Star Trek Continues

I really like it! It was an excellent example of a classic Trek concept with social commentary, (albiet a bit cliche). Still, it's what made Trek so important as a series and it just astonishes me that Vic and crew can piece together something like this with essentially no budget, and mega-production companies, with all their money and resources, fail at so spectacularly today.

Also, great to see John DeLancie!!

Another thumbs up for Vic

Last edited by a moderator:
My non-spoiler review:

Certainly spades better than their last release.

While the episode wasn't written as dramatically as it could've been, at least Kirk drives some of the action in the episode. Yet he doesn't make any difficult choice or decision. Nothing weighs on him an an interesting fashion.

"What Ships Are For" still has the same issues that plague all STC episodes: an interesting concept that isn't played out in a dramatic television fashion.

The TOS characters are misused and misunderstood. STC continues to miss the mark on Kirk, Spock and McCoy—including utilizing Spock and McCoy as two sides of Kirk working through a difficult decisions. In STC, Spock mostly spews exposition and McCoy is merely snide.

Kirk is more Picard than the Kirk of TOS. Heck this episode even had Kirk debate the situation with the Counselor rather than with Spock and McCoy.

STC is TNG in TOS drag.

"Still Treads The Shadow", was a nice comeback episode for STC. After the subpar "Embracing The Winds" episode, I was afraid the show had lost its mojo. But it hasn't. This new episode had a better story, and much better editing and acting than the last one.

I would rank the episodes this way:

1) Pilgrim of Eternity (Absolutely amazing! The closest they've come to a real TOS episode. Stunningly close. An episode to be worshipped.)
2) Fairest of Them All (Brilliant! Favorite line? Kirk to Uhura, "Good girl.". Chilling.)
3) Lolani (Loved it! An Orion Slave girl and Big Lou...how can you go wrong?!)
4) The White Iris (A little slow at times, but a powerful payoff at the end, which enhances the episode upon reflection, and repeat viewings.)
5) Divided We Stand (Supremely done. A step below The White Iris, only because there's so little Enterprise in it.)
6) Still Treads The Shadow (A tour de force by Vic in his dual role. Sharma does an excellent job--in spite of her voice/style of speaking being conspicuously modern. Story sags a bit in the middle, but starts and finishes strong.)
7) Come Not Between The Dragons (This episode suffers because Kirk takes a back seat to Gigi Edgly's character. Kirk needs to be the star of every episode. But the story was good and the creature fabrication was stellar.)
8) Embracing The Winds (Suffers from thin story, slow pace, and loose editing. I didn't care for the performances Gray or Kramer, but the writing and editing could've been partly responsible for that.)

I love this series! I wish we could get 24 episodes of it!! Heck, make that 79! But, I'll eagerly await the final three.

The Wook

I've only quoted myself here, to see where I might rank, What Ships Are For, on the list of STC episodes. Lemme think...

I really liked this latest episode. It was a great story--very much in the mold of classic TOS stories. It moved pretty well, and got an excellent performance from JDL. When he dressed Kirk down, ending with, "Who do you think you are?", it was very dramatic, and the best scene of the episode. You know a scene's powerful when you rewind to watch it a few times--which I did--before continuing with the episode.

Not too much to complain about. Sure, the show seems a bit small some of the time--a bit too noticeably in WSAF, I'd say--but that's to be expected with such a limited budget. And I never liked McKennah being on the show, because she's not original, and takes away from other characters like Spock and McCoy. I agree with @Clark J Kent, in that Kirk should be receiving counsel from those two, rather than her. Maybe @Treadwell can speak to why she's even on the show. I mean, they go to such fantastic lengths to faithfully recreate TOS, but they add a made-up key member of the crew who gets important lines in each episode...lines that would otherwise be given to TOS characters that are in Jim's inner circle. Why?? In this episode, I particularly hated her, "Damn, I'm good.", line, It felt so out of place. Nothing against the actress. I just don't think the character belongs on the ship in a regular capacity. She should've been one and done, in whatever episode she fit best.

As much as I enjoyed What Ships Are For, it does not crack my Top 3. And it's not down there with CNBTD and ETW, either. Gosh, it's been so long since I've seen TWI, DWS, and STTS, I don't know quite where to put What Ships Are For. Some day I'll watch them all again, and that'll sort out its position. But for now, I'll just say that it's in the middle of the pack...probably in the 5 or 6 position. But maybe 4, I dunno.

Either way, another feather in Vic's cap!

The Wook

Last edited:
I only just discovered this ... I'm in the middle of episode 1. (Where have I been?)
This is absolutely terrific! It has that quality that hits enough of the look and feel that I can sink into the show without being distracted by scrutinizing for flaws. The camera work, lighting, cinematography and especially those sets are spot on! They even have false jeopardy act breaks!
The casting is also superb (is that Grant? LOL. it IS!).
They feel like this could have been a continuation with a recast from the originals. They didn't come across as actors trying to impersonate Shatner, Nimoy etc.
I'm especially liking this Kirk. He's more Kirk than Pine is, that's for sure.
The actor playing Uhura - her voice gets eerily close Nichols' voice at times.
And the music! The music!
This show (so far) is a real treat! I hope the other episodes sustain this same standard.

Last edited:
I only just discovered this ... I'm in the middle of episode 1. (Where have I been?)
This is absolutely terrific! It has that quality that hits enough of the look and feel that I can sink into the show without being distracted by scrutinizing for flaws. The camera work, cinematography and especially those sets are spot on! They even have false jeopardy act breaks!
The casting is also superb (is that Grant? LOL. it IS!).
They feel like this could have been a continuation with a recast from the originals. They didn't come across as actors trying to impersonate Shatner, Nimoy etc.
I'm especially liking this Kirk. He's more Kirk than Pine is, that's for sure.
The actor playing Uhura - her voice gets eerily close Nichols' voice at times.
And the music! The music!
This show (so far) is a real treat! I hope the other episodes sustain this same standard.

