Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

It would be even one day less than that, as Threepio was picked up first, THEN Artoo at sundown. Opening of film to R2 capture...one day.

I could swear R2 got picked up first because when 3PO gets boarded on the Jawa Transport, looks around, and he almost immediately says, "Artoo-Detoo! It's you! It's you!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah, but the stupid little choke gesture he makes cinches it :)
Didn't you notice he makes the same basic gesture when he chokes Motti in ANH?

VCHOKE.jpg

Last edited:
I could swear R2 got picked up first because when 3PO gets boarded on the Jawa Transport, looks around, and he almost immediately says, "Artoo-Detoo! It's you! It's you!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes, 3po gets grabbed first. he's asleep on the sand crawler when r2 is dumped into the storage area with all the other droids. 3po wakes up with his eyes flickering, one of my favorite scenes thats the only reason why i know I've re watched it 1000 times lol ;)

Just got back from my second viewing--loved it even more!!

Couple of questions:
Why did they build the second Death Star with pretty much the same flaw? Yeah, I know it's a little different with the second one, but it's still pretty much the same--one shot to the reactor and blooey. Okay, I know Galen hid the Death Star flaw deep so no one would find it. Krennic is the only Imperial to hear of the secret and he dies. So was the "fuse" hidden so well that when they built the second one they still didn't know why the first one blew up? No one even tried to research the problem?

Second: I'm still a little confused on the "master switch" deal. Bodhi finally gets hooked in, Chirrut pulls the switch, but then it all blows up. What exactly did they get accomplished? I'm sure it's there and I'm just missing it, so someone please tell me.

Tarkin looked better to me this time as I was able to just dismiss the CG face and go with it. I find that if I just don't look for it, it looks a lot better. Still think they should have just done Leia from the back or something.

Chimwut isn't wielding the Force, though, he's accepting of it, a vessel for it to fill, but his abilities and senses are a result of that relationship.

Throughout the movie I kept thinking of Eli in The Book of Eli. Also, in the ROTS book (I think - and cut scene from ROTS) Qui Gon says he learned the ability to retain his identity after death from a shaman of the Whills. So that's the same Force wielding group of that temple.

Has anyone seen any info on what type of door guns the U-Wing has, like in one of the Rogue One books? I'm wondering because it took out the leg of the AT-ACT.

Yea "magic stick man" was SOOOO believable....
wacko.png
Whack a stormtrooper with a stick and they are instantly killed! lol

I'm guessing that staff is something like what Grievous' guards used that has electricity in it or something. That's the only way it makes sense...

Sorry for replying to something older in this thread (I'm still making my way through everything), but as someone who didn't get into SW until high school (right before the special editions came out), I didn't know that the actor who played Tarkin had passed. Watching the film, I couldn't tell that he was CGI, but there was an "offness" to him, not in the uncanny valley side, but that he felt like he wasn't "there" in the scenes, that he had been added in later.

So, I went in not knowing that the character would be in the film, not knowing the actor was dead, or anything. And while I didn't peg it as CGI, I did peg something as off. In 2D.

Leia, on the other hand, I couldn't tell anything with, and was disappointed that the credits didn't list her at all, I didn't know if it was heavy makeup on a look-alike or what.

She was listed in the credits- wayyyy towards the end it said something like "Special thanks to Carrie Fisher' or something like that.

Second: I'm still a little confused on the "master switch" deal. Bodhi finally gets hooked in, Chirrut pulls the switch, but then it all blows up. What exactly did they get accomplished? I'm sure it's there and I'm just missing it, so someone please tell me.

Bohdhi was able to communicate to the fleet that there was a transmission on the way,....they received....then boom

C'mon....just watch the movie,....it's all there

J

Just got back from my second viewing--loved it even more!!

Couple of questions:
Why did they build the second Death Star with pretty much the same flaw?
The the same flaw with everything that has a volatile power source.
The first DS flaw wasn't the reactor or its....blowupiness....the flaw was that there was something to shoot at that would carry a chain reaction TO it.

The Second DS didn't have a flaw...it was just unfinished. Its main purpose was to trap the Rebel fleet and Luke, anyway.

This is how I see the staff knocking out Stormtroopers.

Have you ever seen those martial arts guys who can hit 3 boards stacked together and break the bottom board but not the top 2? I see it like that. He's hitting the helmet but transferring the energy to their heads inside.

Plus he's not killing them, just hitting them so hard that it knocks them out like a pistol-whip knockout.

Why did they build the second Death Star with pretty much the same flaw? Yeah, I know it's a little different with the second one, but it's still pretty much the same--one shot to the reactor and blooey. Okay, I know Galen hid the Death Star flaw deep so no one would find it. Krennic is the only Imperial to hear of the secret and he dies. So was the "fuse" hidden so well that when they built the second one they still didn't know why the first one blew up? No one even tried to research the problem?

