Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial (Master Thread)

Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial

I didn't realize the trooper trent stencils didn't apply to the grenade section. Got any tips for how to paint that area?

I didn't realize the trooper trent stencils didn't apply to the grenade section. Got any tips for how to paint that area?

Spray the whole thing black and then acetone on a rag lightly to remove from the tops. Better still spin in a lathe/drill chuck. You'll still need to remove some paint in the grooves to be accurate, I'd suggest a toothpick while the paint is a few hours old :)

Spray the whole thing black and then acetone on a rag lightly to remove from the tops. Better still spin in a lathe/drill chuck. You'll still need to remove some paint in the grooves to be accurate, I'd suggest a toothpick while the paint is a few hours old :)

I'll give it a shot. Thanks Tom!

i have that part covered in the first tutorial, i will cover it again. we have a great shot of the V2 on the emperors throne, granted the clamp is in the wrong orientation, BUT we can reference the marks with the cone knob

ive been working very late this past week, to hopefully get ahead so i dont have to work this weekend. if i dont work, i will be updating this thread sunday night with a BIG surprise ;)

These are your friends for paint removal and aging

c762acf3d9e8d5e55460fe363484022b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might be a stupid question, but what kind of black paint do you guys use? Is there a recommended type to get the best results on aluminium?

Loneken

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

really nice work Halliwax! I will have to get my shiz out, looking forward to getting the stencil too!

Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial

Might be a stupid question, but what kind of black paint do you guys use? Is there a recommended type to get the best results on aluminium?

Loneken

UPDATE: 8-7-18

I am updating this post, I USED to use a krylon paint. I have no ditched this and gone with Scottjua's Paint and technique. I am in the process of doing a video, but have some missing pieces that i will film once i start on the next v2. so heres the run down..

020066757885.jpg

I now use Rustoleum High performance Flat black 7578

-spray 2 coats on the v2
-allow 5-6 hours to cure
-remove stencils
-begin rubbing edges of all the paint chips with kebab skewer to roughing the edges. (makes them look like real chips)
-take a paper towel, and randomly buff sections of the chips. i dont buff the whole thing, i tackle 1 chip at a time and only section of it. this makes the paint chips really look like 40 year old chips
-once im satisfied with the results, i spray the whole thing with rustoleum matte clear coat. light mists...

i then lightly buff the metal sections, rings, between the pommel and booster, and random areas on the emitter.

Im going to try and finish up this video next. i saw someone recently ask about getting krylon and totally forgot i ditched this paint. using rustoleum flat black also insures a safe wind vane color when using trent's wind vane color tutorial

020066757885.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

or, cut thin strips of masking tape and wrap the rings before you paint. Then just peel them off with the stencils. I didn't include stencils for the grenade rings because those shapes are tapered (difficult to estimate the diameter of a flattened tapered ring), there are so many of them (two per ring), they are so close together (difficult to apply), and there aren't many good reference shots of them. So for that section, just mask off the outer rings, then look at your reference pics and approximate the major scratches to your liking.

I use this on my v2 builds

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180511/07a00d470ade7a54acfd00d88efeee01.jpg

I am not a krylon person... always hated their spray paint, seems like it takes forever for it to dry. I have always been a rustoleum person...

Anyway, I bought this stuff because it has a built in primer. And what I like about it is if applied in splotches, since it has a primer it gives a different dimension to the paint after you remove the stencils

Basically, if you wanted a smooth even coat finish on anything else, you need to cover the whole piece again, otherwise it would come out blotchy and spotty...

It really sucks, BUT for a old ages paint job, this works out great!!

I also use kyrlon’s crystal clear matte clear coat, I never mix clear coat brands. Never had any luck with mixing so I stick with the same brands

I've never had any luck with any kind of off the shelf paint + primer. It always comes off and doesn't stick. I ended up getting automotive clear primer, to get my paints/clear coats to stick.

I've never had any luck with any kind of off the shelf paint + primer. It always comes off and doesn't stick. I ended up getting automotive clear primer, to get my paints/clear coats to stick.

Prep... I’ve never had a problem with any of my rattle cans

I use this on my v2 builds

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180511/07a00d470ade7a54acfd00d88efeee01.jpg

I am not a krylon person... always hated their spray paint, seems like it takes forever for it to dry. I have always been a rustoleum person...

Anyway, I bought this stuff because it has a built in primer. And what I like about it is if applied in splotches, since it has a primer it gives a different dimension to the paint after you remove the stencils

Basically, if you wanted a smooth even coat finish on anything else, you need to cover the whole piece again, otherwise it would come out blotchy and spotty...

It really sucks, BUT for a old ages paint job, this works out great!!

I also use kyrlon’s crystal clear matte clear coat, I never mix clear coat brands. Never had any luck with mixing so I stick with the same brands

Thanks for sharing this!

I've always used Rust-Oleum professional flat black enamel. You know, the tall silver cans?Krylon is no good in the GA humidity.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

I got flat black rustoleum with primer. Pretty much the same deal as the Krylon. Think it’ll work?

I got flat black rustoleum with primer. Pretty much the same deal as the Krylon. Think it’ll work?

EDIT: 7-8-2018

I really like the high performance flat black 7578. its cheap, and can be found at home depot, lowes, ace hard ware

and when buffed in sections with a paper towel it gives a nice "Satin" finish

Last edited:

Thanks Danny for those really nice info.

Tried the dishwasher trick with oxiclean
(thanks amazon.com because in europe its difficult to find it ... or an equivalent product).

After 1 round in the dishwasher, used some steel wool and the result is really nice. Pretty homogeneous.

Also did the dremel trick on the rod, and aluminium black to darken the mystery chunk (not happy with the result. Will try something else)

Need to adjust the length of the thread inside the emitter.
13da5fae1348fef1be3c778dcaf606d5.jpg
eb9a7ddd61f44a8ceae34edeede8bbcc.jpg
d51c42523066df4e8f1cebc2753552f4.jpg
a3687a94eef83fb4e7f3aaff82fcb972.jpg
8719897398d33b5a113c37121ecbeaaf.jpg
56f4fec13bbdd597abc76b126810f769.jpg

Weathered mine stencils next first time using aliminium black [emoji16] thanks for the tutorial was a huge help
c76dfbcb3738d563f3fc4f86a22fdcfa.jpg
1c022fdfbacd5811d4e3041af845b220.jpg
e54b791a327fab4386769313a01b5cb9.jpg
7f655745b3b472cb1dc6fb81cc9e1e5b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Prep... I’ve never had a problem with any of my rattle cans

SPEAKING OF prep, what tips do you have for prepping this, I think degreaser after the stencils are on would destroy the stencils and degreaser before the stencils would remove the aluminum black ageing...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back