not knowing his way around a rig.:behave...rant over;)

That's why I, purist curmudgeon that I am, actually favor digital projection systems. There's very little room for the operators to screw it up.

thus the creation of the THX theater alignment program attempt
i think i read in a cinematography mag that at least the first half of (anh)star wars was color timed to favor on the yellow side. perhaps i'm mistaken
i know George wanted that "look sir, droids" scene to look very environmentally hot and so they used a filter to get a lot of "glare".
makes sense for desert scenes

Last edited:

I was a projectionist in a cinema for 9 years, using Victoria 5 projectors,
There's actually very little you can do to affect the image of what's on screen.....in fact, focusing the bulb was about the extent of it, and that only affected brightness and hot-spots.

Rich

I was a projectionist in a cinema for 9 years, using Victoria 5 projectors,
There's actually very little you can do to affect the image of what's on screen.....in fact, focusing the bulb was about the extent of it, and that only affected brightness and hot-spots.

Rich

You don’t happen to have any pictures of these projectors? I’m really curious what they look like

I always wanted to check out the projector room inside the theater but never seen one

Closets I’ve ever seen to a projector room is in the movie “ last action hero”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, i worked there from 1991 - 2000......so it was kind of primitive compared to todays digital stuff....

Every theatre had it's own Vic 5 projector with a 3 tier platter system.

the light was provided by a 2000w xenon lamp which was focused manually from the back of the exterior lamphouse...

The cinema i was at had 10 auditoria, so lots of equipment and TONS of maintenance.... Projectors.jpgAMC8_Projector2FullView.jpgvic503.jpg

you only had control of focus, keystone, lamp focus and that was about it. Picture quality was totally dependent on print quality.

Here are a couple of pics i found on the internet....

Rich

Well, i worked there from 1991 - 2000......so it was kind of primitive compared to todays digital stuff....

Every theatre had it's own Vic 5 projector with a 3 tier platter system.

the light was provided by a 2000w xenon lamp which was focused manually from the back of the exterior lamphouse...

The cinema i was at had 10 auditoria, so lots of equipment and TONS of maintenance....View attachment 849633View attachment 849634View attachment 849635

you only had control of focus, keystone, lamp focus and that was about it. Picture quality was totally dependent on print quality.

Here are a couple of pics i found on the internet....

Rich

This is wild!! 2000w bulb! I bet it was hotter then hell in that room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, there was quite a powerful extraction system with a big duct at the top of the lamphouse.

The bulbs operated at 8 atmospheres of pressure, so you had to wear lots of protective gear to replace them. they had to be rotated a quarter turn every 500 hours or something....this helped maintain an even light on screen. After the rotation, the light had to be re-focused to eliminate hotspot.

(this is REALLY giving my memory a workout!)

FO_PHOTO221%2520ffc30e96-5343-4827-851f-3a76d93fb365__51362.1342107126.500.750.jpg

I honestly don't know what they use these days.....

Rich

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back