Welcome to the fan club! I wouldn't read too much of this thread as there are lots of spoilers here.

As for the ep you're halfway through--Pilgrim of Eternity--did you go back and re-watch the TOS episode it's a sequel to? I highly suggest you do so. Unless you've already seen it and remember it well enough. It's called, Who Mourns for Adonais?. It was a real coup that Vic was able to get the same actor to reprise his role as Apollo. He did a fantastic job!

I won't say another word.

The Wook

Welcome to the fan club! I wouldn't read too much of this thread as there are lots of spoilers here.

As for the ep you're halfway through--Pilgrim of Eternity--did you go back and re-watch the TOS episode it's a sequel to? I highly suggest you do so. Unless you've already seen it and remember it well enough. It's called, Who Mourns for Adonais?. It was a real coup that Vic was able to get the same actor to reprise his role as Apollo. He did a fantastic job!

I won't say another word.

The Wook
No need. I know just about every TOS episode by heart.
Yes, I thought that might be the same actor. You saved me a search.

Finished first episode. That was delightful.
Now I would really be floored it if the production makes it out to Vasquez Rocks at some point.

I just started the third episode, "Fairest of Them All". The opening monologue has me giggling with glee.
I'm watching the first 7 minutes again before I continue.

Yes, that was awesome!

But wait...no thoughts on Lolani?? A lot of folks rank that as their favorite episode! I love it, but rank it 3rd on my list.

The Wook

Yes, that was awesome!

But wait...no thoughts on Lolani?? A lot of folks rank that as their favorite episode! I love it, but rank it 3rd on my list.

The Wook
Lolani was a very good TOS story.

The story reminds me a lot of "A Private Little War" where you can't quite discern if the captain's motives aren't driven by external influence. In both cases you can argue that a female (+ mind control) drove him to violate Federation law and, in both cases, one can also argue his choices were completely rational. I believe the truth lies somewhere in between. Lolani was also one of those terrifically tragic figures (like the Organians in "An Errand of Mercy") that, through personal sacrifice, leave Kirk and his crew questioning their moral compass.

One tiny gripe: For me, Lou Ferrigno and his voice have become so culturally iconic it was sometimes challenging to suspend disbelief and see him as his character. It didn't help that Kirk's first line after meeting him was, "Well that was unexpected." He's right. It was unexpected. Don't get me wrong - it didn't spoil the episode at all. Lou did a terrific job. His costuming and makeup were superb! It's a small nitpick.

I liked it a lot but I'm going to have to see them all before I start assigning favorites because the series is still surprising me with each episode.

Lolani was a very good TOS story.

The story reminds me a lot of "A Private Little War" where you can't quite discern if the captain's motives aren't driven by external influence. In both cases you can argue that a female (+ mind control) drove him to violate Federation law and, in both cases, one can also argue his choices were completely rational. I believe the truth lies somewhere in between.

Yup, I see that.

I would be a terrible starship captain. I'd have been putty in both of those girls' hands. Especially Nona's. Even without the mahko root.

The Wook

More notes from someone who just discovered this show on Friday:

A funny thing happened the last couple of episodes. I actually found myself almost starting to cry with the opening monologue and credits.

It occurred to me that this show accomplishes a kind of nostalgia that I can no longer get from watching TOS episodes. Over the years I know TOS episodes so well I've forgotten what it was like watching them for the first time. I haven't felt that way in decades.

With the opening credits I'm suddenly a kid again sitting on the carpet in front of the Zenith TV set in my grandparents apartment engaged in this amazing show I just discovered.

More notes from someone who just discovered this show on Friday:

A funny thing happened the last couple of episodes. I actually found myself almost starting to cry with the opening monologue and credits.

It occurred to me that this show accomplishes a kind of nostalgia that I can no longer get from watching TOS episodes. Over the years I know TOS episodes so well I've forgotten what it was like watching them for the first time. I haven't felt that way in decades.

With the opening credits I'm suddenly a kid again sitting on the carpet in front of the Zenith TV set in my grandparents apartment engaged in this amazing show I just discovered.

I know what you mean. It's an unfortunate side effect to watching our favorite stuff over and over and over again. Between 1985 and 1995 I deliberately did not watch ESB. And then, when I finally watched it after that decade-long break, it was an amazingly fresh experience. Sure, I remembered all the big stuff. But there were also lots of little things I'd forgotten, and it was such a treat to be able to experience them again for the *almost* first time.

Btw, did you finish Fairest of Them All? What did you think?

The Wook

I know what you mean. It's an unfortunate side effect to watching our favorite stuff over and over and over again. Between 1985 and 1995 I deliberately did not watch ESB. And then, when I finally watched it after that decade-long break, it was an amazingly fresh experience. Sure, I remembered all the big stuff. But there were also lots of little things I'd forgotten, and it was such a treat to be able to experience them again for the *almost* first time.

Btw, did you finish Fairest of Them All? What did you think?

The Wook
Fairest of Them All was chock full of terrific stuff. I loved it. The woman playing Marlena was a great find. I LOL'd and clapped when I saw the shuttle. The script was very polished.
I even loved the closing credits which changed to the style - showing them over stills from past episodes and the last one being the Orion slave girl. LMAO.

I will post my own detailed reviews of each episode after I'm done. ( Naturally I haven't read other reviews in above posts.)

I've mostly avoided fan made Trek but with all the positive feedback here I'm looking forward to checking this one out. Even in the short clips I've watched so far, you can tell it's a true labor of love.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back