TOS Cylon Basestar - modify Revell kit to match filming model

Marko@Rockvoice

Hey folks!

I recently discovered 3 boxes of the TOS basestar kit by Revell/Monogram.

After some investigation in reference photos, I think I discovered the main issues with this kit.

(1) The diameter to height ratio is incorrect. The kit is about 1,5 cm too high.

(2) the edges are too thick

(3) the inner tube is too fat

(4) details on the fuselage also raised too high

So, what I did to my testmodel is as follows:

I sanded the edges thinner and pressure-glued the 2 halves together. That solved the problem of the 5 "hangar openings" of not beeing parallel.
basestar1.jpg

As a result, the basestar has become more flat apperance.
Here next to the unmodified kit (on the left):

basestar2.jpgbasestar3.jpg

Here's the next problem:
On the studiomodel, the slope taper sharp to the edge, but with the kit there is a 3,5 mm rim.
basestar4.jpg

Not sure what to do here.
There is no other way than to cut all parts and re-arrange them correctly.
That could also solve the problem of the inner tube that has an incorrect diameter.

I am open to ideas!

It looks so much better already! Did you use a belt sander to reduce the thickness?

Sorry, no idea what to do with rim.

I guess the only way to make this one more studiomodel-like is to cut it into pieces and re-arrange the parts around a new middle-tube.

I have no idea why Revell/Monogram made the middle thicker, but the tube should have a diameter like this:

basestar5.jpg

I tried something on the upper half to match the original:
triming and sanding out the 5 upper whatever-this-is
basestar6.jpg

This is actually kinda funny... I recently got one of these kits and had had the exact same reaction... DImensions all wrong too tall for the diameter and the side "edge" walls way to thick. the inner diameter did not bother me so much though - although I agree with you it is wrong. But here is what I plan to do with it - I haven't done it yet but these are my ideas for it when I get to it.

1) Cutout the landing runways and reduce the height of the inner wall by a TBD height.. 1/4 of an inch would be a guess (I'd try a few heights until it looked right to me. resulting in a height change of "around" 1 inch total.

2) Build the runways and sidewalls with a bit more detail than was originally there. Locking in the new height.

3) remove the flat verticals of the outer edges leaving a bare triangle. this has the effect of virtually eliminating the two "tips" at the end of each runway but they are pretty easily rebuilt , or if careful enough perhaps 2 paper thin tips can be saved and glued together... Clamp and Glue the mother together...

4) I did not find the surface detailing as offensive as you did. When I compared to studio model pics I was "OK" with what was there even if as you correctly pointed out its a bit too tall/ in your face. I figured that could be toned down with paint to my satisfaction... but I might be convinced to overhaul it as I see your modifications :) (your Galactica mods are off the hook)

5) Paint a base of a neutral gray - normally I'd wash to pic out the details - But as you pointed out these are overly tall anyway so some careful dry brushing away from those would make surrounding detail pop drawing the eye away from the larger details I think is in order.

Kinda glad that someone besides me thinks this is a worthwhile project... seeing the GREAT Galactica kits that are out now it seemed to me like this needed to be done :).

Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade: You are free to join this thread with your building progress!
We can benefit from each other.

- - - Updated - - -
Jedi Dade: You are free to join this thread with your building progress!
We can benefit from each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately all of my building is on hold for a bit. Upgrades to my basement (where my bench is) to make it semi-waterproof are in the works. So everything is torn apart and partially moved to the Garage while work commences. Plus I'm traveling EVERY DARN week for work these days... I need a freakin' vacation so bad...

But - if I get my act together in time I'd gladly post my progress :D

Jedi Dade

yeah mate, can post step by step instructions, and tools required, also people i've noticed people refer to remodelling, is this meaning just a repaint or is there an obvious way of pulling these thing apart so they can be rebuilt, lol i'm a newbie

I started making conversions like this on my base star about 10 years ago, but every time I think about finishing it now I can't help but think that I'm going to spend hours and hours getting the kit to look reasonable only to have Moebius announce a new retooled kit for their line-up. That's what happened with my Galactica!

Great work! Did this thread move to another place? It’s been six years waiting for a finished image.

I did it!
Cutting, sanding and re-attaching:
View attachment 341216
View attachment 341217

The new middletube has 22 mm less diameter:

View attachment 341218
View attachment 341219

With the reduced height the basestar looks even more authentic
View attachment 341220

some syrene to complete the surface
View attachment 341221

upper and lower halves: these need to be painted before attachment
View attachment 341222
Now that's what I'm talking about... If you did nothing else you've already improved it dramatically.

Jedi Dade

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back