Well, the reason they had to attack the DSII before it was completed was because once they finished the outer hull, there would be no way to attack the reactor save for a brute force attack to punch a hole through the entire superstructure, a task that you would need just about every military ship in the galaxy to accomplish.

What Galen Erso did with the flaw was design it in such a way that it allow a single straight shot down the thermal exhaust port to the weak spot. Now, if you think about it, a single exhaust port is a terrible idea and I have no idea why the Imperial version of OSHA even passed it. What happens if it gets blocked somehow? You'll get a thermal exhaust buildup that could be very dangerous to the station inhabitants.

The Death Star II, however, was created with a better thermal exhaust system. They didn't have the time to re-engineer the entire reactor assembly system, so what they did was to use the existing design with the flaw included, but change the exterior access from a singular 2 meter wide thermal exhaust port to a bunch of smaller ones (probably no bigger than a centimeter in width) scattered across the surface. No more pesky proton torpedoes up the tailpipe.

Yea "magic stick man" was SOOOO believable.... :wacko Whack a stormtrooper with a stick and they are instantly killed! lol

Didn't the Ewoks defeat the stormtroopers with sticks and rocks though??

One of the things that annoyed be the most was that the pilot kept his goggles on his head for the entire movie but never used them :lol

Last edited:
We should not assume that Threepio and Artoo got picked up that first day and night, respectively. All we know is that Threepio got nabbed first. They each could've wandered the desert for a few days, for all we know, prior to running into those disgusting creatures.

And we also don't know how long the Falcon took to get from Tatooine to Alderaan. Just because we were only shown one scene of the crew and passengers hangin' out during the trip, before Han says, "We're coming up on Alderaan", does not mean the trip took the length of a Dejarik match and a lightsaber training session. It also, could've been a few days, for all we know.

The Wook

Now, if you think about it, a single exhaust port is a terrible idea and I have no idea why the Imperial version of OSHA even passed it. What happens if it gets blocked somehow? You'll get a thermal exhaust buildup that could be very dangerous to the station inhabitants.

well to be fair, the line is "Small thermal exhaust port, right below the main port" in ANH, so it was probably easier to hide it in an offshoot exhaust port rather than the main one

I am also among the crowd that believes that Chirrut is simply knocking out the troopers. Heck football (US) players get knocked out every now and then with helmets purpose built for impact, so a ballistic helmet being hit hard with a particularly sturdy stick could still transfer quite a bit of force to one's head

A few possibilities on time period of ANH--

--Yes, we don't know how long the droids wandered in the desert. For that matter, we don't know how long they rode in the Sandcrawler, do we?

How far is the drive to Mos Eisley? That could have been a good part of a day, maybe.

As to the question of how long it took to get to Alderaan; if you really look at the scene it seems to only take a very very short amount of time. (All in one scene) Han comes in from the cockpit saying "Well, you can forget your troubles with those Imperial slugs, I told you I'd outrun them." This possibly implies that this is his first time out of the cockpit since the hyperspace jump. Now, here is where it gets confusing--he then says something about arriving at 0200 hours. What he should be saying is they will be arriving in about TWO minutes! Because the training scene plays straight through for only a couple of minutes before he he says "Looks like we're coming up on Alderaan."

Another possibility of a time jump (very nitpicky, I know) is how long are they on the Death Star? I know the action seems to be very straight forward, but how long did they walk around in all those corridors getting to the elevator and then after the trash compactor? The Death Star is pretty big. When was the last time you were in a really big mall or a huge airport? It can take forever sometimes to get from one end to the other. Like I said, very nitpicky, maybe disregard that one.

Again, we don't know how long it took to get to Yavin IV.

How long did it take the rebels to analyze the plans? Jen told them about the "fuse", right? But surely they had to do some detective work to figure out exactly what to do.

And last but not least, and maybe the most important possible time jump is one I've not heard anyone talk about yet. How long from the time of the Yavin IV battle to the award ceremony? Surely everyone had to be debriefed, clean up, get some rest, get their uniforms pressed, etc before it took place. I will admit I don't know much about the military, maybe some of you military guys and chime in here. How often does a ceremony with that much pomp and circumstance actually take place on the day of the battle? It could have been the next day, or a few days or even weeks before the ceremony took place. We just don't know.

And last but not least, and maybe the most important possible time jump is one I've not heard anyone talk about yet. How long from the time of the Yavin IV battle to the award ceremony? Surely everyone had to be debriefed, clean up, get some rest, get their uniforms pressed, etc before it took place. I will admit I don't know much about the military, maybe some of you military guys and chime in here. How often does a ceremony with that much pomp and circumstance actually take place on the day of the battle? It could have been the next day, or a few days or even weeks before the ceremony took place. We just don't know.

...repair R2......& clean up 3PO

J

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back